Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > User Classifieds

User Classifieds Got stuff to sell? Looking for something to buy? Check here!

Old 2010-05-06, 08:08 PM   #1
awoods177
n00b

Car: 01 Scooby 2.5 RS
Default WTB: Shell

Hey everybody I'm new here, and to the whole modification/enthusiast scene. But a buddy and I are planning a project to take just a shell of an older model Impreza RS, or something similar and drop in a WRX engine and all that jazz. So, I'm currently looking for the shell.

Anyone have an Impreza anywhere from like 98-present that is in good physical condition? Not too worried about the internals.

Thanks everyone
awoods177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-06, 09:36 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I'll sell you a bugeye shell w/ a roll cage, you'll just have to give me time to pull out the drivetrain.
Old 2010-05-07, 10:51 AM   #3
WRXlerate
EJ22

Car: 02 Soccermom Wagon
Class: "sleeper"

Destroying V8 Egos 4 cylinders at a time

If Scott's doesn't work out ^^ I would keep an eye on craigslist including the sacto area.
Old 2010-05-07, 10:52 AM   #4
WRXlerate
EJ22

Car: 02 Soccermom Wagon
Class: "sleeper"

Destroying V8 Egos 4 cylinders at a time

How much are you looking to get for yours Scott?
Old 2010-05-07, 11:05 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXlerate View Post
How much are you looking to get for yours Scott?
Like I said in my PM to awoods, I'm not super serious about selling it, because it's actually not a shell, it's a pretty well sorted complete Time Trials car.

It's just that if I were to part the car out (which I've been contemplating off and on for a while since I hardly ever drive it) the hardest thing to sell will probably be the shell/cage. So I was thinking if I could sell that first, it would be a lot easier to part out the drivetrain at a later date.

Considering the cage was around $5k new IIRC, I think the bare shell should be worth around that much even with the bit of body work it needs 'cause it does have a clean title/vin. But the price would vary depending on if the buyer wants the RaceTech seats, harnesses, window nets, etc. Or it they want a roller with the suspension and/or brakes on the car rather than just the shell.

Really, the shell would be ideal for someone that's planning on doing a wide-body race car that already has a built drivetrain waiting to go into it... the interior/cage is pretty much all set to go racing, but the fenders/bumpers need work which would be covered by the widebody anyway.

The bottom line is, I probably won't sell it unless I have a reasonable expectation of parting the everything out to the tune of about $20k, because that's what I'd need to buy a Porsche.
Old 2010-05-07, 03:38 PM   #6
awoods177
n00b

Hey guys thanks for the advice on the sac craigslist...any other good spots (maybe a salvage yard?) to keep an eye out?
Old 2010-05-07, 04:35 PM   #7
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post

Considering the cage was around $5k new IIRC,
Is it FIA Spec? cause i can get a FIA Cage for impreza 93-07 for $2200 shipped with FIA Rated Seats, and SFI 5 point belts , installed for what $800 more? ...

Considering that Scott i'de probably give you 2-3K for a rolling chassis (not seats or belts) assuming its FIA / Rally legal. And yes this is an ass raping, but i can find similar deals on special stage, etc , etc ,looking around. So I actually would buy it. at least for that price. lmk if you are searious at all cause i'm currently looking around for a $500-700 ish car and i'm going the safedrives "rally car in a box kit", for 2200 if not well maybe the 1600 route as i don't need seats twice

Actually if you are at all serious , consider taking your car to the NNR Rally tech inspection to see if it can be rally log booked. (opens up a whole new market of buyers for you as well) ... just rambling out ideas before i leave work for the weekend!

I heard that White Rally PGT WRX that was around town sold for 5K ... (and it came with a motor + transmission)

but ya selling things you spent bank on, for good market prices often is too painful. That's why i'm still holding onto my 3K car stereo , because i can't stomache selling it for less than like 1500 or 2k, but no one will buy it fore more than 800.

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-07, 04:36 PM   #8
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

oh oh oh D&D Dismantlers told me they would sell an impreza Chassis for $300 * Maybe just cause i keep going in there and buying shit...

but that's fully stripped down .. like no doors, no glass no nothing. not sure how much more if you want to keep doors, windows, etc, but depending how hard core of a setup you are going maybe you don't want any of that anywayz?

