Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2006-01-30, 08:35 AM   #1
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.
Default Help from anyone that knows anything about computers please.

So I have a Dell Dimension 8100, it's about 3 years old, has 128mb of RAM (no joking) and it hasn't worked since sometime last year. It's just been sitting in my room forever. It won't start up at all anymore, the farthest it gets is the screen where it asks you if you want to start in safe mode or not, but then if you choose anything from there, it just restarts again. It originally had Windows ME on it, then my dad had someone install XP and ever since then it's had problems, viruses and all the crap that comes with that. I know I need more memory because XP's minimum requirements are higher then what my comp has now, and I think I need to reinstall XP, only I don't have a disc because I didn't install it. Anybody have any suggestions?

Cliff notes:
1. Computer won't start, ever, should I reinstall XP (can you do that?)
2. I need to upgrade my memory, places to get it cheap?

I just want my damn computer to work! Thanks.
Old 2006-01-30, 08:59 AM   #2
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Unless you have priceless data, yes, I'd rebuild it.

Even if you have priceless data, I can give you a reasonable sized HD you can put in as a new primary.

Memory: If yo uwere a techy person, I'd say whoever is cheapest on Interweb. Base don your computer usage, I'd say whatever local retail store has it on sale. I might have a couple 64-128Mb sticks you could have if I can find them. How fast is the CPU/RAM on the system? Hom many RAM Slots?

If you have the Service Tag number off the system, It is probably easier for one of us to just look it up on-line.

Your choices are to go back to ME and live with it, or pay for a real copy of XP. Usually about $80... You can get them for less on eBay, but I always worry about Authenticity there.
Old 2006-01-30, 09:04 AM   #3
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

I don't think I can go back to ME because I have no idea where that disk went or ever was. I have 2 slots for RAM, apparently it's not "normal" ram. http://www.memorysuppliers.com/sam1280non18.html
Old 2006-01-30, 09:36 AM   #4
sonicsuby
Wagon Ho #2

I'd look at buying something new. Memory, depending on how much you buy, may be expensive and depending on what the max for your system is, you may not be able to get enough memory in there to really solve your problems. Add the cost of memory (if you have to purchase it), which will probably be $50 - $100 and the cost of WinXP, which will run you $80-$100 and you're at a point where it may not be worth it to try salvaging this machine. You may also run in to additional problems as you buy pieces to get it working, such as a bad disk or other stuff. You might look at getting yourself a new PC. They're not that expensive and should be considerably faster than what you have now and they'll include a fresh copy of Windows
sonicsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 09:39 AM   #5
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Considering how cheap a new computer is, just buy a new one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...755102&CatId=6
Old 2006-01-30, 09:42 AM   #6
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

I don't really have um any money. Don't companies do payment plans on PC's? I really, really don't want another bill every month tho, I can barely (well I guess technically I can't) handle the bills I have now.

I didn't see that link before, but that is damn cheap. Not a bad base system either, I just want it to run Photoshop, or run at all.
Old 2006-01-30, 09:50 AM   #7
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I was going to suggest Craigslist. Example

But since you don't have a chunk of change, I'd look at a system from a vendor. Tigerdirect does payment plans so I'd look at JC's suggestion.
Old 2006-01-30, 10:39 AM   #8
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

I have a pair of 128MB RAMBUS DIMMS in my hands you can have, and a decent 30+Gb hard drive if you need it. That should be more than enough to run even XP without pain.

If you are doing hard core photoshop, that may not be enough though.

Unless you have a key for XP, you are pretty much hosed on XP since MS put ther new validation system in for all critical updates.

You could throw linux on it and run one of the OpenSource image editors.
Old 2006-01-30, 10:56 AM   #9
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Except for an OS, Dean's stuff will get you where you want to be. It will take alot more time to get it all configured with new drivers, etc, but might be a good learning experience. If you are going to learn enough about computers that you will be putting your own together in the future, having your own copy of an OS (as opposed to the bundled crap you get with an "over-the-counter" machine) can be beneficial.

