Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2006-04-19, 03:26 PM   #1
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"
Default Rules

SECCS Toca Race Driver 3 Challenge

If you have the best time for the week, you get to make the rules for the next challenge, unless a driver wins their own challenge. They still get the win, but the second fastest driver picks the next challenge.

Standard Rules:
-Time Trial Mode
- Sim handling / Sim damage
-All available tunings may be manipulated including but not limited to : tires,
anti-roll, gearing, suspension, toe/camber
-No Shortcuts (keep at least 2 wheels above pavement at all times)

I copied the formating / idea from Cody's thread. Since his system seems to work out well.

Last edited by A1337STI; 2006-05-03 at 01:26 PM. Reason: lack of rules/ formating
A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 03:32 PM   #2
EQ Tuning
EJ22

I played Toca 2 on xbox and it was a lot of fun. Is there a version for PS2.
EQ Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 10:51 AM   #3
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

Yep there is : froogle

It thinks I really meant to look for Toca 3 PHP though. With all my spelling errors who can really blame Goggle?

I'm still just on Toca 2, trying to delay getting Toca 3 as I’m not sure if my Video card can handle it. If we get a challenge going I'll switch on over and deal with low fps .

Old 2006-04-20, 11:24 AM   #4
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

I kinda want it. Maybe I'll pick up a used copy sometime.
Old 2006-04-21, 08:52 AM   #5
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

I was down at best buy in carson city last night. They have some buy 1 game for $25 and get $10 off a 2nd game deal. So if anyone wants a few games you should see if they still have that sale going on ! I picked up GT Legands, and Toca 3.

Toca 3 has a time trial mode so it should make a good game for a challenge. After a few others pick it up as well.

Old 2006-05-03, 01:34 PM   #6
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

I've been playing Toca 3 for about a week now. Wow Its a great game! More realistic then Toca 2, GT4, Colin 05. I don't think its quite as realistic as GT Legands, but i haven't played much with the handling on Pro-sim.

Lots of fun, it has Time trial, World mode, pro career mode, (plus multiplayer) , a lot of adjustable options for the cars + upgrades.

1st Challenge:
Time Trial
GT
GT Lights
Brands Hatch short track

Current time of 38:9x ! Tires full soft & low pro, maxed out negative camber. also this challenge will be open until a week or two after someone else breaks down and buys the game. (btw i'm sure that time is slow)

Old 2006-05-03, 01:47 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Here's the real Toca 3 challenge: play it for more than 20 minutes without throwing something through your monitor.

Toca 3 sucks. Biggest waste of $40 so far this year. Unless they've completely rewritten the wheel input handling and released a patch, I'm never playing it again.
Old 2006-05-03, 01:55 PM   #8
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

LOL, litterally.
Old 2006-05-03, 03:51 PM   #9
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

*sarcasm* Guess you couldn't beat my time then! .

No really, I've had 3 other friends try the game and Love it ... My friend jeremy liked it so much he talked 2 of his friends into buying it the next day.. (i've barely been able to stop playing it)

Jeremy Did have 2 big problems off the bat. He had all the grahpic settings MAXXED and it his system couldn't handle it (He likes to try out max settings). He said with maxed grahpic settings it played horrible. He turned the settings down and it ran fine, but he was also having controller problems. big time. But all he had to do was to download the correct driver for his wheel, and correctly setup the wheel in the options it worked great.

If its the same wheel you use for GT4 , maybe you don't have the correct PC Drivers for it . Also If you have a really really high end wheel and you skipped the controller wizard and or advanced settings you may have missed a few key options. you HAVE to choose different settings if your wheel allows for more then say 270 degrees of spin.

IF its a driver issue, Tell me your wheel make/model and i'll see if i can't find the correct drivers for ya ? (you on winxp ?) I know Cody's wheel works great for GT4 on his ps2, but we couldn't find the correct drivers and it didn't work at all for his computer. I also know for a fact there is nothing wrong with Colin 05, it was just a combination of a wheel with out drivers that was not supported by the game. while that's not the video games fault, i'm sure its still very frustrating. (i tried to play an older colin , like colin 3.0 and it treated the steering wheel as a digital input, so i know how that can make a game unplayable) really stinks cuase its a great game.

