Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2004-02-02, 11:08 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Hey Art: Track Day insurance?

Hey Art, what's the deal with insurance coverage for track days? There's a rumor floating about that as long as the event is a "driving school" and not a "competition" that some ins. companies will cover an on track incident?

Any truth to this? And regardless, we're covered for liability on track, right?
Old 2004-02-02, 11:28 AM   #2
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

just get off the track before you place your claim and say it happened in the parking lot
Old 2004-02-02, 12:00 PM   #3
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

There is some truth to that. As long as you are not participating in a designated 'race event' then the insurance company will cover you.

I'll go fetch the exact wording for this exception.
Old 2004-02-02, 12:34 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSTI
just get off the track before you place your claim and say it happened in the parking lot
"Um, you say you rolled it 9 times at 100mph in the parking lot?"
Old 2004-02-02, 12:41 PM   #5
STIwish
EJ251

It could happen.... if you were a chick on her cell phone.
Old 2004-02-02, 12:44 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIwish
I still can't believe that shit happened... How are you gonna try to talk on the phone while racing a go-kart!!?!? I swear, Dodge is gonna have to just give her a Durango w/ 3 kids and a dog in the back just for "livin' the lifestyle".
Old 2004-02-02, 12:45 PM   #7
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

Quote:
becuase this drive is for fun I would really hope you dont get so crazy you flip your car 10 times but maybe hit the wall or a pole it could have happened in the parkinglot
Old 2004-02-02, 12:46 PM   #8
STIwish
EJ251

no no... not Durango dammit... H2!!! Soccer mom of the future... one of these days she is probably going to try and jump a statue!
Old 2004-02-02, 12:48 PM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Quote:
becuase this drive is for fun I would really hope you dont get so crazy you flip your car 10 times but maybe hit the wall or a pole it could have happened in the parkinglot
My only concern is that we'll get someone out on track in the novice class with something to prove that feels like since there's no passing 'cept on the straights he's gotta tail me retarded close in the corners at 10/10ths, while I'm at 6/10ths learning how to drive better, who loses control and tanks me from behind due to general stupidity.

Unless there's insurance coverage the only way I could get paid for the damage would be to take it out of his hide in the parking lot.
Old 2004-02-02, 01:05 PM   #10
ArthurS
EJ207

I am having our claims department fax me over the exact wording concerning this issue. So that may be a few hours
Old 2004-02-02, 04:25 PM   #11
ZER026D
EJ251

Car: 01 is300 / 87 rx4
Class: ?

drive fast take chances

NIce I am going to want this if we can get it.
Old 2004-02-02, 04:27 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER026D
NIce I am going to want this if we can get it.
Hopefully it's not something we have to sign up for specially... it should just be that our standard policy applies when we're on course, as long as it's not competition. 'Course that whole competiton thing means that AutoX isn't covered, even tho that seems like lower risk than a driving school day to me!
Old 2004-02-02, 04:31 PM   #13
ArthurS
EJ207

Well, so far I got this from one of our claims offices -

Per Anthony @ 2:15 PM on 2/2/2004 from Las Vegas Claims Department:

He said that it states nowhere in the policy that you cannot participate in a racing event. Per page 2 in the policy titled 'When and Where The Policy Applies', we are covered even if a sanctioned racing event or even a 'pratice' event.

As stated - "Your policy applies only during the policy period. During this time, it applies to losses to the auto, accidents and occurrences within the United States of America, its territories or possessions or Canada, or between their ports. This policy period is shown on the Policy Declarations"

He said because of this clause and the fact that racing is not mentioned anywhere else in the policy, your car would be covered on the track for all occurences because it is located in the United States as stated above.

I am double checking everything because I would hate to go on one persons thoughts. I have a call into our southwest division claims office manager to give me the final word.
Old 2004-02-02, 04:41 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Well, so far I got this from one of our claims offices -

Per Anthony @ 2:15 PM on 2/2/2004 from Las Vegas Claims Department:

He said that it states nowhere in the policy that you cannot participate in a racing event. Per page 2 in the policy titled 'When and Where The Policy Applies', we are covered even if a sanctioned racing event or even a 'pratice' event.

