Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > User Classifieds

User Classifieds Got stuff to sell? Looking for something to buy? Check here!

Old 2008-04-20, 10:58 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default That does it... I think it's time to sell the WRX, FS: WRX Race/Trials Car

As one or two of you may have heard, the WRX is broken again. We got about 400 miles into the break-in on the new motor, and it spun a bearing. Mike Warfield thinks the bearings were sized improperly and they clearanced out during break in. At least what he saw w/ the oil pressures on the gauges matched what he saw when one of his race motors had that issue. I haven't talked w/ AIMS about it yet... they may want to get their hands on the block to figure out what happened... but I don't actually care all that much about what broke... I think I just want to get rid of the car and get something new. Economically speaking, it would be a lot cheaper to just get yet another short block and fix the car again instead of buying something new and starting over, but how long would an new motor last? I'm sick and tired of spending 8 months of work for 5 weekends of racing... I want something with a warranty.

So, anyway, I'm posting the WRX up for sale. I'm not interested in parting it out. If parting it out is the only way to get some money back on the car, I'll just keep it and fix it again. I'm only selling it if I can get rid of everything all at once.

So, here's the break-down:

Chassis/Interior
2002 WRX Shell, clean VIN, GST Motorsports 8-point Showroom Stock legal roll-cage
Walbro 255 fuel pump (feeds the swirl can)
GST Motorsports fuel swirl can
Bosch motorsports inline fuel pump
SS Braided fuel delivery line
Optima Yellow Top battery, trunk mounted
RaceTech 4009WHR driver's seat w/ slider bracket
RaceTech 4009W passenger's seat w/ slider bracket
RaceTech harnesses (driver & passenger)
I/O Port roll-cage video camera mount
RacePak G2X GPS Lap timer/mapper/dash display
Sparco 65mm dish steering wheel, w/ quick release
Steering wheel lock disabled
AMB X260 transponder
Defi BF-R gauges (boost, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, EGT)
Rear seats removed, replaced w/ aluminum trunk seperator
EDM Bug-Eye projector headlamps
JDM STI grill & fog light covers

Suspension
Tein SuperRace double adjustable coilovers (lowers for both 2004 and 2005 hubs)
Whiteline 20-22mm front swaybar
Whiteline 20-24mm rear swaybar
Poltec adjustable rear endlinks
Whiteline rear-subframe locking bolts
Whiteline rear-subframe low compliance bushings
Whiteling adjustable rear lateral-links
Poltec rear control arms
Whiteline roll-center kit (extended balljoint/tie-rod ends)
Whiteline Anti-Lift front control arm bushings
RevLabs 11.5:1 Q-Rack steering rack
245/40/17 Potenza RE10R (brand new) on A-Tech Erasor 17x8 +48 5x114.3 bronze wheels
255/40/17 Pilot Sport Cub (50%) on 5Zigen FN01R-C 17x9 +43 5x114.3 hyper-black wheels

Transmission/Brakes
2004 STI 6MT
2004 STI R180 Rear Differential
STI drive shaft
STI axles
2005 STI hubs (5x114.3 bolt pattern)
22b 2-pot rear calipers
Group-N gravel-spec rear brake rotors (two sets)
StopTech 332mm STI front brake kit (with spare rotors and hats)
Master cylinder flex brace
Neetronics DCCD programable DCCD controller
TIC/KartBoy short-shifter & bushing kit

Engine
2005 STI short block (spun bearing)
JE forged & coated pistons
2005 STI AVCS heads (stock cams)
Hydra ECU (cable throttle w/ AVCS control)
A/C removed
Heater-core bypassed
FP Green turbo
Perrin FMIC (anodized black, modified for blow thru MAF and water injecton)
Perrin Turbo-inlet hose
Perrin top-feed billet fuel rails
KS Tech phenolic spacers
KS Tech Cold Air Intake (prototype)
Cosworth Oil pan & baffle
GST Motorsports Oil Breather Can
12mm JDM oil pump (+1 shimmed)
Koyo Radiator (for 2002 WRX, anodized black)
Invidia bellmouth TBE
Perrin Up-pipe
Kartboy exhaust hangers
Hallman Pro MBC

The Good
- Virtually everything on the car is in "like-new" or "very good" condition, as the car has rather low miles since it took up track-only duty (<1000 miles since the cage went in)
- When the motor is working, the car is regularly the fastest car at Reno SCCA Time Trials events, beating out even open-wheel cars, Radicals, etc. The car still holds the NORPAC Championship lap record for Reno-Fernley Raceway.

The Bad
- Spun bearing in new motor (improper bearing sizes?), motor needs a new shortblock, and proper cleaning/inspection of anything the oil's been through)
- Won't pass smog, all the evap bits have been removed and the Hydra isn't OBD-II. If you really felt like being creative, you could hook the evap stuff back up and run a stock ECU (I'll throw all the bits in with the car) to pass smog, but it'll be a hassle.

The Ugly
- Cosmetic damage on left side (front fender, rear fender, minor damage to doors). The car slid into a split-rail fence. The door damage can probably just be fixed by a professional dent extractor, the rear fender could be repaired pretty easily but needs paint, the front fender should just be replaced (I've hammered it out and hit it w/ a rattle can to prevent rust).
- The car is a race car, so it's not showroom pretty... there are paint chips, paint cracks (most are cone shaped), bent jacking rails, etc. It looks fine at speed, but if you're looking for a pretty car, look elsewhere.

I estimate it would cost nearly $50,000 to buy a shell and build this car (and I wish that was all I spend building it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I've got more than $100,000 into the car over the last 7 years). I also estimate that I should be able to part the car out for over $24,000 if I was willing to go through the hassle. So I figure an asking price of $18,000 for the car as-is is a smoking deal. I'm sure many people will disagree, so I'm willing to take offers, but low-ballers will be laughed at and publicly humiliated. I'm selling this car so I can go buy a new STi. If I'm not going to get enough to do that, then I'll just build the motor again and keep racing it.

I'll post up some pictures once I get off my ass and go take some.

PS: for an even $20k, I'll throw in the 18' steel-deck dove-tail trailer it's on.

Last edited by sperry; 2008-04-20 at 06:31 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 06:12 PM   #2
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

First! OMG

Just get an evoX

Last edited by 100_Percent_Juice; 2008-04-20 at 06:16 PM.
100_Percent_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-20, 06:20 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
First! OMG

Just get an evoX
Replace my unreliable Subaru w/ a Mitsubishi? I wouldn't think they have internet access on whatever planet you're posting from.
Old 2008-04-21, 08:15 AM   #4
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I wasn't serious about the evox. I can't possibly understand how you feel about your subaru. I would have blown my head off long ago if all that would have happened to me. You gave this car more chances than anyone else probably would have. I think its time to move on to a new platform even if that means the only way to get rid of your subaru is by parting it out.
Old 2008-04-21, 09:11 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
I wasn't serious about the evox. I can't possibly understand how you feel about your subaru. I would have blown my head off long ago if all that would have happened to me. You gave this car more chances than anyone else probably would have. I think its time to move on to a new platform even if that means the only way to get rid of your subaru is by parting it out.
I'm not parting it out. I could probably sell off like 1/3 of the bits quickly, but then I'd be left with a race shell and a pile of parts in my garage for the next 4 years. Plus, I'm not interested in doing the whole eBay bullshit, dealing with lowballers and scammers, etc.

If there's someone out there that this car will fit, it'll be a great deal for them. If not, I'll just park it for a while until I can find a stock STI motor for it on the cheap or something... I dunno.