Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2008-01-30, 12:22 AM   #1
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3
Default The *Official* New Music Thread!

Alright, time for the music nerds to try and show off. Feel free to add your own. Stuff you are anticipating or whatever. Here is what I'm looking forward to this year.

---

Dub Trio - Another Sound is Dying (1/29/0
I don't normally like dub, reggae, ragga, ska, dancehall or the other derivatives (my apologies to any Jamacians, but your music sucks), but Dub Trio is more of an instrumental hardcore jam band with spacy dub atmospherics layered over everything. The album came out today and I was listening to it all day at work. Great stuff.
Live show video: www.woozyfly.com/dubtrio
Some more samples on their myspace: www.myspace.com/dubtrio

KMFDM - Brimborium (2/19/200
Its like an addiction. I can't stop now. I've got 25+ albums, eps, singles from them. So, even when there is a remix album that I have little hope for, I can't not buy it.

Del The Funky Homosapien - Eleventh Hour (3/11/0
Its been a long time since his last solo album, and he's saying in interviews that he's toned down the complexity of his lyrics for this album.
Free download single Bubblepop - http://www.definitivejux.net/mp3/bubble_pop.mp3

Mike Patton - Soundtrack to A Perfect Place (3/11/0
Soundtrack to an indie film "A Perfect Place". Covers a lot of ground supposedly from dark atmospheric stuff to 50's bubblegum pop type stuff. Album will come with a DVD of the film (or does the film come with a CD of the soundtrack?).

Casettes Won't Listen - Small Time Machine (3/11/0
A project I'm not too familiar with, except for a few killer remixes. The solo stuff seems more electro-indie. But decent remixes, and a good free single... will have to look into more later.
Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/cassetteswontlisten
Free single off the new album - Paper Float (not working for me at the moment)

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold (4/22/0
Atmosphere - Sad Clown Bad Spring 12 (EP) should be out sometime in the spring too.
Atmosphere - Strictly Leakage (1/8/0 Free Internet Album
Everyone's favorite emo rap duo is back!

Praxis - Profanation (Preparation for a Coming Darkness) - Released 1/1/08 in Japan. US release unknown.
Bill Laswell's superproject. Buckethead and Brain seem to be the mainstays again (I wish Bootsy Collins would come back). And guests like Hawkman, Iggy Pop, Mike Patton, Serj Tankian, Future Prophecies, Killah Priest and others. Those names alone get me a little excited.
Wikipedia entry on the article for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profana...ng_Darkness%29

Buckethead - Untitled Studio Album - Spring 08
I was tempted to put this under the Unknown Status heading below, but considering he's been putting out an album on an average of every 6 months, I'm pretty sure it'll come out this spring. Rumor has it that it'll be similar to Buckethead and Friends with Serj Tankian putting helping out quite a bit with vocal and production duties.

Projects of Unknown Status
These ones are projects that are supposedly completed and/or working on and should be released in 08, but you never know.

Butterscotch
She's won beatboxing championships against heavyweights like Rahzel and is a multi-instrumental performer with a very dramatic vocal range (outside of the beatboxing) Supposedly a debut album is in the works. Hip-hop, Jazz, R&B, Soul, Experimental. A lot of potential here. Hopefully she can live up to it.
Promo Video
Live on Tom Green's show

Secret Chiefs 3 - Book of Souls Folio One
This is a very schizophrenic project, even by my standards. Their music covers surf rock, Persian, Arabic, Indian, death metal, film music, electronic music, and various others (thanks Wikipedia!) and the leader Trey Spruance (Mr. Bungle) says that SC3 is really a collection of 7 bands that each express a different part of his musical background. Fucking hippie stoner, but whatever, its good music.
Live in Sydney
Live in Melbourne
Myspace Page for more info

Deltron - Deltron Event II - (Del, Dan the Automator, Kid Koala) Supposedly finished in 06 minus vocals from Del, this album hopefully is getting worked on now that his solo album should be done
Video Links from the previous album:
Mastermind
Positive Contact
Things you can do
Memory Loss