Old 2010-05-07, 05:15 PM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Alex, there is a world of difference between a stripped, early impreza, no title, junkyard rally shell with a cage, and a wrx shell with full interior minus seats, clean vin chassis. My car is not just street legal, it's actually streetable if you're not running the noisy swirl can/pump in the trunk.

Plus as a roller, my car has $4000 suspension and $3000 brakes. The cage is built to scca showroom stock rules and would need extensive modification for rally. The car has an scca club race log book, and that's really where it should be raced.

Hell, the headlights alone are worth $1000 if I sold them seperately.

I have no doubt that selling my car will be a massive financial loss. But comparing the sale of a $20000 pgt build for $5000 is not the same as comparing a $50000 build for $5000. Even if I parted the car out for half the cost of the parts alone, I would still be expecting over $20k. I don't think I'm drastically overvaluing my shell at $5000.
Old 2010-05-08, 10:56 AM   #10
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

Rally cars Are titled, registered, and street legal or they are not allowed to compete!
Prescott and Idaho have over 200 miles of Transit on highway, and city roads. quite zones too, penalties for noise violations, etc.

Are you including suspension, brakes, wheels and tires for 5K? If so i apologize that's an AWESOME DEAL assuming if so, how much with out that stuff?
you have $1,000 head lights , ... are they HID Xenon headlights? that would be sick for a rally car (you'de still need supplemental driving lights)

if by shell you mean only the chassis, doors, brake lights, complete with some sorta head light, corner lights, turn signals, a horn, stock a-arms & rear track arms, stock subframe pieces,

no motor, no tranny, no rear diff or drive train, no suspension, no wheels no tires, no seats, no belts, no fire surpression, no first aid kit, no triangles, then ya i still think 5K is a bit high.

http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1861/cat/13 stripped and acid dipped 1900 obo no cage but that's really just 3k away and you'de have new seats and belts

http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1803/cat/13
8K fully build, motor, trans, seats, belts, spares, tires ...

http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1824/cat/13
$5,000 for a fairly fast Group 5 car, fully built ready to go (its not a GD Shell but hey honestly he's beaten a lot of stock wrx's with it)

rolling caged shell (Ford focus)
http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1816/cat/13

base model price of a focus is 2K lower, but he's including the motor suspension, brakes

So in conclusion, no i don't think 3-4K is Crazy talk for a caged, FIA or rally log booked shell. but again maybe you were including more than i was expecting from the word "shell"

Old 2010-05-08, 02:15 PM   #11
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

All but one of those cars is 10+ years older than Scott's car, and only half of them are Subarus. The RS has Ksport coilovers on it - those fail on daily drivers, let alone a stage car - I wouldn't get near that thing with a 10 foot pole. Scott never claimed his car was a rally car, dude - linking a group 5 DSM has absolutely nothing to do with it. We sold a fully prepped Production-class 1G DSM for $500- doesn't mean that's the going rate for a comptetive motorsports shell, right? There's no such thing as blue book on competition cars.
Old 2010-05-08, 04:52 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
Rally cars Are titled, registered, and street legal or they are not allowed to compete!
Prescott and Idaho have over 200 miles of Transit on highway, and city roads. quite zones too, penalties for noise violations, etc.

Are you including suspension, brakes, wheels and tires for 5K? If so i apologize that's an AWESOME DEAL assuming if so, how much with out that stuff?
you have $1,000 head lights , ... are they HID Xenon headlights? that would be sick for a rally car (you'de still need supplemental driving lights)

if by shell you mean only the chassis, doors, brake lights, complete with some sorta head light, corner lights, turn signals, a horn, stock a-arms & rear track arms, stock subframe pieces,

no motor, no tranny, no rear diff or drive train, no suspension, no wheels no tires, no seats, no belts, no fire surpression, no first aid kit, no triangles, then ya i still think 5K is a bit high.

http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1861/cat/13 stripped and acid dipped 1900 obo no cage but that's really just 3k away and you'de have new seats and belts

http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1803/cat/13
8K fully build, motor, trans, seats, belts, spares, tires ...

http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1824/cat/13
$5,000 for a fairly fast Group 5 car, fully built ready to go (its not a GD Shell but hey honestly he's beaten a lot of stock wrx's with it)

rolling caged shell (Ford focus)
http://www.specialstage.com/classifi...ct/1816/cat/13

base model price of a focus is 2K lower, but he's including the motor suspension, brakes

So in conclusion, no i don't think 3-4K is Crazy talk for a caged, FIA or rally log booked shell. but again maybe you were including more than i was expecting from the word "shell"
I can't believe this thread has gotten so far out of control, you know considering it's not supposed to be about my WRX.

