Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of vendors & aftermarket parts, as well as find local shops for working on your Subaru.

Old 2007-01-22, 09:38 AM   #1
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default ACT Unsprung 6 Puck clutch kit and StreetLite Flywh

ACT Unsprung 6 puck clutch kit: $575 ACT StreetLite Flywheel: $325

Well, I now have a hundred or so street miles and 165 track miles on this setup and wanted to post my first impressions...

For an unsprung clutch, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and lightened flywheel, this setup is surprisingly streetable and kicks ass slamming gears launching through the Hot Pits at Thunderhill.

I'm not saying it is a smooth as silk stocker, but so far I have only stalled it once starting in reverse on my steep driveway. I'm not sure how, but with a soft foot, you can actually slip it a little and maneuver at low speeds, including loading on a trailer, etc.

It will buck a little if you get the RPM and clutch position just right, so don't do that.

It takes all of my 316 ft lbs of torque without a problem. The 0-about 100MPH from pit in to turn 1 feels great. I'm still learning the timing and "rev matching" on the up shift, but believe me I am not wasting time babying the clutch. This baby hooks up and takes the power immediately.

I'm pretty dang happy so far. Oh, and I put a stainless clutch line and Motul 600 fluid in while we had the tranny out.

I think the ProLite flywheel would have been overkill, and would have been less streetable IMHO.

Thanks again Mike Warfield at GST Motorsports for recommending this configuration.
Old 2007-02-19, 06:27 PM   #2
ryan4601
EJ22

Car: 2004 wrx

I have this exact same set up, but on my WRX 5 speed and i will have to agree with dean on its power holding and street ablitity. Initially after the install it was a bit harsh on the engagement, but after about 300 city miles now it has smoothed out quite a bit and it is very streetable. Although there is some chatter if you get it just right, for the most part it is pretty smooth. Overall, for the cost it is a great set up for holding lots of TQ. Mike W also suggested this set up to me.
my 2cents.
ryan
ryan4601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 07:27 AM   #3
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

The best part is getting to watch Dean stall his car at the stoplight @ Robb and Sharlands leaving the meet!

Glad that clutch is feeling better Ryan! Hell, even as "picky" as it was when it was new, it was still leaps and bounds above that old 3 puck!
Old 2007-02-20, 11:03 AM   #4
ryan4601
EJ22

Car: 2004 wrx

for sure cory....and it isnt as picky these days. The feel is still pretty stiff, but not as hard as when it was just installed. Overall im very happy with it and am hoping it continues to break in just a bit more.
ryan
ryan4601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 11:15 PM   #5
wrxkidid
EJ205

Car: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. 5.7l
Class: None :/

Cory, just put a 4g63 in it.

i wish i could run a better clutch on my car but i dont want to break the gears. i have the streetlite though and i like it as well
Old 2007-02-21, 04:06 PM   #6
murphy
EJ22

Car: 03 evo, 06 R6

I was wondering how it would be on the street...I picked the same setup for the RX-7
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 05:46 PM   #7
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

As Cory noted, It still catches me when I am not paying attention, especially after driving the Audi or Truck for any length of time.

It bites quickly, so it your right foot isn't already calling for more gas, the sudden grab is sufficient to stall the car.

It's no street clutch, but it can be slipped enough to be streetable. Mine is better in reverse than 1st... Weird.
Old 2007-02-21, 10:56 PM   #8
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

^Speaking of clutches Dean, we got the Organic installed and it feels so smoothe and nice just like stock. Good choice! and it holds the power nicely not overkill or under.
Old 2007-02-22, 06:32 AM   #9
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
^Speaking of clutches Dean, we got the Organic installed and it feels so smoothe and nice just like stock. Good choice! and it holds the power nicely not overkill or under.
Don't tell me, get Loren to post a review...
Old 2007-02-22, 11:57 AM   #10
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Good Idea^
Old 2007-07-02, 12:02 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Bump.

I'm looking to replace my Exceedy Hypersingle with something stiffer. I'm thinking ACT 4-puck clutch and ProLite flywheel, which would be the less streetable step up from the 6-puck/streetlite version Dean posted about.

Anyone have some info on going this route? Anyone know if I can keep my Exceedy flywheel to use with this clutch? I'm actually quite the clutch n00b, since I bought the hypersingle simply because I was able to get one two weeks used for $500 off the normal price. I never really did any clutch shopping in the past.
Old 2007-07-02, 12:17 PM   #12
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

I think all you need is a new disk or you could just replace the material on your existing plate which would be uber cheap parts wise. Same labor though.

Here is just the 4 puck disk. Did your Exedy come with a better pressure plate?

All flywheels should be compatible unless specifically stated as being/requiring a full set of clutch/flywheel. You will want to refinish it though.

Last edited by Dean; 2007-07-02 at 12:30 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-02, 12:25 PM   #13
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I'm pretty sure the HyperSingle is a smaller diameter than standard clutches and flywheels. Part of the advantage of the HyperSingle and HyperTwin is reduced rotating mass. Replacement discs (and flywheel mating surfaces) are available, but it's entirely possible that a new ProLite flywheel and 4 puck is less than the cost of replacing the clutch disc when you factor in selling the rebuildable remains of the Exedy you have Scott.
Old 2007-07-02, 12:28 PM   #14
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Reading the chart on that link though, you might want to go with the 6 puck. Won't take quite as much power as the 4, but will take more heat...
Old 2007-07-02, 12:41 PM   #15
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS View Post
I'm pretty sure the HyperSingle is a smaller diameter than standard clutches and flywheels. Part of the advantage of the HyperSingle and HyperTwin is reduced rotating mass. Replacement discs (and flywheel mating surfaces) are available, but it's entirely possible that a new ProLite flywheel and 4 puck is less than the cost of replacing the clutch disc when you factor in selling the rebuildable remains of the Exedy you have Scott.
I think they are both 240mm clutch discs, but the Exedy is sold as a kit only as far as I can tell, so not sure if they did something proprietary on their plate-flywheel connection vs. stock.

ACT is definitely compatible with stock or their flywheels.

You might be able to drop a multi-plate into your Exedy plate/flywheel, but not sure...

No matter what, make sure whatever you get comes with a new throwout bearing.
Old 2007-07-02, 01:50 PM   #16
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

If anyone comes across any good deals on the 6 puck, let me know, I'm near needing one. I should probably give GST a call..
Old 2007-07-02, 05:07 PM   #17
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

GST's prices are that great on the ACT bits. I found the 4-puck elsewhere for $100 cheaper than the 6-puck.

As far as rebuilding the hypersingle: it's near impossible to find anyone that will sell you the bits to rebuild it, and it would end up costing me hundreds of dollars anyway... like $500 for a puck disk I've heard. They hypersingle is proprietary, the flywheel and clutch are specific to each other. So, not much I can salvage out of that setup... which is why I'd like to go to the ACT stuff... if I kill the 4-puck, I can swap in the 6-puck, or the street setup, or pretty much whatever... hell, I can even put stock bits in there if necessary.

I found both the 4-puck clutch kit (SB4-HDR4) and ProLite FW (ACT-600240) here, for about $800 not including shipping: http://www.mach1car.com but I don't know anything about them.

With regards to 4-puck vs. 6-puck... they hold the same power, the 6-puck is a little more streetable and handles higher temperatures, but the 4-puck is lighter and most places seem to sell it for just a little less. Since my car is never on the street, I'm not worried about driveability. Plus, I don't think my clutch sees all that much heat... I'm not launching it... at least when I'm not pissed off leaving the pits trying to get a clear track. So, I think I'd rather save $20 and gain the faster response of the 4-puck.

But, after pulling the car off the trailer and taking it for a lap around the block... I'm not 100% the hypersingle is dead. I'm sure I glazed the crap out of it, but it seems to be coming back a bit. I'm probably just going to bleed the pedal, and see if the catch point goes back to where it's supposed to be.
Old 2007-07-02, 06:16 PM   #18
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

I like the ACT stuff, so I'm not going to disagree with your logic in that direction.

Have you driven the 6 puck/streetlite? It is quite grabby even on upshifts I can only imagine that the 4 puck/prolite is even worse. less rotating mass is good, but upsetting the car is also bad. Just something to consider.

I assume you mean flush not bleed which sounds good. I had them put Motul 600 in my clutch and put in a stainless line at the same time. I'm hoping the fluid should last as long as the clutch because taking my top mount out to flush it is no fun.
Old 2007-07-02, 08:01 PM   #19
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I like the ACT stuff, so I'm not going to disagree with your logic in that direction.

Have you driven the 6 puck/streetlite? It is quite grabby even on upshifts I can only imagine that the 4 puck/prolite is even worse. less rotating mass is good, but upsetting the car is also bad. Just something to consider.

I assume you mean flush not bleed which sounds good. I had them put Motul 600 in my clutch and put in a stainless line at the same time. I'm hoping the fluid should last as long as the clutch because taking my top mount out to flush it is no fun.
Motul is notorious for collecting water over time. I'm going to flush w/ good old ATE.

Upshifting isn't really an issue for upsetting the car, you rarely upshift while turning. And I double-clutch/rev-match my downshifts out of habit, which the lighter fllywheel/clutch will only make easier/faster.

It's not like there's going to be a dramatic difference between the 4 and 6 puck and the lighter FW. We're not talking about a 3 plate carbon fiber clutch that has a 4" flywheel and zero rotational inertia...