Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2010-04-15, 09:12 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Talk to me about the Infiniti G35

Lisa's on the prowl for a new car. We've been looking at the entry-level luxury sport sedan segment, looking to spend around $20k-$25k, preferably on a certified pre-owned car probably a 2007 model year. She wants something nice, leather/heated seats, decent power, preferably AWD but certainly not RWD.

We've looked at the Audi A4, Lexus IS250 AWD, Acura RL (we still haven't driven a TL or TSX). I've been talking up an '08 LGT Limited, but she's not fired up about the looks of the car... she might consider it if they were more like $15k.

So after all this looking around, she saw the '07/'08 G35 Sedan online and ended up really liking it. Which surprised me 'cause I always thought the Coupe was hot, but the Sedan was kinda meh... mostly because the pre-'07 sedans were quite a bit more boring than the newer body style.

So, she's now very interested in an '07 AWD G35 sedan, but with the nearest Infinity dealer in Sacramento, we're in the same boat with it as we are with the Saab... which is no local support for the car should anything break. I know that Nissan dealers aren't allowed to do warranty work on Infinities... otherwise we'd start shopping immediately.

Does anyone have experience with these cars? How reliable are Infinities in general? Are we getting ourselves into another situation where the car she wants now she'll be scared to own once it's out of warranty?
Old 2010-04-15, 10:22 AM   #2
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

I've never owned one, or had any second hand experience owning one, but they seem pretty reliable. Even so, personally I'd be wary of getting a vehicle without a warranty shop in town. Once its out of warranty, that point is probably moot (assuming there is a reliable mechanic around town who knows his way around Nissans).

It will likely be better than the Saab at little stupid crap that should be covered under warranty.
Old 2010-04-15, 10:25 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
I've never owned one, or had any second hand experience owning one, but they seem pretty reliable. Even so, personally I'd be wary of getting a vehicle without a warranty shop in town. Once its out of warranty, that point is probably moot (assuming there is a reliable mechanic around town who knows his way around Nissans).

It will likely be better than the Saab at little stupid crap that should be covered under warranty.
To be honest, whatever car we get shouldn't need to go to the shop for anything major in the next 3 years or we did a bad job picking the car.

The only problem with the Infiniti is that if we picked poorly, then I'm taking time off work to tow the car over the hill for service.

The other problem is finding one in decent shape w/ AWD for sale with a CPO warranty.
Old 2010-04-15, 10:37 AM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I hate to say it but stay away from the Germans unless under warranty for the length of time you want to own them. I love my A4, but the reliability of them and the BMWs has not been great.

Not that you like CR, but all the Japanese cars you listed are well reviewed and have strong reliability data.

The dealer issue is a pain. Is there a Nissan equivalent to the G35? Without local support, I'd shy away from the Infinity.
Old 2010-04-15, 11:07 AM   #5
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!

^ You do realize that Infiniti is a subcompany of Nissan, right?

I don't know much about the sedan or Infiniti in general, but my gf's little brother just picked up a 2006 Infiniti G35 coupe that is in great shape. I haven't heard of any problems with the car but I can ask if there have been any issues or mishaps.
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 11:10 AM   #6
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

The G-35 is built on a 350z, stretched, and with a transfer case in the event of AWD. I could pull that car apart piece by piece, and reliably re-assemble it blindfolded. There's no way to get warranty coverage without going over the hill, but if your concern is simply having a mechanic who knows the car, you're covered dude.

As far as the platform overall, I've always liked the G, as a whole, more than ANY other Nissan vehicle currently in production. They're VERY reliable; well built. There seems to be better quality control with the Infiniti brand. I've personally seen a only little silly shit as far as frequent repairs go, (seat switches, the occasional fuel level sender...) but I've never seen one with a big dollar or catastrophic failure (engine, trans, etc.).

This may seem un-noteworthy since I work for Nissan and not Infiniti, but keep in mind that the first place local Infiniti owners go when they have a problem is HERE. I can see 3 of them right now sitting at my computer. An I30, a QX4, and a G35 coupe.
Old 2010-04-15, 11:13 AM   #7
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
^ You do realize that Infiniti is a subcompany of Nissan, right?
Yes, thus the question if there was a similar Nissan model.
Old 2010-04-15, 11:22 AM   #8
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

There's effectively a Nissan equivalent to every Infiniti model, more or less.
Old 2010-04-15, 11:30 AM   #9
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Car: ?
Class: Retired!

Warning: Prolonged eye contact may cause insanity

I've driven a number of G35s, and I like them. Personally I'd purchase a RWD saloon, over the coupe any day.
Old 2010-04-15, 11:58 AM   #10
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

I had a rental G35 Sedan a few years ago and I liked it. The auto trans it had I remember was nice and smoothe and down shifted good on acceleration.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 12:04 PM   #11
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonK View Post
I had a rental G35 Sedan a few years ago and I liked it. The auto trans it had I remember was nice and smoothe and down shifted good on acceleration.
Ditto this, I really liked the car a lot...My former boss had one as well, and it was a great car...
Old 2010-04-15, 01:17 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPREZIV View Post
The G-35 is built on a 350z, stretched, and with a transfer case in the event of AWD. I could pull that car apart piece by piece, and reliably re-assemble it blindfolded. There's no way to get warranty coverage without going over the hill, but if your concern is simply having a mechanic who knows the car, you're covered dude.

As far as the platform overall, I've always liked the G, as a whole, more than ANY other Nissan vehicle currently in production. They're VERY reliable; well built. There seems to be better quality control with the Infiniti brand. I've personally seen a only little silly shit as far as frequent repairs go, (seat switches, the occasional fuel level sender...) but I've never seen one with a big dollar or catastrophic failure (engine, trans, etc.).

This may seem un-noteworthy since I work for Nissan and not Infiniti, but keep in mind that the first place local Infiniti owners go when they have a problem is HERE. I can see 3 of them right now sitting at my computer. An I30, a QX4, and a G35 coupe.
I never doubted you'd be able to handle anything that might come up on an Infiniti... I'm just looking for a way to make Infiniti to pay you for the work.

Thanks for the opinions folks... Lisa still needs to drive one, but for now it's at the top of her list. I'm actually thinking that if we don't have a local dealer, and the car is as reliable as I'm hearing, perhaps we should also look private party instead of insisting on a Certified Pre Owned. The AWD model seems hard to find used... buying private would expand the number out there.

One nice thing about no local Infiniti dealer... we won't have to pay tax on the car, since it'll be out of state or private party. I've been looking at the Beverton Oregon Infiniti dealer... they've got a bunch of G's and no local sales tax. Nothing like a 10 hour drive to get to know a new car.

In related news: anyone want to buy an '03 Saab 9-3 Arc, 70k miles, for the fire-sale price of $8,000? It's a ton of car for a retarded low price... as long as you're willing to work on it yourself if something breaks. I'm not. Not with two other cars I'm already wrenching on perpetually.
Old 2010-04-15, 01:41 PM   #13
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Out of state dealer sales are taxed, unless you pay tax in the state you buy. CA taxes are higher, and if you buy where there's no sales tax (UT and OR), NV makes you cough it up. So stick with private party if you can't get a good deal.

Last edited by Kevin M; 2010-04-15 at 01:43 PM.
Kevin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 01:46 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
Out of state dealer sales are taxed, unless you pay tax in the state you buy. CA taxes are higher, and if you buy where there's no sales tax (UT and OR), NV makes you cough it up. So stick with private party if you can't get a good deal.
Um, how does that work? How can they not tax me if I pay CA tax, but they can tax me if I pay OR tax which just happens to be 0%?

I'd love to see the complicated ass wording that law must have.
Old 2010-04-15, 02:04 PM   #15
Kevin M
EJ22T

Call DMV, don't take my word for it. Not like I've registered multiple cars from out of state or anything.
Old 2010-04-15, 03:16 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Call DMV, don't take my word for it. Not like I've registered multiple cars from out of state or anything.
The way it's worded is basically "you have to pay NV any difference between the sales tax where you purchased it and the going NV sales tax".

So it's not that they waive NV sales tax for CA cars, it's just that the difference between CA's ~9% and NV's ~8% is negative. I would argue NV should be paying me when I register it!

But at least it makes a little more sense. If I were to buy a car somewhere with 4% sales tax, I'd owe the other ~4% to NV upon registration. Or, it makes sense if you can get over the idea that NV is charging you sales tax on something you didn't buy in the state at all.
Old 2010-04-15, 03:33 PM   #17
Kevin M
EJ22T

The difference is between the sales tax you actually pay, and the NV tax. So if you buy it in CA and don't get it delivered to you here in NV, which has its own set of hoops, you pay CA tax and NV lets you off the hook. If you go to OR or UT, you pay NV sales tax.

And yeah, the sales tax is stupid for a state that passed that tax simplification bill or whatever a while back. But, since 90% of the population lives a short drive from other states with tons of dealerships, ours would get their asses kicked. They'd basically be expensive Jiffy Lubes.
Old 2010-04-15, 03:45 PM   #18
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Someday I may buy from a dealer and have to deal with this, and the rest of the monkey business......but I'm gonna hold it off as long as possible.

Quote:
They'd basically be expensive Jiffy Lubes.
Wait.....
Old 2010-04-15, 03:52 PM   #19
Kevin M
EJ22T

On a positive note, we may be the only state that doesn't charge tax on private party sales (in states that have sales tax).
Old 2010-04-15, 03:52 PM   #20
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyS View Post
Someday I may buy from a dealer and have to deal with this, and the rest of the monkey business......but I'm gonna hold it off as long as possible.

Wait.....
I don't mind buying private party if I know the history of the car/owner. But I'm a little hesitant when it comes to a car/seller I don't know for a car that my GF is going to be in every day for the next 5 years.
Old 2010-04-15, 03:54 PM   #21
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
On a positive note, we may be the only state that doesn't charge tax on private party sales (in states that have sales tax).
Nevada is still one of the most expensive states (tax-wise) to own a car in.

http://www.kiplinger.com/features/ar...04/cartax.html

We have no state income tax, and a break on private-party sales... but we get our asses handed to us every time registration comes due. We basically pay a sales tax on our cars over and over every year.
Old 2010-04-15, 03:58 PM   #22
Kevin M
EJ22T

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to registering the FXT. Not as much fun as paying $18 for a 1993 L...
Old 2010-04-15, 05:16 PM   #23
van
SECCS Brewmeister

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to registering the FXT. Not as much fun as paying $18 for a 1993 L...
How the hell do you do that? My 93L cost $70 or so to register last year.
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 05:34 PM   #24
Kevin M
EJ22T

I remember mine being like $36 or something. I'll have to check, jsut did it February.
Old 2010-04-16, 02:13 PM   #25
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Speaking of G35's, I see one in the lot here every day (the owner must work in the same building) with BC Tuning stickers on the rear windows. I'm guessing Cory had decals made