Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2009-11-24, 05:32 PM   #1
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L
Default STi Spec-C(lose)

LA Preview: Subaru WRX STI Special Edition headed for U.S. showrooms — Autoblog

The 2010 WRX STI Special Edition is aimed at the driving enthusiast who is willing to trade a few amenities to gain an extra measure of handling performance over the already extraordinary WRX STI. Suspension for the new version of this high-performance machine is adopted from the Japanese domestic market WRX STI spec C model, which adds a 1-millimeter thicker rear stabilizer bar, stiffer rear sub-frame bushings plus upgraded and retuned springs. The front springs are 16-percent stiffer, while the rear shocks have been stiffened by 29-percent.

Available in early Spring, the first 125 units of the 2010 WRX STI Special Edition will be painted in exclusive Aspen White, set off by the charcoal-colored 18 x 8.5 in. 14-spoke alloy wheels from the JDM WRX STI spec C. The WRX STI Special Edition will then become a regular production model later in 2010, available in standard colors.

The WRX STI Special Edition was developed by Subaru Tecnica International, the high-performance and motorsports subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. Compared with the standard 2010 WRX STI, the WRX STI Special Edition features halogen rather than HID headlights; a single-disc CD player / 4-speaker audio system instead of the 6-CD /10-speaker system; manual air conditioning in place of automatic climate control, and body color side mirrors.

All other aspects of the WRX STI Special Edition remain as on the standard model, including the 305-horsepower / 290 lb.-ft. turbocharged/intercooled Boxer engine, 6-speed manual transmission and a high level of driver-selectable powertrain- and dynamic handling-control systems. The car's bulged fenders and rear quarter panels, rear gate-mounted spoiler and aerodynamic ground effects give the WRX STI a direct link to Subaru competition cars. The hood scoop, brake-cooling air intakes and engine heat outlets are all functional.

The Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD) version of Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, which remains exclusive to the Impreza WRX STI, offers three selectable automatic performance modes in addition to six manual center differential locking settings. The WRX STI is in addition equipped with limited-slip front and rear differentials. The Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability and traction control system features three driver-selectable positions. On all WRX STI models, the 18-in. wheels are fitted with Dunlop SP600 245/40R18 tires.

The Brembo Performance Brake System employs ventilated 4-wheel Super Sport anti-lock (ABS) disc brakes with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD). Side-curtain airbags and front seat side airbags are standard. The Incline Start Assist feature can momentarily prevent the vehicle from rolling backward when being driven away from a stop on an incline.
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 06:08 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

So uh... a stiffer rear sway, and some stiffer springs in exchange for a crappy stereo and dumbed down climate control?

Just get some coilovers for your regular STi. You'd get even better handling w/o having to give anything up. That what the "driving enthusiasts" this car is targeted for would do.
Old 2009-11-24, 07:45 PM   #3
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Apparently US-trained marketing guys are making the decisions here, as usual.
Old 2009-11-24, 08:38 PM   #4
van
SECCS Brewmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
So uh... a stiffer rear sway, and some stiffer springs in exchange for a crappy stereo and dumbed down climate control?

Just get some coilovers for your regular STi. You'd get even better handling w/o having to give anything up. That what the "driving enthusiasts" this car is targeted for would do.
Don't forget the awesome jdm spec-c badge it'll come with, it's worth something like 20hp!
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-24, 11:23 PM   #5
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

Awesome to see hill-holder coming back.

/sarcasm

Because Subaru transmissions and braking systems need even more complicated shit inside them again. I have hill-holder already. It's called an ebrake.
Old 2009-11-25, 07:09 AM   #6
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybir View Post
Awesome to see hill-holder coming back.

/sarcasm

Because Subaru transmissions and braking systems need even more complicated shit inside them again. I have hill-holder already. It's called an ebrake.
I agree it is unnecessary, but I thought it was a fairly simple all hydraulic system, not internal to the gearbox.

Clutch pressure when the brake was fully depressed kicks in some check valve on the brakes until clutch pressure drops.

I would think this would be a fairly simple module bolted to the firewall between the two master cylinders.
Old 2009-11-25, 07:19 AM   #7
szucchet
EJ22

Car: 2004 Subaru STI
Class: 04 TSM

smooth is fast

a bunch of outback and foresters have had the hill holder for years and is very simple but still unessesary in the sti
Old 2009-11-25, 11:02 AM   #8
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
I agree it is unnecessary, but I thought it was a fairly simple all hydraulic system, not internal to the gearbox.

Clutch pressure when the brake was fully depressed kicks in some check valve on the brakes until clutch pressure drops.

I would think this would be a fairly simple module bolted to the firewall between the two master cylinders.
The 1st gen hill-holders for the cable clutches were even more simplistic. I liked them.
Old 2009-11-25, 01:47 PM   #9
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I disabled mine. Well, mostly- it did lock up on me once and led to a brake fire on the freeway, but I can't hold that against FHI.