Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Website News & Issues

Website News & Issues Read about site updates. Put your bugs, issues, and suggestions for seccs.org here!

Old 2009-05-14, 06:22 AM   #1
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default Excessive Thread Bumping

Chill on the bumping of your For sale threads. This is not Nasioc. All you are doing is bumping yourself off the top of the for sale forum.

Give it a rest.
Old 2009-05-14, 06:47 AM   #2
sedonabugeye
EJ251

Car: Leggy wagon/Bugeye/megacab

sorry for wanting sell some parts.. my bad... didnt know i couldnt do that
sedonabugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 07:07 AM   #3
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Nothing wrong with wanting to sell parts.

I am not a Mod, so my opinion doesn't really count, but there are only 50-100 or so regulars here, so we have all seen them and IMHO your bumping is a bit annoying.

If you really want traffic, post them on Nasioc or I-Club and be willing to ship.

For me, a bump every couple weeks if they have not sold is OK, but doing it as often as you are on a local board is just impolite.
Old 2009-05-14, 09:08 AM   #4
08awsti
EJ18

Car: 2008 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

I am not a Mod, so my opinion doesn't really count, but there are only 50-100 or so regulars here, so we have all seen them and IMHO your bumping is a bit annoying.

If you really want traffic, post them on Nasioc or I-Club and be willing to ship.

For me, a bump every couple weeks if they have not sold is OK, but doing it as often as you are on a local board is just impolite.
so your saying he cant bump his thread when he wants because you get annoyed?

bumping is a part of any forum, small or large..
08awsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 09:11 AM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I see many bumps in this thread's future.
Old 2009-05-14, 09:20 AM   #6
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08awsti View Post
so your saying he cant bump his thread when he wants because you get annoyed?

bumping is a part of any forum, small or large..
If your thread is at the top of the page already, bumping is pointless.

Personally, I don't care if you guys bump unnecessarily, but I know when I see a thread w/ 9 bump posts in a row, it tells me the seller is desperate and willing to accept low-ball offers.
Old 2009-05-14, 10:09 AM   #7
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Sweet!

*Goes to lowball sedonabugeye on those Rotas.
Old 2009-05-14, 10:40 AM   #8
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

I noticed on some forums, you can't post twice sequentially in the same thread, it auto appends your new info to the previous post.

Probably wouldn't work for us though.

On our little board, I just object to repeated bumps with no price change or new info and little time passage. Maybe it is just me.
Old 2009-05-14, 01:25 PM   #9
SpamMan
EJ22

Car: 05 STi|04 WRX|05 Legacy GT Limited

Salty Meat For Your Mouth

Dean
I mean if he wants to sell his stuff and keep it up top for peeps to look at why not? I thought this was a forum? I know nasioc is big but dont you have a good number of people logging on here? just a question...
SpamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 02:37 PM   #10
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

It's already up top for him to look at. 3 of the top 10 threads are his. I agree with Scott, I don't care - but it tells me the person is desperate.

We're just saying, if there's not a ton of turnover in the forum (6 threads out of the 25 on the first page belong to sedonabugeye), there's no reason to bump it up multiple times a day.
Old 2009-05-14, 04:10 PM   #11
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

I agree, on a small board like this there's no need to bump your thread every day. Even after a week it will probably still be on the top half of the first page.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 04:28 PM   #12
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Usually 2-3. I started the one at the bottom of the page last month.
Old 2009-05-14, 07:30 PM   #13
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

life is short.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 10:23 PM   #14
sedonabugeye
EJ251

im not desperate at all.. and if your not a mod and your opinion doesnt matter, then why dont you keep your two cents to yourself?? and sorry i have some parts that can make a wrx even better. and your right, i do have a lot of for sale posts.. my bad for continuing to making my subaru better and better. and when i do that, guess what happens? parts come off and need to be sold. and why dont you make your board to where you cant post it back to back? i mean if this is really that big of a deal to all of you that you have to make it in to some big discussion then im obviously having people take notice of me. and guess what, the more your noticed and exposure you get, the more likely someone will say, oh shit.. he has something i need.. ask scooty.. i gave him a good deal and got him his new set of wheels asap. he is a cool dude, not on here getting "annoyed" by my bumps. hell, if you get that annoyed.. dont click on the thread.. shit.. noone makes you click on it.. just pass over it.. but by all of this attention, its working out for me.. so be all pissed and annoyed at me for bumping my stuff.. so i wont bump it anymore.. ill dean it!
Old 2009-05-14, 10:39 PM   #15
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonabugeye View Post
im not desperate at all.. and if your not a mod and your opinion doesnt matter, then why dont you keep your two cents to yourself?? and sorry i have some parts that can make a wrx even better. and your right, i do have a lot of for sale posts.. my bad for continuing to making my subaru better and better. and when i do that, guess what happens? parts come off and need to be sold. and why dont you make your board to where you cant post it back to back? i mean if this is really that big of a deal to all of you that you have to make it in to some big discussion then im obviously having people take notice of me. and guess what, the more your noticed and exposure you get, the more likely someone will say, oh shit.. he has something i need.. ask scooty.. i gave him a good deal and got him his new set of wheels asap. he is a cool dude, not on here getting "annoyed" by my bumps. hell, if you get that annoyed.. dont click on the thread.. shit.. noone makes you click on it.. just pass over it.. but by all of this attention, its working out for me.. so be all pissed and annoyed at me for bumping my stuff.. so i wont bump it anymore.. ill dean it!
Dude, I moved all this crap out of your for sale thread in hopes that you'd just let it slide.

This is not a very good example of letting something slide.