Lovage - (Dan the Automator, Mike Patton, Jennifer Charles) - Again, supposedly done, but no release yet. My guess is that they are still waiting on final vocals from Patton since he's been mister work-a-holic for the past few years.
Video links from previous album:
Book of the Month
Stroker Ace

Peeping Tom - (Mike Patton)
When the first album was released in 06, Patton claimed there was enough material already recorded for a second or third album. Rumors are abound that a second album will be released this year. The first album was a mail-in colloboration superalbum with the likes of Dub Trio, Dan the Automator, Rahzel, Kool Keith, Jel, Doesone, Massive Attack, Amon Tobin, Norah Jones and more.
Mojo
We're Not Alone - Live on Henry Rollins Show

Pig
He posted last year that he was working on a new album. Hopefully nearing completion so we can see it sometime in this calendar year.
The Sick - Live

Last edited by Nick Koan; 2008-01-30 at 01:06 AM.
Nick Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 09:38 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I can honestly say, I neither know or care about these bands.

/wet blanket
Old 2008-01-30, 11:30 AM   #3
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Del's lyrics are what make his music unique. I hope he doesn't change too much. I've liked pretty much every Atmosphere album, so I'm looking forward to that one. As for the others, I guess I'm not whatevery enough, because I have no idea who any of them are.
Old 2008-01-30, 11:30 AM   #4
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I can honestly say, I neither know or care about these bands.

/wet blanket
QFT
Old 2008-01-30, 11:35 AM   #5
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba View Post
Del's lyrics are what make his music unique. I hope he doesn't change too much. I've liked pretty much every Atmosphere album, so I'm looking forward to that one. As for the others, I guess I'm not whatevery enough, because I have no idea who any of them are.
Well, he's said he thought everything was getting too complex, and that by making the lyrics so complex he felt he was going over most peoples heads. He's saying that the real measure of intelligence is the ability to distill knowledge down to a language most people can understand.

So, I'm still expecting good things from this album. Maybe a little less wordplay, but the wit and vim should still be there.
Old 2008-01-30, 01:05 PM   #6
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Maybe a little less wordplay, but the wit and vim should still be there.
But what about the vigor?
Old 2008-01-30, 01:29 PM   #7
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!

Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk (4/15/0
The Finnish heavy metal band is at it again. Considering I haven't heard a Children of Bodom album I haven't loved, this should be another brutal release.

In Flames- A Sense of Purpose (everywhere except the US by April 0
A US release is definite, but at an unknown date. I don't know what to say about In Flames, they are an amazing band with an incredibly unique sound. They have changed a lot since their start in 1990. The last 4 or 5 albums were amazing so I am hoping this one follows.

Slipknot- Unknown.
Well the 9 piece mutant band has denied any recording, but all sources point to something stirring within the band. Only time will tell.

Metallica- Unknown.
Well after the personal disappointment of the legendary rockers last album I am looking forward to this release. Metallica claims they are going back to basics. The are going for a Black Album and previous type sound. Personally I think James should start hitting the bottle again...
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 01:32 PM   #8
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
Metallica- Unknown.
Well after the personal disappointment of the legendary rockers last album I am looking forward to this release. Metallica claims they are going back to basics. The are going for a Black Album and previous type sound. Personally I think James should start hitting the bottle again...
They've said that ever since Load was released.

I ain't holding my breath.
Old 2008-01-30, 01:38 PM   #9
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Yeah seriously. Kill em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All were the only REAL Metallica albums.

Oh and St. Anger.......
Old 2008-01-30, 01:46 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnydaJibba View Post
Yeah seriously. Kill em All, Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, ...And Justice for All were the only REAL Metallica albums.

Oh and St. Anger.......
Didn't they say St. Anger was supposed to be "going back to basics"? Otherwise how can you explain the coffee can and empty boxes that Lars was using as a "drum kit" on that album?
Old 2008-01-30, 01:59 PM   #11
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

FIRE BAD!
Old 2008-01-30, 05:02 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS View Post
FIRE BAD!
What makes you think a joke that wasn't funny in the other thread would suddenly be funny in here with even less context?