I think I've got my old 98se and 2000 OS's laying around at home somewhere if you wanted to run one of them instead of buying XP. You'd still have to download all the drivers for your machine and have them ready.
Old 2006-01-30, 11:12 AM   #10
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I have a pair of 128MB RAMBUS DIMMS in my hands you can have, and a decent 30+Gb hard drive if you need it. That should be more than enough to run even XP without pain.

If you are doing hard core photoshop, that may not be enough though.

Unless you have a key for XP, you are pretty much hosed on XP since MS put ther new validation system in for all critical updates.

You could throw linux on it and run one of the OpenSource image editors.
Is that memory the same type as the kind in the that link I provided? That's the kind I need. It's some special gay type that they only used in computers for like 6 months because it was too expensive to keep producing...or something.
Old 2006-01-30, 11:16 AM   #11
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyS
Except for an OS, Dean's stuff will get you where you want to be. It will take alot more time to get it all configured with new drivers, etc, but might be a good learning experience. If you are going to learn enough about computers that you will be putting your own together in the future, having your own copy of an OS (as opposed to the bundled crap you get with an "over-the-counter" machine) can be beneficial.

I think I've got my old 98se and 2000 OS's laying around at home somewhere if you wanted to run one of them instead of buying XP. You'd still have to download all the drivers for your machine and have them ready.
That would be awesome Scott, I don't really care what OS I have, as long as it runs what I need, which isn't dependant on the type of OS.
Old 2006-01-30, 11:24 AM   #12
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba
Is that memory the same type as the kind in the that link I provided? That's the kind I need. It's some special gay type that they only used in computers for like 6 months because it was too expensive to keep producing...or something.
Yep, pretty heat sinks, and all. And Win2K should be be fine.

I did find XP Pro for under $46 It's download, and they send you a key, but that's cheap.

http://www.ankhsoft.com/info-Microso...ional_SP2.html
Old 2006-01-30, 11:31 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I'd run Win2k on that machine anyway, since 2K runs faster on older machines. Plus a new 30GB system drive and RAM from Dean, and you should have a decent system for running Photoshop 6 and browsing the interweb. All for the low cost of selling your soul to a few SECCS members.
Old 2006-01-30, 11:50 AM   #14
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I'd run Win2k on that machine anyway, since 2K runs faster on older machines. Plus a new 30GB system drive and RAM from Dean, and you should have a decent system for running Photoshop 6 and browsing the interweb. All for the low cost of selling your soul to a few SECCS members.
Hahahaha, selling my soul my ass. I have a 20gig hd so I don't need that. And I think I'll be able to run PS CS, because with all the probs I had when my comp was working, it ran ok. Slow, but still ran. It also ran Counter-Strike 1.6 fine.

What are heat sinks? If that is the right memory (which you guys say it is) then I'd like to take it from you Dean, for however much you want. MS2000 would be awesome to install too. I appreciate the help much.

Last edited by JonnydaJibba; 2006-01-30 at 11:54 AM.
JonnydaJibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 01:11 PM   #15
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

It's the right RAM. Came out of a similar Dell sytem bought during those 6 months. Heat sinks are the pretty blue aluminum covers over the actual chips.

Come and pick them up is all it costs. Just Gathering dust...

Based on your statements about viruses etc. I would suggest a wipe of the OS drive before beginning. If you don't care about the data on your 20GB, go for it. If you do, I'd build the system on a new drive, and get it all loaded with Anti-Virus, etc. and then just make the old one a slave off of the new master to get your data. I have a bunch of spare sub 60gb drives, so it's no big deal if you want one.

Let me know if you want help. If you don't have broadband, you should take it somewhere that does to do the install. Even on Broadband, Windows Update takes well over 1/2 an hour on a fresh install.
Old 2006-01-30, 01:25 PM   #16
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
It's the right RAM. Came out of a similar Dell sytem bought during those 6 months. Heat sinks are the pretty blue aluminum covers over the actual chips.

