Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2010-09-15, 09:21 AM   #1
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Default GrimmSpeed Heat Shield Temp. Testing

Has anyone actually seen temp testing data from afermarket turbo heat shields? I've looked everywhere and couldnt find anything. We have a couple temp probes that we used during designing of our heatshield but i was thinking about doing some more robust testing so there is some good data out there. So many people out there run no heat shield on their car and we wanted to know the difference. Your thoughts??

In the following days we will be posting up the temp numbers we have at idle (obviously at operating temp) and cruising with cruise control at 60mph. There are multiple locations we have selected and soon enough we will have the results posted!!

Stay tuned.....

So here it is, after a long day of testing yesterday we are very pleased to bring you some really exciting results! To give you a little background these tests were done on a 2002 WRX with a 2.5l block with 2.0l heads and a VF39. STI TMIC, aftermarket downpipe, and Samco Throttle Body Coupler. All of the tests were performed in one day with the air temp @ 65 F. All temps have been recorded in F. Both IAT's for pre and post readings were measured INSIDE the pipes @ the connections. All numbers recorded are true to readings and have not been modified in any way, enjoy!

Now this graph shows the IAT's INSIDE the system at the Turbo Compressor Housing Exit (PRE) to the Throttle Body Coupler (POST)

So what have we concluded, well the data shows it all! The heat shield is in fact VERY effective at blocking heat from vital parts of the engine as well as keeping the IAT's SIGNIFICANTLY lower.

Will

Last edited by GrimmSpeed; 2010-09-16 at 01:16 PM.
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 09:24 AM   #2
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Your turbo heat shield keeps the engine cooler?
Old 2010-09-15, 10:10 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Theoretically it should. Shrouding the turbo holds heat into the exhaust that would otherwise heatsoak the intake manifold, block, etc.

I've been sans turbo heat shield for a long time (ever since my cheap-o Gruppe-S shield vibrated itself into two pieces). IIRC, my intake temps went up once I started running w/o the shield. 'Course back then I was running a Perrin BigMAF. Not so sure it makes a huge difference with the KSpeed CAI... seeing some real-world numbers from GrimmSpeed would be awesome.
Old 2010-09-15, 10:18 AM   #4
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Quote:
It was meant more to say that the surrounding areas of the turbo will remain cooler due to the heat blocking of the shield.

Will
Old 2010-09-15, 10:19 AM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Well, he edited his post to remove the part about keeping the engine cooler. Regardless, the obvious main benefit of a turbo heat shield is that it keeps the TMIC from heat soaking as readily.
Old 2010-09-15, 10:27 AM   #6
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Well, he edited his post to remove the part about keeping the engine cooler. Regardless, the obvious main benefit of a turbo heat shield is that it keeps the TMIC from heat soaking as readily.
Like I said, the same thing should apply to the engine/intake/etc. as it does to the TMIC. The question is whether or not that level of heat soak is enough to affect the actual performance of the motor.

On a relatively stock motor, I bet running with the intake an extra 20F-30F hotter means nothing. But on a motor tuned up to the limit might see detonation with that much heatsoak to the intake, even with a FMIC.

But again, it all comes down to the actual numbers. How much heat does the turbo really put out with and without the heatshield? It will be interesting to see the results of their test.
Old 2010-09-15, 10:31 AM   #7
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Quote:
Yeah sorry about that, we needed to word it differently but def. not to confuse you, sorry! We have multiple locations for the probes because while it is important to keep the intercooler cool, it also helps when your IM runner stays cooler, or your BCS doesn't get nailed with heat, or your throttle body for that matter.

Will
Old 2010-09-15, 10:51 AM   #8
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Like I said, the same thing should apply to the engine/intake/etc. as it does to the TMIC. The question is whether or not that level of heat soak is enough to affect the actual performance of the motor.

On a relatively stock motor, I bet running with the intake an extra 20F-30F hotter means nothing. But on a motor tuned up to the limit might see detonation with that much heatsoak to the intake, even with a FMIC.

But again, it all comes down to the actual numbers. How much heat does the turbo really put out with and without the heatshield? It will be interesting to see the results of their test.
The problem with the stock setup, is that the ECU doesn't know your IC is heatsoaked until it hears knock, which can be too late. All it knows with regard to intake temps is what it sees coming by the MAF and what coolant temp it sees. It definitely safens up the tune as a result of high temps by those two sensors, but a heatsoaked IC is going to cause knock most any time you hit full boost, unless you've been doing it enough to train the ECU to pull timing to avoid the knock, which means it's running like crap.

Moral: A hot IC is trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Yeah sorry about that, we needed to word it differently but def. not to confuse you, sorry! We have multiple locations for the probes because while it is important to keep the intercooler cool, it also helps when your IM runner stays cooler, or your BCS doesn't get nailed with heat, or your throttle body for that matter.

Will
No worries and good points. Really looking forward to the data. I always cringe when I see people running with no heat shield, especially with a TMIC (looks at Van ).
Old 2010-09-15, 02:18 PM   #9
van
SECCS Brewmeister

Quote:
I always cringe when I see people running with no heat shield, especially with a TMIC (looks at Van ).
Psssht Heat shields are the kickstands of the engine bay, totally uncool.

I plan on getting one soon
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 02:33 PM   #10
Joshua
n00b

Can't wait to see this info! I've been looking into getting one since the previous owner of my car decided it was a good idea to take it off after replacing the downpipe.
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 03:47 PM   #11
GusGus91
EJ205

Car: 2006 WRB WRX TR, 2008 LR STI
Class: Too classy

Dont sweat the petty... Pet the sweaty.

If this fit's over my turbo I might pick one up...

...is it worth it even if im fmic'd?

Old 2010-09-15, 10:43 PM   #12
bigrobwoot
EJ251

Car: 2019 CBS WRX Premium
Class: Middle

Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars

I'm assuming the test will be against the stock heat shield also, not just no heat shield?
bigrobwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 11:16 PM   #13
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I think the engine bay temperature would be unchanged when comparing your heat shield vs. no heat shield. I think the only benefit would be to reduction of direct heat applied to the TMIC like Cody said. The aftermarket heat shield would IMO let more heat into the engine bay vs. the stock heat shield.
Old 2010-09-16, 08:28 AM   #14
bign
EJ22

Car: 05 sti - 01 GSX-R 750

To learn your limits, you must push past them

I am staying TMIC so I did a lot of heat management. On my 20g I have a heatshield (the thermotech one you make yourself) and then a turbo blanket over that. This is all connected to grimmspeed Coated and wrapped header/x-pipe/uppipe and a coated wrapped downpipe. If the heatshield shows significant improvement in IC heatsoak i'll probably throw that on too lol. I have seen the cobb heatshield and that seems mostly useless to me, especially compared to the stock one.
bign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 05:36 PM   #15
GrimmSpeed
EJ22

Results updated in OP!