So let me put it this way: Dean was over-reacting. But he's right in the fact that bumping a thread that's literally the 1st thread in the forum is totally excessive. It's literally impossible to bump the first thread, it's already bumped. If you insist on doing it specifically to annoy another member I will close the for sale thread. Feel free to manage your ads in the classified in a reasonable manner, posting "Dean" twice a day is not reasonable, it's inflammatory.

And Dean, let the moderators do their jobs instead of constantly starting shit when someone does something that's not exactly the way it's normally done around here. You're making our jobs harder than they need to be. If you've really got a problem with something, use the report post button, not the reply button.
Old 2009-05-15, 05:27 AM   #16
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Message received. Now get off my lawn!
Old 2009-05-17, 11:03 AM   #17
Jcjentz
EJ18

Car: 05 Legacy GT 06 G35 90 Jeep Cherokee
Class: clueless

There's always somebody faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

bunch of hecklers Andy! i would do whatever I wanted and if anyone gets annoyed by that maybe they have a bit too much time on their hands.. p.s. I tell u what I WOULD NEVER hangout or associate with anyone let alone go to a meet with someone whom has control issues.. and i'm sure tho's who do are glad.... i dont like people as a rule anyways but think Andy is a good dude and is trying to help someone out with his loss being your gain.. peace out

Last edited by Jcjentz; 2009-05-17 at 11:12 AM.
Jcjentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 11:09 AM   #18
sedonabugeye
EJ251

Thanks Jon! thats kinda what i was thinking too!
Old 2009-05-17, 12:27 PM   #19
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I don't think its so much of a control issue but rather trying to keep some kind of order. It's like going to a nice restaurant and then being all loud and crazy like you're watching football at a sports bar. Again, the problem is when someone makes a small thing into something big and then others jumping in and make it even bigger. If everyone would show just a tad bit more respect for everyone else than this stuff wouldn't happen.
Old 2009-05-17, 01:39 PM   #20
Jcjentz
EJ18

Car: 05 Legacy GT 06 G35 90 Jeep Cherokee
Class: clueless

There's always somebody faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
I don't think its so much of a control issue but rather trying to keep some kind of order. It's like going to a nice restaurant and then being all loud and crazy like you're watching football at a sports bar. Again, the problem is when someone makes a small thing into something big and then others jumping in and make it even bigger. If everyone would show just a tad bit more respect for everyone else than this stuff wouldn't happen.
good analogy juice but it's more than that.. some peeps on here (mention know names) are way way too strongly opinionated so for me! I'll choose just to stay away from any meetings (not that anyone could give a shit) I'll just take what I need from the forums and leave the rest. laterz

Last edited by Jcjentz; 2009-05-17 at 01:44 PM.
Jcjentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 03:37 PM   #21
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Don't let the Hateorade ruin your appetite for the entire meal.
Old 2009-05-17, 05:08 PM   #22
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcjentz View Post
good analogy juice but it's more than that.. some peeps on here (mention know names) are way way too strongly opinionated so for me! I'll choose just to stay away from any meetings (not that anyone could give a shit) I'll just take what I need from the forums and leave the rest. laterz
It's not more than that. People like you and others decide to make it more. I agree that there has been a problem with welcoming unfamiliar faces at meets for years. That is something the club can work on. It still isn't enough of an issue to blow everyone off. Unless you make it one.
Old 2009-05-17, 08:45 PM   #23
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
It's not more than that. People like you and others decide to make it more. I agree that there has been a problem with welcoming unfamiliar faces at meets for years. That is something the club can work on. It still isn't enough of an issue to blow everyone off. Unless you make it one.
The supposed cold shoulder simply stems from us old-timers not wanting to come on strong. When everybody's standing around an open hood or just in front of one car or other, just walk over and jump in if you're new. Nobody's going to think a new person is weird or in the wrong for joining a conversation. I do understand that we have a long history and half of what we say is an inside joke, but if you come out to be part of the crowd... be part of the crowd.
Old 2009-05-17, 11:51 PM   #24
sedonabugeye
EJ251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
The supposed cold shoulder simply stems from us old-timers not wanting to come on strong. When everybody's standing around an open hood or just in front of one car or other, just walk over and jump in if you're new. Nobody's going to think a new person is weird or in the wrong for joining a conversation. I do understand that we have a long history and half of what we say is an inside joke, but if you come out to be part of the crowd... be part of the crowd.
you say that like its easy for new people to come in. ya if most of what you are saying is an inside joke, then the new people will feel uncomfortable and shy away. all the older seccs guys have their comfort level with each other, and for a new dude or chick to come in and try and jump in on a convo is not going to happen. things dont work that way. a new person feels warm and welcome, when the older members walk up to them and intoduce themselves first. thats how it should be. so there is no supposed cold shoulder, there IS one. not everyone has all the experience you guys do, or the knowledge or maybe they do and when they get ganged up on forums or real life, they will shy away and be like Jon, and the rest of us who share that point of view.
Old 2009-05-18, 08:47 AM   #25
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonabugeye View Post
you say that like its easy for new people to come in. ya if most of what you are saying is an inside joke, then the new people will feel uncomfortable and shy away. all the older seccs guys have their comfort level with each other, and for a new dude or chick to come in and try and jump in on a convo is not going to happen. things dont work that way. a new person feels warm and welcome, when the older members walk up to them and intoduce themselves first. thats how it should be. so there is no supposed cold shoulder, there IS one. not everyone has all the experience you guys do, or the knowledge or maybe they do and when they get ganged up on forums or real life, they will shy away and be like Jon, and the rest of us who share that point of view.
All I can say is... don't judge the whole club because a few of the members that are the meets lately are socially inept. It's not always, or even usually, the way you describe.