Old 2008-01-30, 05:06 PM   #13
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I'm just amusing myself. I can't hear the word "Mettalica" without remembering that cartoon. It's actually justified their existence for me.
Old 2008-01-30, 06:07 PM   #14
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

REM, Modest Mouse, and The National Tour

San Francisco May 31

I'd like to see that.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 06:37 PM   #15
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!

Did you say REM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTkDttT4de4
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 09:19 PM   #16
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Nice, can't wait to check it all out.
Old 2008-01-30, 10:21 PM   #17
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
What makes you think a joke that wasn't funny in the other thread would suddenly be funny in here with even less context?

Hey F U buddy.

Old 2008-02-01, 01:03 AM   #18
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

I'm pretty stoked about the Road Hammer's new stuff...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FKGYioWkSJY&feature=related
..."just doin what I gotta do..."
Old 2008-02-01, 10:26 AM   #19
doubleurx
EJ205

Don't forget about those new hits by Nikolas Sonder! Ha Ha

I've been doing some recording with my Electric Violin and Guitar. If your ears start to bleed, I will take no offense.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=800951
Old 2008-02-01, 12:18 PM   #20
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleurx View Post

I've been doing some recording with my Electric Violin and Guitar. If your ears start to bleed, I will take no offense.

Those songs will someday be in an RPG where you are a tiny alarm clock in search for a AAAbattery.
Old 2008-02-05, 09:17 PM   #21
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Just got news that a new Head Automatica album should be out, as well as the debut disk from Palumbo's other side project House of Blow. Cage should also have another album out this spring too, but we probably won't hear anything about it until Def Jux is done promoting the new Del album.

Another three for me (and maybe only me) to get excited over.

Some samples and stuff:

Head Automatica
Beat Heart Baby
The Razor
Lying Through Your Teeth
Graduation Day

House of Blow
Myspace w/ two tracks

Cage
Cage - Hell's Winter (live on FuelTV)
Cage - Shoot Frank feat. Daryl Palumbo

Last edited by Nick Koan; 2008-02-06 at 02:41 PM.
Nick Koan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-05, 09:42 PM   #22
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:

Nick, I missed this the first time around, and only just now listened to this stuff. Overall, I do like it.

But, some constructive criticism, first, the drums are simplistic. They just sound like small loops over and over again without much variation. Also, there is a non-existent bass (as far as I can tell). Drums and bass are, in my opinion, the most important parts of music. They are the foundation, and without a good foundation, everything just sounds a little bit flatter.

But, I do like the melodies and the flow from the violin and guitar. About the only thing I could recommend in that front is to send the signals through some more filters. This may sound weird coming from someone that almost exclusively listens to synthetic music, but at times they sound too synthetic.

But, like I said, I liked it. I would think it could sound really good with some more post-production work.
Old 2008-02-06, 02:57 PM   #23
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Nick, I missed this the first time around, and only just now listened to this stuff. Overall, I do like it.

But, some constructive criticism, first, the drums are simplistic. They just sound like small loops over and over again without much variation. Also, there is a non-existent bass (as far as I can tell). Drums and bass are, in my opinion, the most important parts of music. They are the foundation, and without a good foundation, everything just sounds a little bit flatter.

But, I do like the melodies and the flow from the violin and guitar. About the only thing I could recommend in that front is to send the signals through some more filters. This may sound weird coming from someone that almost exclusively listens to synthetic music, but at times they sound too synthetic.

But, like I said, I liked it. I would think it could sound really good with some more post-production work.
Thanks Nick - great comments. I am still learning the software I use to record and that is where the drum and bass tracks come in. With more experience, hopefully that will improve. I just posted another tune that ups the volume of both of those called "Jet Stream". It's shorter and rocks a little more. Have a listen and let me know what you think needs improvement. All the tunes are going to get some major work this month.
Old 2008-02-06, 03:02 PM   #24
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Actually, Jet Stream was the first one I listened to, and it was by far my favorite
Old 2008-02-07, 06:16 PM   #25
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:

Wow Nick (but, it's really spelled 'Nik'?), when do you have time to do this??

Thanks for sharing.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote