Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2003-05-12, 04:32 PM   #1
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod
Default Boost Gauge Install

So, Phil showed the where I should route(facing the car left-side fire wall) my vacum line, I went to NAPA and got some 5/32 hose which is an exact match to the hose on the car from the line Phil told me to use, I got the little t-fitting to plumb in, so it looks good from there, BUT where should I get at a wire for the light of the gauge? I think someone said you can pop open the stearing column and there are all kinds of wires, like the light/on and probably a ground to use also? Any tips are welcome.

tyson

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-12, 09:56 PM   #2
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

well my gauge install went badly, I couldn't get the hose to seal into the back of the gauge properly so it was leaking making a hissing sound but it looked like it was reading correctly, and something must have happened on my wiring cause it don't light up, I'll try this weekend again. And the back where the hose clamps into the gauge is so long that I can't push the gauge back flush into the mounting cup so it really looks ghetto. And now that the little plug in my firewall is out and can really hear more of the engine I got to fix that, cause it's too loud. And the hose that autometer gives you snaps like a fuckin twig. And the little pressure nut sucks also. Just an all around bad time.

Old 2003-05-13, 09:17 AM   #3
dayofpain
R.I.P.

Car: 09 335xi silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc03
well my gauge install went badly, I couldn't get the hose to seal into the back of the gauge properly so it was leaking making a hissing sound but it looked like it was reading correctly, and something must have happened on my wiring cause it don't light up, I'll try this weekend again. And the back where the hose clamps into the gauge is so long that I can't push the gauge back flush into the mounting cup so it really looks ghetto. And now that the little plug in my firewall is out and can really hear more of the engine I got to fix that, cause it's too loud. And the hose that autometer gives you snaps like a fuckin twig. And the little pressure nut sucks also. Just an all around bad time.
dude im so sorry to hear it went badly, theres nothing worse than getting you hopes up and then being smashed in the face, by a rough install. you guys need my phone number for stuff like that. i have a very large garage and tons of time usaully (unless im riding ) i have installed so many crappy autometer products over the years, i know the ins and outs fairly well.

the place you guys... all you guys will want to pull an illumination wire from will be from one of two places.
1. the back of the stereo.
2. the ashtray light.

those are the best bets.
yes the pressure nut sucks but it actually works really good unlessyou bust it. just crank that little bastard down and youre good. if you can hear the plug being out then you have better hearing than i. or you removed the wrong plug. probably the later of the two. on thursday at the meet ill point out some stuff that will help. and give out my phone number to everyone.

once again sorry to hear that.

"In order for me to get busy at maximum efficiency, i need a girl with a big 400 ton booty."
dayofpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-13, 09:25 AM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Those nylon tubes and crush nut things suck! 1) if it's not tight enough, it'll leak. 2) If it's too tight it'll cut the hose, and leak. 3) If you tighten it, then loosen it to make an adjustment, then tighten it back down w/o putting a new crush ring in there, well then it'll leak.

I've got a baggy of the crush rings if you need some, or you can get 'em at the Napa over by Summit. And if you need some help, let me know, I'm happy to help out too! I've done the autometer boost gauge install a few different ways in my car, and in Art's car.

Oh, I used the back of the hazard light switch for gauges... it's got Constant Power, ACC, Illumination, and Illumination Variable Ground wires in it... plus there's a chassis ground right there on the radio. Pretty much everything you could ask for. And it's right next to the clock pod which is nice for a center gauge pod, like Art's got.
Old 2003-05-13, 08:41 PM   #5
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Yah After going to work and thinking about my install I got a lot of ideas to make the install work much better. I think I'm going to put it on the left side of the stearing column, And I'm going to get a green bulb to match the illum. in my car. I'm going to use as little nylon hosing as possible, unless that is a bad thing. And I need to reconfigure the cup housing so everything fits better, I also got a solder gun so I should probably use that for the wiring no more crappy crimping things. The inside of the WRX came apart a lot easier that I though it would which is nice. For the time I spent trying to install that thing I almost wish I would have spent so real money on a HKS or greddy gauge which most likely would have came with better connection logistics.

Scott bring any little hose fittings that you think might halpe me thurs thanks man. thanks

Thanks Phil.

Old 2003-05-14, 08:13 AM   #6
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc03
Scott bring any little hose fittings that you think might halpe me thurs thanks man. thanks
10-4