Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2009-09-04, 03:37 PM   #1
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter
Default I can has new clutch?

So my clutch started slipping the other day and now its just lame. I can barely press the gas without it slipping. I have the Exedy organic that I purchased from Gruppe-s with their LW flywheel about 2 years and 20k miles ago. I am thinking about going back to my stock flywheel and getting rid of the LW. I just don't know if I am getting much benefit out of it for the added driving hassle and noise.

Where is a good place in town to resurface a flywheel for a reasonable price?

Do I need to buy an entire new clutch kit or can I get away with a new clutch disc and throw out bearing? I ask because on ebay I found a clutch kit for $200 shipped or just the clutch disc for $57 shipped + whatever I have to pay for a new throw out bearing.

Are all throw out bearings created equal or should I get OEM if it works? I am sertain that my throw out bearing went bad a couple thousand miles ago due to different sounds that its been making while shifting or sitting with the clutch disengaged. Also, I never posted the picture but, when I removed my transmission I noticed that my throw out bearing was missing half of one of the arms. So if we were playing barrel of monkeys and my T.O. bearing was a monkey it would have one arm broken off at the elbow. I assume that probably added to extra rattling noise I have been hearing when the clutch is disengaged.

Let me know if you have any ideas because I would like to take care of this before I go down to LA in a few weeks.
Old 2009-09-04, 03:50 PM   #2
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Sorry dude, moving my STI probably didn't help. That sounds like a really short life for a clutch.

You can probably just drop a new Exedy disc in. I'd even be tempted to contact them and complain and see what they do.

Also, talk to Reno brake. last I knew, they resurface flywheels free with clutch purchase and should be able to get you parts or put new material on your old disc.

Your new clutch should have come with a new T.O. bearing. ???
Old 2009-09-04, 04:00 PM   #3
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Don't worry about it. It was on its way out before I helped you do that. I thought it seemed short too since my car made it to 68k on the stock clutch(I think) and the exedy organic is supposed to be the stock replacement. The guy at Gruppe-s said "oh that is probably typical since you are at stage 2 power and probably drive a little more aggressive.". I personally think a portion of the wear out had a small part to do with their LW flywheel making it more of a chore to shift and rev match and all that jive.

The last clutch I bought did come with a TO bearing. I am just wondering if there is a better one I can buy and also skip having to buy a new pressure plate. Either way, $200 isn't that bad for the entire kit. I will call Reno brake and see what they can do for me.
Old 2009-09-04, 04:06 PM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Either stock or Exedy pressure plate should be reusable unless they are thrashed.
Old 2009-09-04, 04:26 PM   #5
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

How can you tell?
Old 2009-09-04, 10:40 PM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

It's sort of like looking at a used brake rotor. If there's a lot of grooving or scoring, or it looks excessively worn then it should be replaced. If it looks good except for some disc material deposits, just resurface it.