Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2005-12-28, 10:38 AM   #1
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod
Default Notebook Computers Opinions?

Dell, Gateway, Toshiba, Chembook, Acer.

In the LCD TV thread it was mentioned that I should just split the difference and get a notebook with a big ass monitor rather than a 32in LCD TV. While I dont really agree with that idea I'd still like to know what notebooks you guys think are a good deal or what the lookout for.

Orginally I was going to buy a entry level(or even used) really cheap notebook just to run the intraweb. But now I would rather replace my desktop. I don't need a ton of horesepower but I think at least 1.4ghz and 256ram. I feel an integrated video card with it's own ram might be a good choice also.

Newegg has some nice prices. Dean get to work finding me a notebook.

I think there was a guy on the board who worked for a site that sells notebooks exclusively?

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 10:52 AM   #2
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Its been a while since I've looked at notebooks personally, but I think Dell or Gateway are a good choice. Toshiba has had some sketchy quality in the past, and I don't fully trust Acer either. Don't know about chembook.
Old 2005-12-28, 10:57 AM   #3
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

All name brands are pretty much indistinguishable. I'd find the best sub $500-$600 15" or greater display you can find. Sunday ads are usually the best source as they are often loss leaders.

http://www.salescircular.com/nv/computer/laptpp.shtml

Edit: name Brand = Dell, Compaq, HP, Toshiba. I'd avoid both Gateway, and Acer.
Old 2005-12-28, 12:43 PM   #4
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

My Dell Inspiron 5150 has been a damn good computer. It's 2 years old, is powerful enough to play stuff like Counterstrike online without pissing everyone else off, has a good size monitor, and cost me about $1250 brand spankin' new on eBay. The same money would buy much more computer, or same computer is probably like $800 now. I'm very happy with it.
Old 2005-12-28, 01:24 PM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

My only recomendation is to spend a little extra and get somthing good because unlike a desktop, upgraded/replacement components are expensive for laptops...parts and labor.
Old 2005-12-28, 01:48 PM   #6
Ezdno
EJ251

Car: 1992 F250 1T Monster
Class: none

They were all dead when I got here!

Remember you get what you pay for...Dell sux ass, so does Gateway, they have great customer service on their units for a reason...I have delivered more Dell and Gateway warranty items in 6 months to never want to own either of them again! Good service is one you never have to use, because the unit never goes down.

If you truly want a bullet proof unit, there is only one choice IBM. If you consider a Compaq or HP you should turn in your Subaru. I know there are a lot of differing opinions around here and many people have had many experiences with every brand name out there. I have been a geek for a very long time. I have owned probably 10 dells, 3 Compaqs, 2 HPs, Toshiba, Micron, and only 2 IBMs, I will always buy IBM from now on. People call me every day when they want advice on computers.

btw, the IBM was an upgrade and I am awaiting my new t40 as we speak.

I will however sell you my Toshiba for a mere $300 if you act fast! Its a good unit, I just prefer my IBM. See it in the Classified section. 3yrs old.

Last edited by Ezdno; 2005-12-28 at 01:51 PM.
Ezdno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 01:52 PM   #7
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Sucks for you that IBM doesn't make laptops anymore.
Old 2005-12-28, 01:54 PM   #8
MorganK
EJ22

http://www.gateway.com/home/products...t_cx2610.shtml

bought this for school. ended up using it for everything else. the sd port was useful for my digital camera, windows mobile based phone, and mini dv cam.
great notebook for school and work.
MorganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 01:58 PM   #9
Ezdno
EJ251

Well that is semi correct. Lenova is the current owner of the IBM notebook part of IBM
Old 2005-12-28, 02:00 PM   #10
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezdno
Well that is semi correct. Lenova is the current owner of the IBM notebook part of IBM
Lenovo is a Chinese company that bought the rights to use the ThinkPad name. Hardly IBM quality from what I've heard and they aren't a part of IBM.
Old 2005-12-28, 02:06 PM   #11
Ezdno
EJ251

I will give my critique on the R51 I just bought for work in a week, and my t40 is actually a year old. It wouldnt be the first time my favorite computer company sold out and ruined their name....The original Compaq kicked ass before HP ruined them.

I think I would still take a LENOVA/IBM over the Dell, and I will never own another CP/HP again.

If you really want to see a cool computer check out the oqo at www.oqo.com
Old 2005-12-28, 02:07 PM   #12
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

I forgot IBM. I'm not convinced any of them are any better than the rest. My company with 7000+ PCs tested Dell, IBM, Compaq, and HP Last year and to be honest, they are all pretty damn similar. At this point from those major vendors, we consider them a commodity, and will hold up our current vendor, Dell to competitive pricing every 6 months, or they lose the business.

And paying $1200 for a notebook that is going to be just about as out of date in 3 years as the $500 one doesn't make sense for a home user.

Unless you want a game system, go cheap IMHO.
Old 2005-12-28, 02:10 PM   #13
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezdno
I will give my critique on the R51 I just bought for work in a week, and my t40 is actually a year old. It wouldnt be the first time my favorite computer company sold out and ruined their name....The original Compaq kicked ass before HP ruined them.

I think I would still take a LENOVA/IBM over the Dell, and I will never own another CP/HP again.