The confusion here is that, like sybir said, I'm not selling a "rally shell". I'm selling a WRX, with everything except a driveline, suspension and brakes. The suspension and brakes to make the "shell" a roller would be over the $5,000 price I threw out earlier.

The headlights on the car are EDM bugeye projectors. You probably can't buy them new at any price anymore, unless maybe if you have a euro bugeye STi and take it to your euro dealer for a replacement. $1000 would be pretty easy to get for them from someone building a nice bugeye. Then again, I might just keep them if I sold my car just on the off chance I ever own a bugeye again in the future... they're that hard to come by.

Additionally, unlike a rally shell, the car has all the door cards, dash, carpet, headliner, etc in good condition, with a nice painted roll cage. I know rally cars are "street legal", but the difference is, my car is "streetable". With the right suspension, a quiet exhaust, etc, the car can be totally drivable daily, as long as you don't mind climbing in over the cage. It's far more like a Porsche GT3RS... which is a street car with a cage... rather than a rally car, which is a race car that's legal on the streets.

I guess my point is... rally car prices have nothing to do with my car's value. If I were building a rally car, I'd start with something much, much cheaper than my shell. But if I were building a wide-body, streetable/showable car, then I'd start with something like my WRX.

Answer me this: how much would you think your STi is worth w/o the motor and tranny? That's probably a lot closer to what my shell's worth. In fact, considering the mileage on your car and all the off-roading it's seen... my shell might even be worth more.
Old 2010-05-09, 06:30 PM   #13
awoods177
n00b

Ok, it seems I was using the wrong terminology when I said "shell"...what I really meant was pretty much a roller, I think someone said. Basically I just want to get a complete car cosmetically: interior, doors, windows, etc...as complete as possible so that most of the work I do on it is mechanical rather than cosmetic. I figured if I could buy a car without the motor, tranny, etc it would be cheaper. I don't know if this is really realistic, so maybe I'll have to end up buying a car with motor and all and just removing parts that I'm going to replace?

What do you guys think?
Old 2010-05-09, 07:51 PM   #14
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Yeah, the best thing to do is just find a really cheap Impreza with high mileage or bad motor/transmission but no major exterior damage and start from there. It shouldn't be too hard to find something like that for $1000 or less if you're patient.
Old 2010-05-10, 11:07 AM   #15
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybir View Post
The RS has Ksport coilovers on it - those fail on daily drivers, let alone a stage car - I wouldn't get near that thing with a 10 foot pole.
My Ksport coilovers have seen 6 rallies, a bunch of rally crosses and about 20K daily diving miles. they have yet to "fail" the paint is a bit chipped on them though , so ya if that's what you mean then suure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Answer me this: how much would you think your STi is worth w/o the motor and tranny? That's probably a lot closer to what my shell's worth. In fact, considering the mileage on your car and all the off-roading it's seen... my shell might even be worth more.
Good question, ... i dunno 6Kish as a CAR lacking power train Advertise it as a donor car waiting a powertrain swap. power windows, AC, seats, interior , yada yada...

but i would not call my car Sans motor + tranny a shell . shell Implies its just the outer most coverings with nothing inside. or it implied that to me.

you did write
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Considering the cage was around $5k new IIRC, I think the bare shell should be worth around that much even with the bit of body work it needs 'cause it does have a clean title/vin.

sperry did you even read what you wrote? so after I'm supposed to assume that "bare shell" actually meant it has Everything you'de want in a street car (as you mentioned a few times its street legal and clean title) just no power train, brakes or suspension LMFAO

i love me this forum, its teh bestest!

