Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2004-01-14, 01:52 PM   #1
DC5Denver
n00b

Default DO NOT buy anything from JIC USA

DO NOT buy anything from JIC USA

Their customer service is unimaginably bad. If you get a bad part from them you are S.O.L. their policy is no return no mater what. You can send it back for repair or replacement and if they can't easily fix it, you are out of luck.

I want everyone to know so you won't get burned like I did. I am going to join every car forum that JIC sells products for and let the world know.

If you are interested, here it what happened:

I bought a JIC-Magic FLTA2 coilover suspension kit for my 2002 Acura RSX last June. The front left strut would not stay tight and back out every couple days. After several phone calls, e-mails, and digital photo's to Ben at JIC USA he finally agreed to send me a USED replacement locknut. Getting the replacement locknut was like pulling teeth. I had to pull the entire strut off, disassemble it and have the car re-aligned in order to replace the lock nut.

The strut would still not stay tight so I tried using Lock-Tite Blue. After that failed, Ben asked that I pull the strut off again and send it to them after the Sema trade show. I waited and called right before shipping it FedEx to expedite the process and make sure they could get right on it. Along with the parts I included a letter suggesting the problem appeared to be too much free play between the strut and the lower bracket and that thin locknut could not hold it tight.

After JIC USA received the parts and sat on it for two weeks Ben told me they had fixed it by surfacing the top of the lower bracket so the locknut would seat better. I told him that I was concerned that, that alone would not fix it and if he sent it back to me and it was still loosening up I would be furious and was going to expect a full refund and reimbursement for the three alignments, the shipping, and all the labor. He said we would talk about that later. Three weeks after shipping it to them, I got the parts back.

While installing the “repaired” left strut, I checked the right side. The locknut seemed tight by hand, but when I rocked the wheel I felt it move. I could see the strut rocking in the lower bracket. I used the spanner wrench to tighten it and the nut turned, so I kept tightening it, expecting it to stop turning. It did not stop turning, the nut stripped. Inspection of the stripped locknut revealed that only the tips of the threads were sheared off. This could only happen if either the nut was too big or the strut/damper body was too small. I called Ben with this information and he told me it is impossible to strip the locknut and refused to replace it. He did offer to sell me a replacement, however.

After driving it for a couple days I rechecked the left side, the side they fixed. Sure enough it was loose, I tightened it again, drove the car and it was loose by the next day.

After this much trouble you would think they would be willing to replace them or take them back and refund my money. Well, you would be wrong like I was. They are willing to SELL you replacement parts, but no replacements, no refunds, no returns, no reimbursement for shipping parts back to them, no help, no exceptions...NOTHING.
DC5Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 01:53 PM   #2
DC5Denver
n00b

I decided to give John Kaneda, the owner of JIC, a chance to make things right before I through off the gloves and took it to the street, just in case Ben was acting without authority. Here is what happened…

I have been calling JIC and asking to talk to the owner, John Kaneda for the last couple days. Ben has answered the phone every time, recognizes my voice and tells me that John is not in. Today after I said “I’ll call back later” Ben said, and I quote, "I talked to John and told him that you wanted to talk to him and he said you could talk to me, I don't want to talk to customers" end quote. I could not believe what I heard, so I repeated “John said he does not want to talk to customers” and Ben said “yes”.

That is the most amazing display of a lack of customer service or concern I have heard in my life.
Old 2004-01-14, 02:03 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

It's a real shame. These guys will not sell a single JIC product once another US importer starts doing business.

JIC Japan makes AWESOME products, and from my research it seems that most people have no problems with the product itself, but once you're forced to deal with Ziel (JIC-USA) you're boned.

We should find contact info for JIC Japan and let them know how bad their US reps are.
Old 2004-01-15, 11:09 AM   #4
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

It's too bad some of these vendors don't realize, but the power of the written word can greatly influence people. It's like is said in marketing - one dissatisfied customer will tell 10 of his friends.

On the flip side -- we should make sure we also remember to promote the vendors who are good to us -- Like S-Squared!
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 11:16 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

The shame is that JIC Japan makes AWESOME stuff! Their coilovers, and seats and exhausts are all supposed to be top notch. It's the "US customer support that blows.

The rumor floating around is that JIC Japan is talking with another company about making them an official importer. Hopefully we'll be able to bypass Ziel (aka JIC USA) to get these wonderful products.
Old 2004-01-15, 12:25 PM   #6
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

I don't know but at this point I wouldn't buy from JIC with there compeditors putting out stuff that is just as good but a different name :?
Old 2004-01-15, 01:13 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSTI
I don't know but at this point I wouldn't buy from JIC with there compeditors putting out stuff that is just as good but a different name :?
For the price, the closest thing you can get to the JIC FLT-A2's is the Tein Flex's, and they're not inverted (!), known to clunk more than most coilovers, and have top adjustment knobs (must pull back the seat to adjust rears). They're still great coilovers, but I think the JICs are a bit better, and cost the same.
Old 2004-01-16, 08:02 AM   #8
DC5Denver
n00b

I ordered Endless Zeal coilovers to replace my POS JIC's
http://www.endlessusa.com

I have heard great things about their service and product. We will see?
Old 2004-01-16, 08:35 AM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5Denver
I ordered Endless Zeal coilovers to replace my POS JIC's
http://www.endlessusa.com

I have heard great things about their service and product. We will see?
You realize Zeal *is* the US importer for JIC right? Chances are the support is the same guys we talk to over at JIC-USA/Zeal Motorsports, Ben and Jerry.

Hopefully I'm wrong though, they've got different addresses/phone numbers.
Old 2004-01-17, 04:55 PM   #10
DC5Denver
n00b

Ziel Motorsports is the JIC tune shop.

Endless Zeal is the USA distributor.

Don't worry, there is no chance I would deal with them again. Thank you for pointing that out just in case. Wouldn't I have been surprised.
Old 2004-01-17, 07:27 PM   #11
ZER026D
EJ251

Car: 01 is300 / 87 rx4
Class: ?

drive fast take chances

Sorry to tell you scott my coilover have no clunk at all I have 16.000 miles on them. There customer service is great there only 100$ a strut to revalve so all and all TEIN has my vote for great products. I would even go as far to say there the best coilover set for the WRX (not all cars). Inverted struts are great but you can lose more unsprung weight by getting rid of your 22 pound P1's or by getting STI A arms.
Old 2004-01-17, 08:57 PM   #12
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER026D
Sorry to tell you scott my coilover have no clunk at all I have 16.000 miles on them. There customer service is great there only 100$ a strut to revalve so all and all TEIN has my vote for great products. I would even go as far to say there the best coilover set for the WRX (not all cars). Inverted struts are great but you can lose more unsprung weight by getting rid of your 22 pound P1's or by getting STI A arms.
He don't race on P1's

er maybe he street races on them.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 09:57 PM   #13
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

I know that but for every day driving it would lose all that gain from the inverted struts.
Old 2004-01-17, 11:26 PM   #14
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

alright I see what you are sayin, since his does mostly daily drving.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 10:36 AM   #15
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

Thats right the amount of miles he drives on the Autox is nothing compared to one day of driving. I think Scott said he was getting the JIC's cause they were better on the street then the TEIN's. I am very happy with mine there all around a great coilover kit for the WRX. If I have them on all the way soft its nice and soft if I them on hard its like a rock what ells do you want.