Old 2006-05-03, 03:54 PM   #10
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Great is a subjective term.
Old 2006-05-03, 03:58 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

My controller works fine. The problem is that the game uses the same input massaging for wheels that they use for the controllers. Ever notice how you have to constantly saw the wheel back and forth to go straight because the wheel dead-zone is so big?

This topic has already been beat to death:

http://www.seccs.org/forums/showthre...highlight=toca

Bottom line is, Toca 3 has garbage input handling. People that like it simply either don't use a wheel, don't play a lot of sims to know better, or simply don't care. I'd rather play one of my 15 other better driving games than fight w/ Toca's crap interface.
Old 2006-05-03, 04:13 PM   #12
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Yeah, the artifical floaty dead zone is not a drivers issue, its an issue with the game. A lot of people are complaining about it online. It makes the handling much more, er.. difficult, but not exactly realistic.
Old 2006-05-03, 04:15 PM   #13
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

I dunno , You need to come over to my place and have a go at it on my setup. Or i'll record some videos to show its definatly playable, on a PC.

I re-read that other tread. I know what you are talking about, but it plays fine on my setup. i'm sure you'de love the game if the steering input was fluid, and even. (which it is on my setup) Again i have the $70 logitech momo wheel , it came to my office in 2 days off of newegg. i've seen the same own down at carson for like $90. [1 draw back to my wheel is the gas and brake pedals are on the same axis]

I do not have to see saw to keep it straight (then again i have the correct drivers for my wheel and i configured all the settings)

Aparently everyone should test Their PC Setup with the demo to make sure your wheel works with the game.

That sucks Scott, you wasted some $$$ on the game. And i won't get an addtional great competitor.

Old 2006-05-03, 04:17 PM   #14
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

I'm just stating its not Only the video games fault. the problem is only with Certain wheels / input devices. i've got one buddy on a logitech, and an other one on a kmart ps2 style controller both on pc, neither one has a problem. so its just with certain wheels , esp if you don't have a proper set of drivers installed (some pc games will work with PS2 wheels , with out drivers installed) As my buddy jeremy was playing Colin 05 with out any drivers installed. (which did not work for Cody's computer + his wheel) pain in the ass though .

Old 2006-05-03, 04:19 PM   #15
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Tell me why I should play a game that has crappy but "playable" input handling, when I've got GT3, GT4, Tourist Trophy, RB Rally, Forza, rFactor, GTR, GTLegends, and GPL that all do it right?

Plus I've got the *same* wheel you have.. It sucks, you just don't seem to notice.
Old 2006-05-03, 04:40 PM   #16
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

i'm in shock. You have the EXACT same wheel as me? Same game, definatly not A DRIVER ISSUE (pc hardware driver, not operator) , you definatly went into the controller wizard + advanced setup. I belive you, just odd that it works fine for me and my wheel and not your wheel.

My friend John : "dude im playing with a controller where I spliced the wires twisted them together and used some elec tape, and i have a ps2 to usb converter" he got a 38.4 btw

If the steering is that bad for you. then ya it won't be realistic or fun, and you won't have a chance to beat my 38.9xxx

You know i Used to have the same feelings about toca 2, horrible input , horrible dead zone, then i found something in the controller setup that changed everything (EVERYTHING) night and day difference, but i don't recall what. you must be running into what ever my previous issue was though.

sounds to me like your wheel works fine for GT Legands , and is acting drastically , drasticaly different on GT legends then Toca 3 (mine feels / works very similar on both comparing full driving assits in GT to Toca3 "sim" or novice to 1 below Pro and toca3 "full sim" )

*sarcasm* with only 1 person able to play the game happily i see this taking off bigger then the GT4 thread ...