now if you don't mind, I'm off to hold my breath until Sperry apologizes to me

Old 2010-05-10, 12:16 PM   #16
szucchet
EJ22

Car: 2004 Subaru STI
Class: 04 TSM

smooth is fast

you guys are going to scare the new guy away, he just wants to know about a shell for his swap.
I wonder if that roller is sill for sale that was on here about a moth ago(black rs with the prodrive wheels).
awoods keep an eye on rs25 forums and craigslist (bay area, sac, reno)

Last edited by szucchet; 2010-05-10 at 12:21 PM.
szucchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 12:34 PM   #17
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

^That roller sold.
Old 2010-05-10, 01:24 PM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
My Ksport coilovers have seen 6 rallies, a bunch of rally crosses and about 20K daily diving miles. they have yet to "fail" the paint is a bit chipped on them though , so ya if that's what you mean then suure...

Good question, ... i dunno 6Kish as a CAR lacking power train Advertise it as a donor car waiting a powertrain swap. power windows, AC, seats, interior , yada yada...

but i would not call my car Sans motor + tranny a shell . shell Implies its just the outer most coverings with nothing inside. or it implied that to me.

you did write

sperry did you even read what you wrote? so after I'm supposed to assume that "bare shell" actually meant it has Everything you'de want in a street car (as you mentioned a few times its street legal and clean title) just no power train, brakes or suspension LMFAO

i love me this forum, its teh bestest!

now if you don't mind, I'm off to hold my breath until Sperry apologizes to me
I'm sorry you got so confused and butthurt about my misuse of the term "shell". Even though in the context of this thread (someone looking for a "shell" as they defined to be a car just needing a motor and tranny) my car did fit the description.

I'm also sorry that you feel a perpetual need to spray your brand of crazy all over the forums whenever you decide to grace us with your presence. I'm sorry that it tends to send threads off track and turn them into flame wars.

I'm sorry you feel the need to throw a wrench into a possible sale, using ridiculous and unrelated comparisons to attempt to derail a deal, even if it wasn't a realistic match for the buyer.

I'm sorry you feel the need to insult me when I was in fact attempting to help out a new member on the forums. I'm sorry that it makes the board look like it's occupied by a bunch of petty douchebags to new folks that haven't been around long enough yet to simply disregard your posts the way most people do by now.

I'm also sorry that you think rally is the end-all be-all of motorsports, but that's just because I'm personally tired of you turning everything into a rally > * pissing contest. I honestly *love* reading your updates and posts about the rally season, and I honestly want you to succeed at it. But I don't need to hear about it constantly in every other thread like you're some sort of Sebastian Loeb gracing us with your knowledge... what you know about rally doesn't always apply to autocross, time trials, street cars, and what constitutes the definition of a "shell" or the value of a "shell", and it's insulting to a lot of the members here that don't rally or care about rally to be talked down to because they "only" autocross.

And finally, I'm sorry I'm wasting even more time posting a reply to you in this thread, because I know it's basically a futile effort since it will be a month before you come back to read it and start the whole situation up again with some line-by-line retort to my sarcasm.

Last edited by sperry; 2010-05-10 at 01:26 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-10, 03:45 PM   #19
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

It's cool, you're forgiven

Offer of 3K for your shell, donor car, chassis [correct term] rescinded.

awoods177 go for it!

Old 2010-05-15, 09:00 AM   #20
Ms Heatha
EJ22

Car: '00 RS
Class: TSM

If yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szucchet View Post
you guys are going to scare the new guy away, he just wants to know about a shell for his swap.
I wonder if that roller is sill for sale that was on here about a moth ago(black rs with the prodrive wheels).
awoods keep an eye on rs25 forums and craigslist (bay area, sac, reno)
Yeah, that was Morgan's. I was curious to see if he still had it too. Kinda want the wheels...maybe. I haven't heard that he got rid of it though. He's on this forum
Ms Heatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 09:01 AM   #21
Ms Heatha
EJ22

Car: '00 RS
Class: TSM

If yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
^That roller sold.
Nevermind
Ms Heatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 09:14 AM   #22
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Heatha View Post
Yeah, that was Morgan's. I was curious to see if he still had it too. Kinda want the wheels...maybe. I haven't heard that he got rid of it though. He's on this forum
I've got wheels for sale.

http://seccs.org/forums/showthread.p...ighlight=enkei