Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2010-03-07, 08:22 AM   #1
Clippersfan86
EJ22

Car: 2006 Subaru WRX
Default Car won't go into 4th gear??

So I got my car back clutch feels incredible and everything but 3 weird things are happening. In 3rd gear when I accelerate the shifter moves an inch towards me and when I get off the gas it moves back to normal position. Then another thing is that when parked it goes into all gears but while driving it absolutely will not go into 4th. What it does is make a very quiet grinding sound. Finally it goesn't go into gears smoothly. Sometimes I have to put it into reverse first to get it into first gear or first gear to get it into reverse. Is it my syncros? Shift fork? Any ideas guys? Before we had the faulty install and the shop properly installed clutch job I had 0 tranny problems. Do you guys think this sounds external of the tranny or internal?
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 08:30 AM   #2
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Did you check the fluid level? Have you had a chance to look under the car to make sure everything looks right? I don't know why it would move over like that unless the tranny mount wasn't hooked up right. You need to take it back to the shop asap and explain the problem before you put a bunch of miles on it.
Old 2010-03-07, 09:12 AM   #3
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Sounds like linkage, wrong fluid, or dead synchro.
Old 2010-03-07, 09:31 AM   #4
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

I would stop driving the car and call the shop that did the install first thing tomorrow. They did something wrong, installed a wrong part (wrong release bearing?), and/or adjusted something wrong. Didn't they road test the car before giving it back?

The shifter moving sounds like a motor mount issue.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 09:56 AM   #5
Clippersfan86
EJ22

Dean I had Redline shock proof light weight put in. My other buddy (Honda guy) also said it's most likely the linkage. He wants to know if I have rods or cables? Does anyone know what the 06 WRX has? I think cables.

Knuckle it's a little mom and pop tranny place and I called and told them and they claimed it has nothing to do with installation of a clutch and that it was probably a bad syncro. If any of you have any time this week to glance at it or drive it around the block i'll travel to your location. If I found out for sure it's improper installation i'll make them redo it. I just would like to have my facts straight first. Knuckle they drove it around the block but on Kietzke the speed limit is 40 so they didn't even get out of 3rd gear. They drove around the block that's it.

Juice I think you mentioning tranny mount problem is a legit possibility. It can't be my syncros or tranny because my tranny was fine previously. Based on what all of you are saying I would think it's tranny mounts or linkage.

Last edited by Clippersfan86; 2010-03-07 at 10:09 AM.
Old 2010-03-07, 10:11 AM   #6
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86 View Post
Knuckle it's a little mom and pop tranny place and I called and told them and they claimed it has nothing to do with installation of a clutch and that it was probably a bad syncro. If any of you have any time this week to glance at it or drive it around the block i'll travel to your location.
I find this a little hard to believe. Coincidences do occur, but I would at least look at it if it were my shop.

PM Cory, aka MPREZIV. Maybe he will look at it. He's a pro mechanic and the one I would have had do a clutch.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 10:27 AM   #7
Clippersfan86
EJ22

They didn't say they won't look at it they just tried to make excuses. It was Saturday and they had spent all day on my car and were about to close. Ok i'll see what Cory thinks man thanks.
Old 2010-03-08, 06:40 AM   #8
Street Pirate
n00b

check out the two small bushings where the shifter shift rod connects to the joint at the transmission shift fork. those bushings fall out easily and are missed by many people, they would also explain some of your symptoms.
Street Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 07:15 AM   #9
05widesti
EJ18

Car: 2005 Subaru STI

^^^ I agree. a while back my car had this problem after I installed my own clutch and It was hard to put in some gears really hard to put in fourth impossible to get in reverse. My friend suggested the bushings and it fixed my problems.

sister- hey look a sti
me- no thats a evo
sister- well theres another evo
me- (sigh) no thats a sti
05widesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 08:21 AM   #10
Clippersfan86
EJ22

Ok thanks for the bushings suggestion guys. I'll look into that.

Are any of you familiar with proper shift linkage for 06-07 WRX's?
Old 2010-03-08, 08:22 AM   #11
bluestreak
EJ22

Car: 2003 WRX Sedan - Blue

Sounds like you bent the rear main shaft plate inside the transmission during your botched clutch install. I did the same thing about 5 years ago.... I didn't have the clutch properly aligned and the shaft coming out of the transmission did not fit thru the clutch disc properly - not knowing what I was doing, I just torqued down on the bell housing bolts to bring the engine and transmission together. It ruined the clutch disc and bent that plate in the transmission.

The shifter in my car used to jump forward and back whenever I got on/off the gas and I was in 3rd or 5th. I also couldn't get the car into 4th gear.

The rear main shaft plate is a plate that holds the main shaft in place inside the transmission.

To fix it, I had to drop the transmission and pull off the rear section (center diff) to expose 5th gear and the end of the main shaft. There is a little plate that slides out and is shaped kind of like a 'U'. It was a $45 part from Subaru. I replaced it, tapped the main shaft back into place and put everything back together, and now it works again.

Maybe/hopefully your problem is simpler, but I through I'd throw my 2 cents in....
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 10:30 AM   #12
Clippersfan86
EJ22

Shit blue... Problem is that would mean dropping the tranny again. I'm too scared to trust another side job again. Blue another issue though is I have trouble going into all gears. It's never smooth so that's what I think would definitely be linkage based on what i'm hearing.

Last edited by Clippersfan86; 2010-03-08 at 10:34 AM.
Old 2010-03-08, 10:51 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Shit blue... Problem is that would mean dropping the tranny again. I'm too scared to trust another side job again. Blue another issue though is I have trouble going into all gears. It's never smooth so that's what I think would definitely be linkage based on what i'm hearing.
I dunno man. Bluestreak's explanation sounds pretty dead-on with your symptoms. You can wish all you want that it's just a linkage problem, but the linkage never got touched during either install, right?

