Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Vendor Correspondence

Vendor Correspondence Press releases, announcements, sales and official correspondence from vendors in the local community.

Old 2007-11-28, 06:20 PM   #1
EQ Tuning
EJ22

Default Results From Reno Tuning Weekend Nov 24-25

Another successful Reno tuning trip with plenty more happy customers .

It was quite cold so the cars were really putting down some impressive numbers!

Here are the road dyno plots in no particular order.

-----------------------------
06 STI with Perrin DP, HKS Catback, and K&N Typhoon. Very simple setup with great results:

91 Octane, 19.5psi peak, 10.7:1 a/f

06 WRX with VF39, E-Bay TMIC, Walbro fuel pump, Prodrive solenoid, Cobb Catted Downpipe, and STOCK catback.
This customer requested an extra conservative tune. That combined with the choking effect of the stock catback at these power levels, resulted in relatively unimpressive peak numbers. The customer, however, was thrilled with the overall gains from the Cobb OTS map he was previously running, noting not only a huge increase in overall power but better drivability, smoother acceleration, much better response, and a ton more torque in the mid range.

91 Octane, 17.5psi, 10.8:1 a/f

06 WRX with TD05-18g 7cm, walbro, TBE, MBC. We tuned this car last time on 91 but while attempting to tune with Torco, the inlet started collapsing. The customer replaced the inlet and we went at it again this time with the Torco tune. That stuff really works... gotta love the gains!

1 can Torco to a full tank of 91, 21.5psi peak, 10.9:1 a/f

05 STI with what appears to be a Crawford GT30R setup. This car was brought in by a local shop and the details on the turbo kit were lacking. The base turbo kit appears to be from Crawford and just by looking at the turbo, I believe its their GT30R kit. It also has Deatschwerks 740cc injectors, walbro, a GM 3-port boost solenoid, and a custom blow-through MAF setup. The overall setup was far from ideal but we were very impressed with how well this kit spooled. Boost response was just amazing overall. The tune was on the extra conservative side by request of the shop owner.

91 Octane, 20psi, 10.7:1 a/f

06 WRX with CP Pistons, TD06-20G 8cm, APS TMIC, APS 70mm CAI, Deatschwerks 750cc, MBC, Headers, etc. This is Cory's car which never ceases to amaze with issues. We got through the 91 Octane tune ok without any obviously aparant clutch issues but as soon as we raised the boost for the C16 map, the clutch let loose on the first pull. This car is also plagued by some wiring or noise issue which trips the knock sensor at light load only after a shift. Strangely enough at WOT it seems to be fairly consistent although after reviewing this dyno graph I believe the clutch began to slip even on the 91 tune. Next up for Cory is a new clutch, replacing the fuel filter, and tracking down the wiring gremlin.

Here's his plot on 91 Octane, 21psi peak, 10.7:1:

06 STI with SR56, APS FMIC, Custom Blow-Through MAF, PE850cc injectors, MBC
This is another car we tuned previously but ran into some issues. The biggest issue was the wastegate was too loose causing low boost levels and horrible lag. This time around the customer tightened down the wastegate and made a couple other small improvements.

Here is the car on 91 Octane, 21psi, 10.8:1:

When we proceeded to tune the car on C16, we realized boost would still not go over 22psi. The suspicion is that the MBC the customer bought has the soft spring inside which would not allow us to run higher boost levels. We proceeded with the C16 tune at just 22psi peak with some pretty good results considering. Next time around the customer will have an EWG and the correct spring in the MBC. I believe this turbo will really wake up at that point.

Here is the C16 tune at 22psi peak, 11.9:1 a/f:

I'd like to thank Cory for organizing this trip. I always have fun up in Reno and this time was no exception. Its really starting to get cold up there so I'm not sure if we can get another trip in before snow hits the ground. I know these guys have some more things in the works and might try to get in another trip this season. If I forgot to post someone's results, please let me know and I'll be happy to dig them up.

Thanks
-- Ed
EQ Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 07:49 PM   #2
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Nice turnout! Could you stuff any more 06's in there

The last 06 Sti listed with the Sr56 seems like a laggy mother even after you fixed the wastegate issue. Would some of that be due to the FMIC?
Old 2007-11-28, 08:56 PM   #3
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

I'm sorry, but this is getting a little old. This is vendor correspondence, not tech IMHO.

If the owners want to post their results in the Dyno thread for discussion that is great, but otherwise I see this as advertising not tech.

Ed, if you want to post technical details related to the tune such as the maps or details related to the tuning process, that would be great and appropriate for the tech section.

Last edited by Dean; 2007-11-28 at 09:01 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-28, 09:36 PM   #4
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

Correct, this is vendor correspondence.

Thanks,

-The Management
Old 2007-11-28, 11:45 PM   #5
EQ Tuning
EJ22

Wherever you guys want it is cool by me. I just post this up for the customers and to answer any technical questions people may have about the cars and tunes. I'm happy to provide any info you guys would like.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 2007-11-28, 11:48 PM   #6
EQ Tuning
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
The last 06 Sti listed with the Sr56 seems like a laggy mother even after you fixed the wastegate issue. Would some of that be due to the FMIC?
It is quite laggy indeed. While the wastegate issue didn't significantly effect the torque peak, the car feels much more responsive and boost recovers much quicker after shifts. Combine that and the fact that we couldn't get over 18psi out of it last time, the difference was very pronounced. I really believe this size turbo needs an EWG to take full advantage of the flow and make the power/lag trade-off more fair. The compressor on this turbo is quite large but the exhaust housing isn't... the EWG will really aid in freeing up the exhaust side. Of course then we can also run more boost on the race gas map and hopefully hit around 400whp

-- Ed