As stated - "Your policy applies only during the policy period. During this time, it applies to losses to the auto, accidents and occurrences within the United States of America, its territories or possessions or Canada, or between their ports. This policy period is shown on the Policy Declarations"

He said because of this clause and the fact that racing is not mentioned anywhere else in the policy, your car would be covered on the track for all occurences because it is located in the United States as stated above.

I am double checking everything because I would hate to go on one persons thoughts. I have a call into our southwest division claims office manager to give me the final word.
Wow! So far you're telling me that I'm covered even if I'm racing!? Like I could enter my car in a USTCC and get rolled by Gary sheehan at Reno-Fernely (sorry Gary ) and you guys would pay to have my car fixed or replaced?!

Sounds too good to be true!
Old 2004-02-02, 04:43 PM   #15
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

That's interesting. So in 5 years when my car is gutted, has a rollcage, slicks & a race motor in it the insurance will cover my loss when a bonehead punts me into the wall in T-6 at Seca?
Old 2004-02-02, 04:59 PM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
That's interesting. So in 5 years when my car is gutted, has a rollcage, slicks & a race motor in it the insurance will cover my loss when a bonehead punts me into the wall in T-6 at Seca?
Yep, you'll get $780, the going rate for a '95 Mustang GT with 200k miles on it in 2010.
Old 2004-02-02, 05:02 PM   #17
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Yep, you'll get $780, the going rate for a '95 Mustang GT with 200k miles on it in 2010.
That's a whole lot better than $0.
Old 2004-02-02, 05:03 PM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
That's a whole lot better than $0.
But doesn't get you much closer to having a track car ready to race anytime soon.
Old 2004-02-02, 05:04 PM   #19
ArthurS
EJ207

Well, first your car has to be street-legal. I don't know if what you are planning on doing to the 'Stang will still allow it to be street-legal. your insurance company will sure as heck not insure a non-street legal vehicle.

Scott, it does seem to good to be true. That why I am getting the final word from the Manager at the Southwest claims office. I am quoting that claims rep (Anthony), but not going to live by it yet. I will double check for sure. But so far, as long as something is not excluded, then it is included. and I cannot find a single thing about racing in the policy.
Old 2004-02-02, 05:08 PM   #20
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

Quote:
Well, first your car has to be street-legal. I don't know if what you are planning on doing to the 'Stang will still allow it to be street-legal. your insurance company will sure as heck not insure a non-street legal vehicle.

Scott, it does seem to good to be true. That why I am getting the final word from the Manager at the Southwest claims office. I am quoting that claims rep (Anthony), but not going to live by it yet. I will double check for sure. But so far, as long as something is not excluded, then it is included. and I cannot find a single thing about racing in the policy.
your looking for the wrong wording.......its not going to exclude racing but that its not a road way maintained by the government
Old 2004-02-02, 05:10 PM   #21
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
your looking for the wrong wording.......its not going to exclude racing but that its not a road way maintained by the government

I think i understand what you're saying, but with that said,
neither are parking lots and private roads, and they're covered,
Old 2004-02-02, 05:10 PM   #22
ArthurS
EJ207

Quote:
Quote:

There are many private roads not maintaned by the government. Wal-Mart parking lots, dirt roads to your ranch estate, the race track, etc etc...

And I know for sure you are covered on any private road. So, if you get slamed into in a Wal-Mart parking lot, you aren't insured? Yes you are. Thankfully.
Old 2004-02-02, 06:00 PM   #23
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

and if your sue happy you could go after Wal-Mart for not having a trafic addtendant to make sure everyone was safe in there parking lot sence it would be there liability right?
Old 2004-02-02, 06:52 PM   #24
ArthurS
EJ207

You can sue for anything nowadays. But I don't think its Wal-Marts Liabilty to make sure people drive safe as long as they have there stop signs in the right spots and stuff. But who knows?!?
Old 2004-02-02, 06:59 PM   #25
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

I'm guessing Wal-Mart has mean ass lawyers. Plus they have more money than god and could keep you in courts forever as the old saying goes...

You better hope your case is cut and dry, if you were to sue WALLSMART.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote