Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2005-02-24, 04:39 AM   #1
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP
Default How far off am I here?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...88#post9030388

Can somebody help me explain better the whole deal with the "free" WRX we decided not to accept this season?
Old 2005-02-24, 07:03 AM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

No, that's pretty much the story...Are you 100% sure that is the same car? I don;t know how we can be sure of that or not...I would assume its the same, but who knows for sure.
Old 2005-02-24, 09:32 AM   #3
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

When I first read about the project WRX car, I think I was in Topeka, and I speculated 'hey, there's our "free" WRX'. But my opinion was not based on fact.

Kevin, you have the right story about why we turned it down. Subaru was requiring us to carry a huge insurance policy, we were not going to be able to use it for competition, and only certain people would be allowed to drive it (you had to be over 25 y/o, for one thing). We thought we could use it as a pace car for the 2004 Double National at Thunderhill, or for demo runs like at lunchtime at our Solo II events. But because it was going to cost our region more to insure it than we won (we won $750 I think, but it was going to be several thousand dollars to insure), we voted to turn it down. However, Dave was still trying to communicate with the SCCA National Office to see if they would help us with the cost. When we were in Topeka in September, he had a personal audience with Garrett Mudd about this; but I have not heard that anything came out of that. Oh well.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote