Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > User Classifieds

User Classifieds Got stuff to sell? Looking for something to buy? Check here!

Old 2011-12-29, 08:24 PM   #1
drfunk
EJ22

Car: 2003 subi 25rs turbo
Default clutch kit for a turbo rs

Time to replace the clutch on my 2003 rs turbo. I'm making around 220 at the wheels. A wonderful daily driver. I have been using the stock clutch til' now. I want something that will last a little longer and was intended for this motor to be turbo charged. What are you guys using as far as clutch kits go for a turbo rs. The kit needs to contain the pilot,throughout bearings, clutch, and pressure plate...everything for a total exchange. Also what are your recommendations for a lighter flywheel? Maybe a kit that includes that too. Thanks for the input. I will be ordering asap.
Old 2011-12-29, 08:56 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

ACT Streetlite flywheel, no contest there. There are other good options, but that one can be had for about $230 shipped. As for clutch, I like the ACT 6 puck on their stage 1 pressure plate. It's a tad heavy, but easy to modulate. If you drive in a lot of traffic stay with something stockish, but if you don't do stop-and-go you will like it. That's the setup I had in my RS, and now in the wagon race car.
Old 2011-12-29, 09:57 PM   #3
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I wouldn't bother with a lightweight flywheel IMO. I had one in my car (also a DD) and I didn't really care for how fast the rpms dropped off when downshifting. Also, I have had 2 sets of the Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit. It has an organic disc just like the stock wrx so its pretty forgiving and holds more power.
Old 2011-12-29, 10:26 PM   #4
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I like the ACT Streetlite FW. Just beware that you will get the notorious Subie deceleration noise, which doesn't bother me. It helps a bit with rev matching and acceleration in 1st and 2nd gears. Not amazing, but I think it's money well spent if you're doing the clutch anyway.

I also have the Exedy Stage 1 and it's okay, but it does slip a little too much for my liking on a hard launch sometimes. I'm at around 215 torque/HP to the wheels so should be similar. It's great for the street though. Feels stock.
Old 2011-12-30, 08:52 AM   #5
sedonabugeye
EJ251

Car: Leggy wagon/Bugeye/megacab

Personally I agree w juice.. I would stay w a stock flywheel and go with an act clutch.. I've had act and exedy in my car and love my act.. I'm using the xtreme duty (xd-ss) which will
Be too much for your application, but the less clamping force version will suit you nicely. Full face organic disc w a solid pedal feel.
Old 2011-12-30, 09:49 AM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Like Cody said, the easier/faster engine speed changes are the point of the flywheel. It's also less wear on your synchros if you're not perfectly rev-matching, and very few of us born in the era of good synchros are capable of that.
Old 2011-12-30, 10:32 AM   #7
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I would skip the 6 puck unless your primary purpose is track/autocross. While it is streetable, it is not fun to drive on the street and will likely wear faster than a standard full plate clutch.

Bang for your buck on the Streetlite is questionable too for a street car. If your stocker is in good shape and you aren't all about the track, I wouldn't spend the $s on it.
Old 2011-12-30, 06:44 PM   #8
drfunk
EJ22

Car: 2003 subi 25rs turbo

thanks everyone for your advise. I'll tell you how i like it in a few weeks.