Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2004-01-28, 12:09 PM   #1
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe
Default In a 4 car accident this morning!

This morning I was driving in to work, almost stopped, to join the line of traffic waiting to turn onto Robb Dr./freeway. I just happened to look up in my rearview mirror and saw a car coming fast and out of control behind me. The car was fishtailing and I realized it was going to hit me!

An INSTANT later this car slammed into my rearend, and pushed me into the car in front of me (and I had already pressed down HARD on the brake, but the road surface was icy so the brakes didn't help). I remember hearing crunching and glass, and my car rolled into the left lane, over the traffic island, and into the opposite side of the street before it stopped. Thank God no other traffic was coming in that direction at that moment!

I got the car pulled off to the side of the road, and I'm here to tell you that the safety of the Subaru WRX definitely held up for me today. The rear bumper was crushed and torn, the rear window was completely broken out, and the front bumper and hood took the impact of hitting the car in front. Poor car. But it's only a car that's broken, nobody was hurt.

After I got out of the car I saw a pickup truck that was also involved, the car in front of me must've been pushed into it.

Other incidentals: Am I glad the air bag(s) did NOT deploy. I must have been traveling at less than 5mph at impact, though the car behind me appeared to be moving much faster. My driver's seat was leaning back a couple of notches. (The body shop manager showed us a skeleton of the seat frame, and where the metal may have bent back upon impact - moral of the story being that the seats are not one of the stronger points in the car, but it still protected me). Also, the ashtray came out by itself, I found it sitting on the floor.

Now I get to share Art's experience with waiting out the body shop experience. Blah!
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 12:25 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Oh Crap. I'm sorry Debbie, that is totally bad news, I'm glad you're okay though, rear enders can be very dangerous,...

What Body Shop is it at? Did they ticket the driver?

Hope you feel better.

M
Old 2004-01-28, 12:27 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

:shock:

Crap Debbie!! I'm glad to hear you're ok, but what a shame! Will you have it back before Auto-X starts!?

BTW: seats are meant to bend... as they bend they disapate energy that would otherwise have to be absorbed by your body. i.e. Would you rather your spine was bent like the seat is now?

Get some pictures, so we can lament with you.
Old 2004-01-28, 12:31 PM   #4
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I don't think she said, but Debbie is OK. I picked her up and we went down to Lithia where the tow truck dropped it.

The car did exactly what it was supposed to... Crumple.

The back is nicely crunched in about a foot in the center of the tailgate, both quarters, bumper, etc...

The front is in much better shape, didn't even get to the radiator but still probably a hood, bumper, grill, right quarter, maybe left.

They will have to check the frame/suspension since she was pushed over the traffic island.

We wish it had broken the fog light that was alreday chipped, and maybe the rear side window that has the crooked sticker.

I am trying to convince her this is a good thing because all the paint chips on the hood will be taken care of, and she can have stoneguard put on if she wants. It will also get the mark on the rear bumper taken care of.

She may have to come to meets in a Siver A4 though for the next 3-4 weeks.
Old 2004-01-28, 12:45 PM   #5
BOO
EJ205

Car: 12+tires
Class: Spec.

without hard work, nothing grows but weeds

Well I am like everyone else GLAD to see you are ok Debbie.. Thank God For the subaru engeneering in the way it is built. I am also sorry to hear about your baby.. but within time like Dean says, you will have a nicely painted WRX again and ready to take on the world.. the world of AUTO-X that is ...

GC,GD,GM
BOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 12:46 PM   #6
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

That sucks Debbie. I hope you feel alright after the next few days. Glad everyone made i out okay.
Old 2004-01-28, 12:56 PM   #7
ZER026D
EJ251

Car: 01 is300 / 87 rx4

drive fast take chances

OMG thats nuts I am glad you are ok Deb I hope are are starting to feel better. Make sure to let me know if you end up junking the car I need some new gauges.
Old 2004-01-28, 12:58 PM   #8
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO
Well I am like everyone else GLAD to see you are ok Debbie.. Thank God For the subaru engeneering in the way it is built. I am also sorry to hear about your baby.. but within time like Dean says, you will have a nicely painted WRX again and ready to take on the world.. the world of AUTO-X that is ...
I hope you feel ok tomarow ochie second day pain is always worse.