Come and pick them up is all it costs. Just Gathering dust...

Based on your statements about viruses etc. I would suggest a wipe of the OS drive before beginning. If you don't care about the data on your 20GB, go for it. If you do, I'd build the system on a new drive, and get it all loaded with Anti-Virus, etc. and then just make the old one a slave off of the new master to get your data. I have a bunch of spare sub 60gb drives, so it's no big deal if you want one.

Let me know if you want help. If you don't have broadband, you should take it somewhere that does to do the install. Even on Broadband, Windows Update takes well over 1/2 an hour on a fresh install.
How would I wipe my HD? Just install an OS over the current one? And if I had programs like Norton Anti-virus that I pay a yearly subscription for, could I recover that?

How much do you want for the memory? And for one of the HDs? I dunno cost prices...
Old 2006-01-30, 01:36 PM   #17
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba
How would I wipe my HD? Just install an OS over the current one? And if I had programs like Norton Anti-virus that I pay a yearly subscription for, could I recover that?

How much do you want for the memory? And for one of the HDs? I dunno cost prices...
To wipe the HD, boot from the windows install cd and follow the prompts to delete the existing partition, then install windows in the blank space left. Use NTFS (not FAT) when asked how you want to format the drive. I would skip the NTFS (quick) and spend the time to let it do a true format. Should take 45 minutes on your 20 gig drive. Post up if you get stuck.

To reinstall Norton, you'll want to refer to any email they sent you when you bought it. They should have a license number or somthing in that email you could use to reinstall it. Hopefully Norton will allow you to re-download the installer.
Old 2006-01-30, 01:37 PM   #18
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

No, you need to reformat your HD.
Old 2006-01-30, 01:39 PM   #19
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

I need to reformat? Wtf? Um when I get all the stuff I need (OS and RAM) can somebody help me do that stuff? I saw the words reformat, NTFS, FAT and got confused. I know how to work computers, I just don't know how they work.
Old 2006-01-30, 01:44 PM   #20
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

It's pretty easy, if you've done it before. You should just drop your computer off at Dean's and have him do it...or I'd be happy to walk you through it...
Old 2006-01-30, 01:54 PM   #21
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
It's pretty easy, if you've done it before. You should just drop your computer off at Dean's and have him do it...or I'd be happy to walk you through it...
Well, don't just drop it off at Dean's and have him do it... Dean's place is not a computer repair shop! (Though you wouldn't know it by looking around his house.)

However, I'm sure if you drop by Dean's, he'll be happy to help show you how to do it, assuming he's not busy, since he's a pretty nice guy when it comes to helping people out.
Old 2006-01-30, 01:59 PM   #22
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Well Dean if you aren't busy sometime that would be awesome. Sorry, I didn't mean to volunteer you, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2006-01-30, 02:16 PM   #23
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Well, don't just drop it off at Dean's and have him do it... Dean's place is not a computer repair shop! (Though you wouldn't know it by looking around his house.)

However, I'm sure if you drop by Dean's, he'll be happy to help show you how to do it, assuming he's not busy, since he's a pretty nice guy when it comes to helping people out.
Yah, that's what I meant...bring it by Dean's if he's willing to show you how. You have to go there to get RAM anyway...plus it's fun to volunteer other people to do stuff.

But if he's busy, you could bring it to my place and I can help you out.
Old 2006-01-30, 02:24 PM   #24
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Right now my schedule looks too crazy to get in a reinstall party, but I'll see if I can find my Win2K stuff at home tonight. That $45 for XP is pretty nice, though. I sure like the perks of XP over 2000, myself.
Old 2006-01-30, 03:22 PM   #25
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Get the stuff from Scotty, and we will work on it.

Sounds like you have data you want to keep, so my idea of usiing a new OS hard drive sounds best. We can then salvage data etc. from your drive after scanning the crap out of it!

I will not be available from Wed-Sun. this week. so tomorow or next week will have to do unless you want to just grab the HW from me, and hit Cody up since he voulenteered himself after he voulenteered me...