Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > User Classifieds

User Classifieds Got stuff to sell? Looking for something to buy? Check here!

Old 2004-05-16, 11:52 AM   #1
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?
Default Tires for Sale

Well, someone put a knife through one of my sidewalls, so I have three nearly brand new tires for sale. These are Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2, in 215/40/17. They have only been used for a couple of months, I just bought new rims and these tires in March. No noticeable treadwear yet, these are very good tires. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement, let me know. I will sell these separately or all together. Would like to get $150 for all three, but feel free to make me an offer. I can e-mail photos if anyone would like. Thanks,

Khail
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-17, 08:11 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Re: Tires for Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19
Well, someone put a knife through one of my sidewalls, so I have three nearly brand new tires for sale. These are Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2, in 215/40/17. They have only been used for a couple of months, I just bought new rims and these tires in March. No noticeable treadwear yet, these are very good tires. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement, let me know. I will sell these separately or all together. Would like to get $150 for all three, but feel free to make me an offer. I can e-mail photos if anyone would like. Thanks,

Khail
WTH!? Why do people have to f-up other people's nice stuff? Jealousy? Or did you make some enemies somehow Khail? That sucks.
Old 2004-05-17, 08:55 AM   #3
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

That sucks Khail. Hope you can find a buyer.
Old 2004-05-17, 09:42 AM   #4
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Thanks guys. I haven't made any enemies that I know of, so I am pretty surprised this happened. I talked to my insurance (Progressive) today, and they said they would only cover one tire. These Goodyears aren't being made anymore, so I would like to replace all 4 so I don't have mismatched tires. My deductible is $250, so that's not worth getting one tire replaced.

Khail
Old 2004-05-17, 09:55 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Thanks guys. I haven't made any enemies that I know of, so I am pretty surprised this happened. I talked to my insurance (Progressive) today, and they said they would only cover one tire. These Goodyears aren't being made anymore, so I would like to replace all 4 so I don't have mismatched tires. My deductible is $250, so that's not worth getting one tire replaced.

Khail
You can't make the argument that one tire isn't going to cut it because an AWD car will burn up their differentials if the tires are mis-matched? Tell them you'll take the one tire if they are willing to also give you the 2 differentials it will ruin.
Old 2004-05-17, 01:32 PM   #6
ArthurS
EJ207

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
You can't make the argument that one tire isn't going to cut it because an AWD car will burn up their differentials if the tires are mis-matched? Tell them you'll take the one tire if they are willing to also give you the 2 differentials it will ruin.
You may just want to try that.
Old 2004-05-17, 05:05 PM   #7
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

Yeah, I tried telling him that. He said he would talk ito his manager about it. When he called me back, he said it wasn't covered. Art, would your company cover something like that?

Khail
Old 2004-05-17, 06:50 PM   #8
ArthurS
EJ207

Responce -
Old 2004-05-18, 09:13 AM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Basically, you could come across saying due to the fact that only one tire was replaced by their claim, it caused the other tires to become more worn then should be, which in turn caused a blow-out, which caused a accident.
I'm not so sure that holds water. The real problem is that on an AWD car, if you have one tire larger or smaller than the others, it causes one side of the differentals to turn faster than the other, which means that at freeway speeds you'll end up heating them to retarded high temps, eventually causing them to fail. This is why you can't tow an AWD car w/o a flatbed truck. Explain to them they can either buy you 4 tires for $600 or they can buy you one for $120 then in 2 months from now they can replace your rear and center differentals for $4000.

Just don't mention they might be able to buy you one tire and shave it to match the other 3.
Old 2004-05-18, 10:12 AM   #10
ArthurS
EJ207

After talking to the local adjuster here breifly, he had mentioned that companies will only pay out for the one tire. He did understand about the possible wear or damage that it could cause by adding on a new one, but only one would be covered and paid for.
Old 2004-05-19, 05:12 PM   #11
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

That's lame. Pretend I was a moron when it comes to AWD and I did have them buy me one new tire (purely hypothetical, I just bought 4 new ones), would the insurance company be responsible for the differential damage that could occur? Or would I just be screwed and have to pay for it myself?

OT, but I got new Falken Azenis ST-115 and I am quite pleased with them. They aren't quite as sticky as the Goodyears were, but they are oh so quiet and smooth. They still are a good performing tire, just not a max performance type.
Old 2004-05-19, 08:05 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
That's lame. Pretend I was a moron when it comes to AWD and I did have them buy me one new tire (purely hypothetical, I just bought 4 new ones), would the insurance company be responsible for the differential damage that could occur? Or would I just be screwed and have to pay for it myself?

OT, but I got new Falken Azenis ST-115 and I am quite pleased with them. They aren't quite as sticky as the Goodyears were, but they are oh so quiet and smooth. They still are a good performing tire, just not a max performance type.
That's the same tire a lot of us are going to for our street tires. My roommate and I both have 'em, and Matt was thinking about getting some, but went with some Toyos IIRC. I really like the ST-115's since they're uber quiet and seem like they'll last a while while still having decent performance in the dry and wet.
Old 2004-05-19, 09:34 PM   #13
khail19
EJ205

Meets? We have meets?

I really wanted to try the Toyo Proxes 4, but I didn't want to wait for them since I was driving on my donut spare all weekend. Les Schwab stocks them, but they want $167 a piece for them! They are like $90 at some places online. The ST-115 seems good too though, hopefully they'll be serviceable in the winter.