Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2007-10-05, 12:26 AM   #76
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

As long as the doors are electromagnetically sealed for the duration of the trip.
Old 2007-10-05, 08:03 AM   #77
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS View Post
You're right, it's very different from the kind of racism exhibited during the Civil Rights movement and prior. It's much more latent, and has more to do with the perception of illegals asdirt poor, trashy, uneducated and ignorant masses... which is often true, but our policies do nothing to improve those conditions, and since when is class or wealth or education supposed to entitle you to more opportunity than others in this country?
I don't consider those who have learned (or are learning) to read and speak English as uneducated or ignorant. But I'm still fighting my annoyance when I see where our government is spending money on bilingual support (press 1 for English, para en espanol presione el numero ocho).
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-05, 09:22 AM   #78
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv View Post
I don't consider those who have learned (or are learning) to read and speak English as uneducated or ignorant. But I'm still fighting my annoyance when I see where our government is spending money on bilingual support (press 1 for English, para en espanol presione el numero ocho).
I don't really have a problem with some bilingual support being made available. . . I spent three years in Korea after having learned the language and still ran in to a few spots where I was glad to find someone near who me spoke a little English. Sometimes its nice to have the option available in order to avoid mistakes, especially when it comes to some sort of official or business matter.

The only thing that gets my goat is when I see parents with 8 year-old kids that were born here and are translating for them, because they haven't bothered to learn the language at all.

I understand that it can be difficult for an adult to learn a second language, but in only a year and a half I reached a level of proficiency in Korean that allowed me to live there as a citizen, and it irks me to be unable to communicate in English with people that have been here for years.

Hell, my wife has only taken a single, free ESL class at the community college and she does really well with English, because she's put the effort in to listening, practicing, and retaining what she hears.

All that being said, it does kinda bum me out when I'm going through private and state job descriptions and see so many listings that say they prefer bilingual (English and Spanish) applicants. All the Spanish that I learned in high school was flushed when I learned Korean. I only have room in my head for two languages, and I kinda need to retain Korean.
Old 2007-10-05, 10:44 AM   #79
NevadaSTi
EJ251

Car: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once

That kind of reminds me. Some people don't have the ability to learn a new language. They just don't have what it takes mentally to do it.

The difference between stupidity and ignorance is, ignorance can be fixed.

I don't have any patience with people who are ignorant, and choose to remain ignorant.
Old 2007-10-05, 01:56 PM   #80
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I learned watching the office that you cant teach an old dog new tricks... because its illegal.