Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2006-11-08, 07:24 PM   #51
SFVette
n00b

Car: 00 2.5rs, Past toys 94 Camaro, 00 Vette
Class: STS

If the tires don't rub they're not big enough

I know most are tired of talking about PAX but after searching the net I found out how to calculate PAX

"There are many factors but it starts in Chicago on the "Chicago mean PAX index". On this day, the planet alignment is recorded, then the average of the daily times of high-tide on lake michigan are figured out. Take these two numbers and add them together call it the "planetary" number.

Next you go down to the local tarot reader, and have them pick a number between 1 and 100. This is a G number. Next you get a bunch of old chicken bones and throw them up in the air so they land in a circle that is (3.14 x 10) cm wide in diameter. Of the bones that fall in the circle, the amount of bones that are pointing to "true north" is your next number called "The bones number".

The 2 final formulas are:

((last year's pax) / (Chicago mean PAX number)) - (planetary number * (bones number/G number)) = Stage 1 pax

((Stage 1 pax) * (the number of cones called in corner 1 on the south course at nationals(previous year))) / 100 = final pax for next season

Its rather complicated but REALLY fair"
SFVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 08:43 PM   #52
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

oh

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-08, 09:28 PM   #53
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

What about Street Tire multiplier? Is it the ratio of the air speed velocity of an African Swallow vs. a European Swallow?
Old 2006-11-09, 12:37 PM   #54
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR
The engines don't care what altitude they are run at - it only cares what the air pressure, temperature and humidity is. Sea level at 30.15 inches baro is exactly the same as 4500 ft at 30.15inches, (Which is exactly where the Barometer sits for Reno and Oakland, Ca today!) as far as the engine is concerned. . To me, an altitude adjustment is just as necessary as a temperature and humidity adjustment
Actually the barometers are adjusted for altitude so 30.15 on the baro up here is not 30.15 on the baro in SF. if you look at weather station at mt rose vs SF they are always very very close, yet the real air pressure isn't that close.

But i agree with the rest of what you said. PAX is set and if you get to drive in 10F or 110F that's what you get. you don't get a Rain/Wind/Temp modifier so why altitude ?

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 06:43 PM   #55
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...
Question

Yeah, there is more than a 2psi (about 4in.Hg) change in ambient pressure (compared to 14.7psi ) from sea level to 4500'.

Can somebody direct me to an explanation of this assertion that turbo'd engines only lose 5% compared to NA's 20%? I don't buy it, especially if the turbo car is not specifically tuned for the higher elevation. I bet there is an advantage, but not that much. I'm open to learning something though, so...

Last edited by knucklesplitter; 2006-11-09 at 06:45 PM.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 08:49 PM   #56
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI
Actually the barometers are adjusted for altitude so 30.15 on the baro up here is not 30.15 on the baro in SF. if you look at weather station at mt rose vs SF they are always very very close, yet the real air pressure isn't that close.

But i agree with the rest of what you said. PAX is set and if you get to drive in 10F or 110F that's what you get. you don't get a Rain/Wind/Temp modifier so why altitude ?

That's good to know, I wasn't entiely sure, mostly confused actually...he
Old 2006-11-10, 08:53 AM   #57
Tahoe C5
EJ22

Car: 05 Legacy GT, 81 RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFVette
I know most are tired of talking about PAX but after searching the net I found out how to calculate PAX

"There are many factors but it starts in Chicago on the "Chicago mean PAX index". On this day, the planet alignment is recorded, then the average of the daily times of high-tide on lake michigan are figured out. Take these two numbers and add them together call it the "planetary" number.

Next you go down to the local tarot reader, and have them pick a number between 1 and 100. This is a G number. Next you get a bunch of old chicken bones and throw them up in the air so they land in a circle that is (3.14 x 10) cm wide in diameter. Of the bones that fall in the circle, the amount of bones that are pointing to "true north" is your next number called "The bones number".

The 2 final formulas are:

((last year's pax) / (Chicago mean PAX number)) - (planetary number * (bones number/G number)) = Stage 1 pax

((Stage 1 pax) * (the number of cones called in corner 1 on the south course at nationals(previous year))) / 100 = final pax for next season

Its rather complicated but REALLY fair"
Wouldn't the phase of the moon effect the tidal surge on Lake Michagen differently every year? It seems that this might be the n/a vs. turbo factor that has been discussed ? Otherwise evrything else makes perfect sense. Thanks for the concise and accurate research and explanation
Tahoe C5 is offline   Reply With Quote