Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2005-03-21, 07:12 PM   #1
Cobalt
n00b

Default Generation 01 Legacy

Hello to all. I'm a fellow Subaru owner with a 1991 Subaru Legacy. The first generation Legacy. With all of the Imprezas and WRXs out there I'd like to see what some have done with the "old skool" Legacies. Perferably the sedans.

Here are a few things that I am planning to do to my Subee.
-new silver 16" Subaru Baja rims
-new coil springs - previous owner heated and compressed them to lower car
-new Toyo tires
-change existing hood to 91 turbo hood ( with fake air scoop )
-add cold air intake
-new rally performance shock absorbers
-possible WRX wing (opinions welcomed about this one, I think it might be too big)
-new rally performance brake system

These are some the things that I'll list later. But for the most part I'd like to see what other owners with my kind of Legacy have done with theirs.
Attached Images

-The one; the only Cobalt Griffin-
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-21, 07:19 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Nice car, looks like it's in great shape. Welcome to SECCS.

I don't know if it'll fit, but an RS coupe wing beats any old WRX wing for sure. Find yourself a good catback too- any subaru motor sounds sweet with the right exhaust.
Old 2005-03-21, 07:31 PM   #3
bruspeed
EJ251

Car: 2005 2.5 rs cgm
Class: TDSP

totally agree about the exhaust, great sound, unmistakeable, also like the old school digs , nice ride.
Old 2005-03-21, 07:39 PM   #4
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

We love old Legacies

RIP doriftu-leg.
Old 2005-03-21, 07:43 PM   #5
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Big fan of the old Legacy's. My mom used to have one that I drove around a bit.

Legacy power
Old 2005-03-21, 07:43 PM   #6
Cobalt
n00b

Why thank you on the comments about my Subee. I've seen a few RS coupe wings, they look pretty nice. I just don't want to get anything too big. The previous owner had a huge aftermarket wing. A few of my friends said it was like a 'helicopter wing'. Then he sold me the car with the spoiler. The exhause was already done, I passed the smog test with extremely low emissions. Before I get anything I need to get the new coils, everything feels 'slushy' during cornering. there's that and I can't get an alignment with the suspension the way it is at the moment.
Attached Images

Old 2005-03-21, 07:47 PM   #7
Cobalt
n00b

Now that is a cool image, thanks to sybir for posting it. How did you burn rubber like that? I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Old 2005-03-21, 07:48 PM   #8
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt
Now that is a cool image, thanks to sybir for posting it. How did you burn rubber like that? I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
That car was converted to rear wheel drive, and its a turbo (I believe stock power). Its easier to burn rubber when the car isn't AWD.
Old 2005-03-21, 07:52 PM   #9
Cobalt
n00b

That's what I thought. But wouldn't an older Subaru like mine have four wheel drive 4WD instead of all wheel drive. Since that all wheel drive is a symmetrical system, and 4WD isn't? But either way it's better that having two wheel drive.

Old 2005-03-21, 08:03 PM   #10
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
That's what I thought. But wouldn't an older Subaru like mine have four wheel drive 4WD instead of all wheel drive. Since that all wheel drive is a symmetrical system, and 4WD isn't? But either way it's better that having two wheel drive.
Actually, a AWD system is usually asymetrical, as they use differentials to send differing ammounts of power to different wheels. 4wd will send the same amount of power to every wheel, because everything is fully locked down. Fully locked 4WD systems would be more symetrical, at least in my opinion (just don't tell Subaru's current marketing department)

I believe that the first generation Legacys are still technically AWD, as the car can continuiously move power around with differentials. I believe the pre-1990 Subarus had 4wd, whereas the post-1990 Subarus have AWD.
Old 2005-03-21, 08:10 PM   #11
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

My mom has a 91 wagon, and it's AWD not 4WD.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-21, 08:17 PM   #12
Kevin M
EJ22T

"Symmetrical All Wheel Drive" refers to the fact that the drivetrain is exactly centerd on the centerline of the chassis, unlike everybody else's FWD-derived AWD, which is heavier, more complicated, more expensive, and generally not as good without electronic controls.
Old 2005-03-21, 08:28 PM   #13
Weasel 22
EJ22

look for the SVXi gathered at the meets..there you can park your 'classic' with the other oldies..nice car!
SVX (Subaru Vehicle X)...no matter how far a jackass travels..it won't come back a horse
Weasel 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-21, 08:54 PM   #14
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Welcome Cobalt...Cool car.
Old 2005-03-22, 01:03 AM   #15
BOO
EJ205

Car: 12+tires
Class: Spec.

without hard work, nothing grows but weeds

Welcome to SECCS

I love the 91's (Legacy sedans) ..

back in '91, I was actually loking at the 91 Turbo legacy's vs the AWD/AWS Turbo Mitsubishi Galant VR4 .. never bought either one..lol... but none the less they have always been one of my favorite sleeper cars

GC,GD,GM
BOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-03-22, 07:36 AM   #16
Cobalt
n00b

Thanks to the answers of what all wheel drive really is, I wasn't too sure what it was before the explanations. At least I had a good concept. Thanks for the welcomes, I look forward to eventually seeing some of you at the events. I'm in Reno, NV so I'll be based at events there.
Also does anyone know how to permanently "clear up" clear plastic to make it perfectly clear (like the new headlamps)? I've heard of people sanding down the lamp casing to just take off the top layer, and I've tried the Meguiars clear plastic cleaner, but I'm looking for something that lasts longer. A lot longer. And oldie Subaru Legacy owners I look forward to see your vintage rides. I believe that "vintage" is the best word for Subarus like mine. Things only get better with age, like fine wine.

Old 2005-03-22, 11:47 AM   #17
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Thanks to the answers of what all wheel drive really is, I wasn't too sure what it was before the explanations. At least I had a good concept. Thanks for the welcomes, I look forward to eventually seeing some of you at the events. I'm in Reno, NV so I'll be based at events there.
Also does anyone know how to permanently "clear up" clear plastic to make it perfectly clear (like the new headlamps)? I've heard of people sanding down the lamp casing to just take off the top layer, and I've tried the Meguiars clear plastic cleaner, but I'm looking for something that lasts longer. A lot longer. And oldie Subaru Legacy owners I look forward to see your vintage rides. I believe that "vintage" is the best word for Subarus like mine. Things only get better with age, like fine wine.
There are two ways old plastic headlamps get foggy... one is pitting, the other is yellowing. For pitting, you can use a multi-stage sanding procedure where you start with a 1000 grit sand paper and get finer untill you're using plastic polish to take out the pits and scratches. But for the yellowing, I don't think there's anything you can do, because the plasitic itself has changed opacity due to UV light... i.e. the plastic has chemically changed. In that case, you might be able to get some new lenses... but if they're like the SVX you'll only be able to order complete lights, and not just the lenses.
Old 2005-03-22, 12:37 PM   #18
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Excellent! Another oldie! My first Subie was/is a '90 Legacy wagon. I have never modded it though, as it's too old and used up now. Soon it will be leaving, I think, for smog reasons.

Yeah, yours is definitely AWD. I don't think any of the Legacies had 4WD, as much as that's what I'd want.
Scott hit the headlight thing on the nose.
There was some compatibilty between the Impreza and the 1st Gen Legacy in regards to suspension, I think, so hopefully some folks with the knowledge here will be able to tell you.

If I remember right, there was a large community of people on the internet into modding the Turbo 1st Gen Legacies. Suspension and body stuff would all be the same, probably. Been here yet? http://www.legacycentral.org/

Looking forward to seeing what you do to it!
Old 2005-04-02, 11:16 PM   #19
Cobalt
n00b

Thanks to everyone for posting replies to my thread. Thanks to all. But back to more important business. I went to Midas today to have my oil changed for five bucks (I signed up for the lifetime lube) and my rack and pinion on the left side is leaking fluid. So does anyone out there in the Reno and Sparks NV area know what may have caused this to happen, how it can be fully resolved once and for all, and lastly if a bad suspension and alignment with the car leaning slightly and drifiing to the left could be an underlying cause of my leaking steering system. ANY feedback is highly welcome. I'll be talking to Dr. Funk in person later this week, most likely on Monday.

Old 2005-04-03, 11:03 AM   #20
sp00ln
EJ205

Are these first gens RWD?
Old 2005-04-03, 03:54 PM   #21
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln
No such thing as a RWD Subaru. Except that one time.
Old 2005-04-03, 05:17 PM   #22
Cobalt
n00b

I've never seen a RWD Subaru Legacy, however I have seen and know the owner of a 1990 Legacy with Front Wheel drive only. My legacy can be either FWD or 4WD/AWD, using a fuse in the FWD box in the engine bay. I don't have a fuse there, so my Subee is 4WD/AWD. Nor do I intend to put one there. Anyways I talked to Dr. Funk in person about my power steering issue, well aparently it's a broken joint on the left side of my steering system. I hope that it's just that and nothing more. Until I get it fixed I'm constantly adding new power steering fluid. Repairs should be done by this week. I just gotta find someone that can do it. But if Dr. Funk and Midas are both right then I have a lot of repairs ahead of me. Hopefully Midas is wrong.

Old 2005-04-03, 10:26 PM   #23
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln
It is when you weld the center diff
Old 2005-04-08, 06:39 PM   #24
Cobalt
n00b

Guess what Midas was right. Great, now I'm getting my power rack replaced. Well at least it's gonna be fixed. Both boots wore out and allowed dirt and junk to get into the seals. And I heard that the Legacies are built with better power racks than the Imprezas, does anyone out there know if that's true.

Old 2005-04-11, 09:14 AM   #25
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Quote:
Guess what Midas was right. Great, now I'm getting my power rack replaced. Well at least it's gonna be fixed. Both boots wore out and allowed dirt and junk to get into the seals. And I heard that the Legacies are built with better power racks than the Imprezas, does anyone out there know if that's true.

My 90 Legacy feels much better than my 98 Impreza in this regard.