But you did in fact miss-install a clutch, and ended up with a flapping shifter and inability to get into 4th gear, just like blue did. I think you're going to be replacing that rear main shaft plate... and you should probably do it before you drive the car any further.
Old 2010-03-08, 11:02 AM   #14
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

After the clutch was botched the first time, how did you get the car to the shop? What part of town do you live in? If you get the car up in the air, there are quite a few of us who would be able to look under there and see if everything looks right. You need a checklist.

Check tranny fluid level
Check to see if the shifter was put back together will all bushings, etc.
Check engine/tranny mounts
Check your bank account to see if you have enough to replace what Will mentioned
Old 2010-03-08, 02:02 PM   #15
Clippersfan86
EJ22

I had it towed to the shop Juice. No I don't have any money unless it's something simple like fluids,linkage, mounts. If it's actual tranny work my car will be parked a month or 2 likely.

Scott it has nothing to do with me trying to pretend what it is or isn't I think the linkage is still improper and Cory himself verified when I went to see him today that it's likely a linkage problem. Blue's problem is just another one i'll have to deal with if I have that as well. There is no such thing as a rear main shaft plate according to a few shops (unless they are idiots) so I need to find out the real name first ; o.

Last edited by Clippersfan86; 2010-03-08 at 02:11 PM.
Old 2010-03-08, 03:41 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
I had it towed to the shop Juice. No I don't have any money unless it's something simple like fluids,linkage, mounts. If it's actual tranny work my car will be parked a month or 2 likely.

Scott it has nothing to do with me trying to pretend what it is or isn't I think the linkage is still improper and Cory himself verified when I went to see him today that it's likely a linkage problem. Blue's problem is just another one i'll have to deal with if I have that as well. There is no such thing as a rear main shaft plate according to a few shops (unless they are idiots) so I need to find out the real name first ; o.
How is something both "verified" and "likely"? You're not going to know what the issue really is until the gearbox is taken apart and actually verified to be okay or not. My point was that blue's description matched your issue right down to the same cause. Occam's Razor pretty much guarantees you're looking at the same issue, and not some new linkage issue... unless you've got two problems.

Maybe you should describe this "linkage problem"... 'cause I'm assuming you're just talking about the way the shifter attaches to the transmission. I'd be surprised if a problem with the linkage would cause the car to pop out of particular gears unless you've got a bushing or something out of place... but that would be easily felt when just shifting the car while parked.
Old 2010-03-08, 04:11 PM   #17
Clippersfan86
EJ22

Fair enough Scott. Blue's problem does sound nearly identical and I sent him a PM right away when I read it. Worth looking into the linkage though as the first few people on this post as well as Cory said it's most likely linkage. It's not like i'm bitching and not doing anything about it. I'm scheduled 9 am tomorrow with Cory ;p.

Btw Scott a different mechanic mentioned to check the pivot point shift rail? Is that even relevant?
Old 2010-03-08, 04:19 PM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Fair enough Scott. Blue's problem does sound nearly identical and I sent him a PM right away when I read it. Worth looking into the linkage though as the first few people on this post as well as Cory said it's most likely linkage. It's not like i'm bitching and not doing anything about it. I'm scheduled 9 am tomorrow with Cory ;p.

Btw Scott a different mechanic mentioned to check the pivot point shift rail? Is that even relevant?
I don't even know what that pivot point thing is. The external linkage to the shifter is really simple... it's basically just a lever:

Not sure how that get's screwed up during a clutch install. Now if we're talking about the shift linkage inside the gearbox that engages the dog-teeth, etc... well, if that's screwed up, you're going to wish it's the same problem blue had!

Last edited by sperry; 2010-03-08 at 04:25 PM. Reason: giant picture is giant
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 04:46 PM   #19
bluestreak
EJ22

Here are some pics from when I fixed it...

The first is the bent plate stacked on top of the new one.

Second: The transmission with the center diff section off. You can see the plate just underneath 5th on the main shaft.

Third: The new plate installed before I tapped the main shaft down (you can see the gap where the main shaft was actually pushed back)

It was not too hard of a job to do once you get the transmission out. The hardest part was getting the damn center diff section back on by myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	5882  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	5883  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	5884  

Old 2010-03-08, 06:36 PM   #20
Clippersfan86
EJ22

Damn. Blue I hope to God it's not that because I can't afford to fix that.
Old 2010-03-08, 07:15 PM   #21
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

You can't afford $45? That's a tank of gas lol
bigrobwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-08, 07:30 PM   #22
Clippersfan86
EJ22

No pulling it down again. And putting tranny back in.
Old 2010-03-08, 08:04 PM   #23
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

You could do that job without dropping the transmission actually.
Old 2010-03-09, 07:35 AM   #24
Clippersfan86
EJ22

How?
Old 2010-03-09, 07:52 AM   #25
bluestreak
EJ22

Yeah, you would really only need to pull the driveshaft off the rear of the transmission and pull the center diff off.... It would make getting it back together very difficult though. I cant imagine how I would have done it without standing the transmission straight up like in the pictures to get the plate seated and all of the shifter forks aligned initially. It took me hours to get the center diff section back on because you have to get the shifter linkage properly positioned while the transmission is in neutral and slowly and perfectly lower that section back on without letting it slip into gear (all while not messing up the bead of RTV that you lay down as a gasket between the sections)...

Has anyone here successfully reassembled the transmission/center diff section without removing the transmission?