Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2010-10-05, 08:20 AM   #1
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!
Default Windshield Wiper Issue

Starting yesterday, my windshield wipers are acting strange. If the windshield is not super wet, they won't sweep as far as they used to, meaning they stop a few inches short at the top and bottom of their stroke. But if the windshield is totally wet, they'll actually go too far and hit the top and/or the bottom of the windshield surrounds, especially when set on the fastest setting.

I took them apart last night hoping to find a loose nut or something easy, but it just appears that there is play in the motor itself, I think. Time for a new windshield wiper motor? Where's a good place to get a good new one? One of the online OEM dealers?
Old 2010-10-05, 09:08 AM   #2
03wrxwagon
EJ22

airport auto!!! a ton of subarus there right now
03wrxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 10:41 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I had this problem with the SVX. I just had to take apart the mechanism, clean it, and regrease it. Then again the SVX has a crazy complicated cam mechanism in there because the wipers have an extra sweep mode to allow them to park off the glass down below the hood, and it was that mechanism that had gotten sloppy and allowed the wipers to sweep out of range.

I don't think the WRX mechanism is that complicated, but it wouldn't hurt to see if there's anything in there that could use a rebuild.
Old 2010-10-05, 11:10 AM   #4
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

I'm just unsure of the cause of the issue because when I grab the wiper and can move them 4 or 5 inches, I thought it would be the motor, but it sounds like a lot of people are seeing the exact same symptom and fixing it by replacing a bushing after reading this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676373

Now I'm not going to employ that ghetto solution, but I just want to avoid replacing the wrong part (motor or linkage). It sounds like Subaru won't sell the bushing so you have to buy the whole linkage mechanism.

Note to Self: Wiper and Washer Systems, here: http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/6%20-%20BODY.PDF
Old 2010-10-05, 12:53 PM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

More notes to self:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-l View Post
I just did this on my 2003. It is the linkage (86521FE010) not the motor. It looked like a PITA to get it off so I went the replacement route instead of the HELP bushing route. I was $76 at Subaruonlineparts.com

See if it was the nylon ball joint at the end of the rod from the motor that connects to the two wipers. You wouldn't thin 1/8 inch play there would let the wipers go over the window but it did.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ighlight=wiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoonangel View Post
i just tried this... hope it works.
got part #675-1595 for toyota at napa. looks just like 49448, except i didn't cut it, i just snapped the whole thing in, eliminating the plastic and rubber washer that the linkage sits on. the bushing first snaps onto the linkage and then it will click onto the ball joint. then i just used some channel locks and the whole thing seated itself onto the ball joint with a very healthy snap!
once you remove the assembly it takes just a few minutes... super easy!
i haven't tried them doing 70 mph yet but i did run them on high and dry, seems good.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...2#post30242662
Old 2010-10-05, 12:56 PM   #6
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

It really sounds like a worn/broken bushing/mount if it is affecting both sides.

If you move the wipers and the motor doesn't move, somewhere in between the motion starts.

Many bushings can be sourced, fabbed or jury rigged depending on materials and shape/size.
Old 2010-10-05, 01:03 PM   #7
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
It really sounds like a worn/broken bushing/mount if it is affecting both sides.

If you move the wipers and the motor doesn't move, somewhere in between the motion starts.

Many bushings can be sourced, fabbed or jury rigged depending on materials and shape/size.
Yah, I read many, many people reporting that it's the bushings, not the motor, on Nabisco. The NAPA part number, 675-1595, given in the quote above, is actually 5 bushings for $9.49. I'm going to pick up a set tomorrow morning since stupid NAPA closes at 5:30 pm since that's the only part reported to fit without too much "rigging"...but only by one person...