Old 2006-05-04, 09:22 AM   #17
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

Hey sperry,

I completly agree, worst game ever. Hey if you can't return yours may I buy your copy off you for like $5 or something? pretty good deal for the worst game ever IMO

Old 2006-05-04, 09:25 AM   #18
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Hey Alex,

I know my wheel didn't work with Colin 05 (probably because it's so old). Any chance it would work well with Toca 3 in your estimation?
Old 2006-05-04, 09:50 AM   #19
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI
Hey sperry,

I completly agree, worst game ever. Hey if you can't return yours may I buy your copy off you for like $5 or something? pretty good deal for the worst game ever IMO
You know what, and I've told you this before, you don't know me well enough to push my buttons and expect me just to laugh it off as a joke. Once again, whether intentional or not, you insult me with your sarcasm. I let you have the last word, and dropped the issue last night. Why bring this up again today?

How about for $5 I'll sell you my game, and you can cram it up your ass?
Old 2006-05-04, 09:57 AM   #20
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
How about for $5 I'll sell you my game, and you can cram it up your ass?
I'll chip in an extra $5 for that.
Old 2006-05-04, 10:04 AM   #21
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

The problem is you need to lighten up . I am dead searious i will buy your copy off of you if you are unable to return it to the store you bought it from.

You are going to die from stress if you take every little thing in life so damn seariously. I apologized for being a dick when i was one. Now its your turn. I'm just saying i like a game. Asking others to join in on the fun , and you HAVE tell me how horrible it is and that i must not notice how bad the game is. (which implies that i just don't notice the horrible steering input) . so insead of keeping up the argument i agree and offer to buy your copy. and you STILL find a way to be offended. If me agreeing with you, and offering to buy a game off you that you admit you don't like offends you more. Good, deal with life and then move on.

Cody .. I would suspect not, i can ask my buddy Jeremy for the link to the drivers he got for his logitech wheel, you may have a different revision then he does. try out the demo 1st ? IF sperry sells me his copy i'll let you try it out (Don't hold your breath on that one)

Old 2006-05-04, 10:39 AM   #22
Double Phister
EJ22

Car: 2005 WRX STi

"I'm sideways and in control... I look good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
I'll chip in an extra $5 for that.
Pharsyde

I got five on it

/pharsyde
Old 2006-05-04, 10:42 AM   #23
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

I didn't think that crappy song was by Pharcyde.
Old 2006-05-04, 10:50 AM   #24
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
The problem is you need to lighten up . I am dead searious i will buy your copy off of you if you are unable to return it to the store you bought it from.
Please. You call this being "dead serious"?

Quote:
I (and every other litterate person on the planet) call that sarcasm. And there are only two purposes for sarcasm; insult and humor. Given our past "issues" in this area, you should know better than to think you can joke around with me.

Quote:
I'm just saying i like a game. Asking others to join in on the fun , and you HAVE tell me how horrible it is and that i must not notice how bad the game is. (which implies that i just don't notice the horrible steering input) . so insead of keeping up the argument i agree and offer to buy your copy. and you STILL find a way to be offended. If me agreeing with you, and offering to buy a game off you that you admit you don't like offends you more. Good, deal with life and then move on.
I don't know why you don't notice the horrible input handling. I noticed it the very 1st time I turned the wheel on nKoan's copy of the demo. I got my copy hoping it was an issue with the demo code that would be fixed in the release. It wasn't. I played with every setting imaginable. I hacked config files. I followed every tip from the thousands of people online that were trying to figure out how to make this crappy game playable. It's a known problem. Hell, if I had access to the source code I could fix in in a weekend, I've actually written the wheel input handling code the should have used like 6 years ago. The bottom line is, the game is frustrating to play and most of the people on SECCS have tried it and agree, therefore you're going to have a hard fucking time finding people to compete in a Toca 3 challenge.

Quote:
You are going to die from stress if you take every little thing in life so damn seariously. I apologized for being a dick when i was one. Now its your turn.
Unfortunately I'm not sorry for being a dick. Frankly I've got plenty of friends on this board, I'm not interested in fostering a relationship with someone that doesn't have enough common sense to know when to tread lightly, and instead reopens an issue that was for all intents and purposes dead, only for the simple reason to insult me. You're lucky all I'm doing is being a dick, and not banning your smart-ass for trolling.
Old 2006-05-04, 10:55 AM   #25
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
I didn't think that crappy song was by Pharcyde.
That's like one of the best songs ever... yes it's an opinion. It's also been remixed like 8 million times.

Too much tension in here! Anybody have punching bags? Or little brothers?