If you really want to see a cool computer check out the oqo at www.oqo.com
Yeah, I'm just weary of the new company taking over myself. Not that Dell and CP/HP is any better.
Old 2005-12-28, 02:13 PM   #14
Ezdno
EJ251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I forgot IBM. I'm not convinced any of them are any better than the rest. My company with 7000+ PCs tested Dell, IBM, Compaq, and HP Last year and to be honest, they are all pretty damn similar. At this point from those major vendors, we consider them a commodity, and will hold up our current vendor, Dell to competitive pricing every 6 months, or they lose the business.

And paying $1200 for a notebook that is going to be just about as out of date in 3 years as the $500 one doesn't make sense for a home user.

Unless you want a game system, go cheap IMHO.
True, depending on what you want or what you can afford, one may not be better than the other. As I said before, I prefer my IBMs to anything I have used or owned, or given away. I actually have recommended Dell to the home user that doesnt do anything more than check email, a few pictures, play a few games...BUT I ALWAYS suggest they upgrade their warranty.
Old 2005-12-28, 03:22 PM   #15
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Thanks for the replies guys. I should add a poll it might be interesting to see who leans to what.

I think sperry has a dell notebook.

Old 2005-12-28, 03:25 PM   #16
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Keep in mind, Scott has a Dell because thats our corporate partner. I dunno if he'd buy it on his own or not, if he needed to.
Old 2005-12-28, 03:39 PM   #17
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
Keep in mind, Scott has a Dell because thats our corporate partner. I dunno if he'd buy it on his own or not, if he needed to.
I was shown the discount you can get with IGT and I wasn't impressed, unless Scott got an even better discount that this other IGT person is not showing me.

Old 2005-12-28, 03:43 PM   #18
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Scott's laptop was an amazing discount. So amazing in fact, that its still IGT property
Old 2005-12-28, 03:47 PM   #19
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Yeah, my laptop was free, 'cause it's not really mine. I just use it everyday.
Old 2005-12-28, 04:03 PM   #20
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

In the past 12 years between percsonal and corporate notebooks, I have personally had/used 5 Dell's, 5 Compaqs, and 3 Toshibas that I have used foreverything from primary work PCs to test beds, to OBD2 readers.

Everyone's batteries crap out. If they would spend $1.00 more on their charging circuits, they would last a hell of a lot longer, but they don't. Dell had a problem with their pointing sticks/track pads for a while. Appears to be fixed now. Toshiba has had display failure problems, and quick battery disintegration. Compaqs held up OK if you take them apart and tighten their screws every 3 months.

I'm sure HP, and IBM have similar issues.

Make sure you have a USB HD for Backup and do so weekly at most. Notebook 2.5" drives fail 10 times more often at least that 3.5" desktop ones.

Assume they are disposable. Spend as little as possible to meet your needs, and consider a 3 year "free replacement" warrenty from a major retailer (CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City) if you can get it for < $100. make sure it starts imediately, not after the manufacturer one ends.
Old 2005-12-28, 04:09 PM   #21
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Quote:
In the past 12 years between percsonal and corporate notebooks, I have personally had/used 5 Dell's, 5 Compaqs, and 3 Toshibas that I have used foreverything from primary work PCs to test beds, to OBD2 readers.

Everyone's batteries crap out. If they would spend $1.00 more on their charging circuits, they would last a hell of a lot longer, but they don't. Dell had a problem with their pointing sticks/track pads for a while. Appears to be fixed now. Toshiba has had display failure problems, and quick battery disintegration. Compaqs held up OK if you take them apart and tighten their screws every 3 months.

I'm sure HP, and IBM have similar issues.

Make sure you have a USB HD for Backup and do so weekly at most. Notebook 2.5" drives fail 10 times more often at least that 3.5" desktop ones.

Assume they are disposable. Spend as little as possible to meet your needs, and consider a 3 year "free replacement" warrenty from a major retailer (CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City) if you can get it for < $100. make sure it starts imediately, not after the manufacturer one ends.
For some reason I had to post this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thanks_dean.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	2952  

Old 2005-12-28, 04:39 PM   #22
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:

... etc ...
Good feedback in here; I think people's experience has also depended on what model of laptop they have from any given manufacturer. Our work Dell laptop models are spec'd to support the business traveler and are hardier than the entry level line; yet, I have friends who have Dell entry level laptops and those haven't held up as well for as long.

So, Tyson, you want to get a laptop to replace your desktop? For space considerations? Or the versatility of being able to take it places? Because if you're not going to move it around alot, you may be able to get away with a lower-cost option, but if you plan to haul it here & there and unplug/plug in the power supply on a frequent basis, that is going to change what you want to pay for.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 04:51 PM   #23
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Have you guys seen this ? It's a Ferrari Laptop.
Old 2005-12-28, 04:54 PM   #24
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody
Have you guys seen this ? It's a Ferrari Laptop.
I prefer the Porsche one myself.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-105286.html
Old 2005-12-28, 07:20 PM   #25
LetItRev
R.I.P.

Car: 2004 WRX

I use notebooks for music playback for my business. I use USB hd's, mouse and sound card.

I had a few Toshiba's and had problems with software not working properly. I tweaked this and adjusted that and still had a few issues.

I bought a Sony Vaio and have had ZERO problems. I didn't have to tweak anything other than shutting off automatic updates.

Just my $.02.
LetItRev is offline   Reply With Quote