i wish ppl would be more carefull when they know it is icy out but everyone is ok and thats good to hear
Old 2004-01-28, 01:24 PM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I wonder how bad the structural integrity is, considering the rear's been so whomped. Hopefully after it's fixked everything will track straight. I guess the Lithia body shop is pretty decent, at least I was very impressed with the work they did on Art's car.
Old 2004-01-28, 01:36 PM   #10
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

lithia messed my car all up it is rusting now and they said there is no rust when I showed it to them.
Old 2004-01-28, 01:50 PM   #11
dknv
EJ207

Say, Evan, where is it rusted? I'm trying to remember what all they had to do with yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
..Hopefully after it's fixed everything will track straight...
That's what I was worrying about this morning. And State Farm told me if the repair is 65% or more of the car's value, they'll look at it harder & evaluate whether to total it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I am trying to convince her this is a good thing because all the paint chips on the hood will be taken care of, and she can have stoneguard put on if she wants. It will also get the mark on the rear bumper taken care of.
Thank God for Dean helping me see the brighter side.
Old 2004-01-28, 01:51 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I dunno Debbie... I think Matt needs some competition in AS.
Old 2004-01-28, 01:58 PM   #13
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

Old 2004-01-28, 01:59 PM   #14
dknv
EJ207

Patty & John are going to be in AS. But Matt will be in NAS.

Oh, you mean another sti - yeah, if only there was a wagon version here.
Old 2004-01-28, 02:53 PM   #15
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

I would think about totaling it out if the damage is that bad you are better off getting a car that has not been in an acciedent then fixing this one......fact is after any repair the car will never feel or be the same and you could end up with problems down the road the insurance wont cover so the value of the car goes down
Old 2004-01-28, 04:04 PM   #16
pbaldy
EJ18

Holy cow, Debbie! Glad to hear you're okay though.

Geez, based on that picture a couple of posts up, your car was hit so hard it turned into a sedan!
pbaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 04:19 PM   #17
STIwish
EJ251

ACK!!! that sucks hun!!!! Im glad you're okay though... as I've been told a million times, a car can be replaced, a life cant.
Old 2004-01-28, 04:19 PM   #18
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

the picture above is ZERO26D, Debbie has a blue wagon.

I'm so glad you are alright Debbie.

With people sliding into curbs and getting hit it seems like our group is having a bit of bad luck, but I'll will give karma a chance.

Hopefully Only good things will happen to us now, on the road.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 04:31 PM   #19
JC
Ask me about dubs!

Car: 2013 Triumph Speed Triple R

Glad you are ok! You should put sedan fenders and EDM lights up front.
Old 2004-01-28, 07:54 PM   #20
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Glad you are okay! Take it easy for a while though, adrenaline can hide pretty severe injuries for a while. You will be quite sore tomorrow.
Old 2004-01-28, 09:15 PM   #21
LetItRev
R.I.P.

Car: 2004 WRX

Bummer Deal Debbie. I'm glad to hear you are not hurt. Perhaps your insurance will spring for an STI for your loaner car????

Franz
LetItRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-29, 02:45 AM   #22
ShawnS
EJ251

Car: 1995 S14 Zenki

Sorry to hear that Debbie. Getting rear-ended is got to be the worst, especially if you see it coming and can't do a thing about it.
Have you been to the doctor? I hope there aren't any serious injuries. Then you have to start healing emotional wounds. Losing your car hurts. I know; losing my Prelude crushed my heart.
Old 2004-01-29, 08:57 AM   #23
dknv
EJ207

Just want to say thanks for all the concern and caring you've all expressed here. Also, the jokes and funny pictures in this forum just cracks me up, humor is a great healer of many ailments. I'm so glad I know you guys, in person and virtually, what a great crew!

You guys were right, I woke up in the middle of the night feeling sore, and this morning my neck is not feeling good. Probably just strained muscle, but i think I'm going to ask a doctor to have a look anyway.

My seatbelt saved me from worse, I hope everyone out there wears their seatbelts regularly!
Old 2004-01-29, 09:06 AM   #24
STIwish
EJ251

Only when im sober.
Old 2004-02-02, 04:27 PM   #25
Theo
EJ22

Sorry to hear about your accident I'm glad you are OK. Please get checked out if you feel bad at all. Little problems can crop up months after an accident. I have had back problems for years after a 'little accident'

Things like this always reminds me how silly it is to get so attached to a car. It's the people that matter in the long run.

I tend to get overly attached to cars...

Theo