Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of vendors & aftermarket parts, as well as find local shops for working on your Subaru.

Old 2012-09-27, 08:21 AM   #1
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!
Default Mayhem Tuning

After a long ass time I let Cory (renosubby) replace the Clark Turner Stage 2 tune on my car - dropped the AFR at under 3500 to gain a bit of highway mileage, backed off timing, increased boost. I was going to have Matt at KSpeed redo it, but because Cory's been so pushy...

I'm sure he's got the dyno somewhere, but we went from ~230hp/270tq to ~269hp/265tq - I can't remember the numbers offhand.

Anyway, car feels wonderful, pulls well, I've seen 1.5 mpg increase even though I haven't babied it as much as I was, and power delivery is super smooth. He also adjusted my throttle position sensor to more accurately read position, and added two step launch control. Have honestly only played with that once, but we added it to keep wear down on the clutch and gain a bit more consistency for autocross launches.

So, if you need a tune, he's local, affordable, takes the time to play around, and will make it all happen while you take your pregnant wife out to pizza at BJ's.

Last edited by rory_a; 2012-09-27 at 09:28 AM.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 12:09 PM   #2
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Too bad that last "at" wasn't an "and", but awesome. Glad to hear you got a good custom tune. It really makes a difference!
Old 2012-09-27, 12:49 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Uh... Rory, didn't you just post today that your car is broken?
Old 2012-09-28, 08:49 AM   #4
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

My suspension came apart due to the unhappy marriage of KW coilovers and Ground Control camber plates, and original KW's lack of decent purchase point for top nut torquing.

Has nothing to do with the tune. Car runs great, in the garage.
Old 2012-09-28, 09:28 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
My suspension came apart due to the unhappy marriage of KW coilovers and Ground Control camber plates, and original KW's lack of decent purchase point for top nut torquing.

Has nothing to do with the tune. Car runs great, in the garage.
Weird. I thought the KW's on GC perches was kinda the go-to combo?
Old 2012-09-28, 10:04 AM   #6
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Both are great companies to work with, but I struggled to get all the necessary bushings to make front and rear plates to work. Add to that the fact I had one front rebuilt after breaking the top nut stud off, my set up was workable but not ideal. Will need to have the one camber plate replaced, and the second strut rebuilt. That, and a few new plate bushings, and I should be dialed. Hopefully.

FWIW, it's a great combo. But, GC had little experience working with the KW V3 version 1 strut bodies, and did not have necessary measurements to provide correct bushings (plate adapters). They worked until they made them fit, but it took a few back-and-forths. So, while a great combo, I don't think it's a common one.
Old 2012-09-28, 10:10 AM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Both are great companies to work with, but I struggled to get all the necessary bushings to make front and rear plates to work. Add to that the fact I had one front rebuilt after breaking the top nut stud off, my set up was workable but not ideal. Will need to have the one camber plate replaced, and the second strut rebuilt. That, and a few new plate bushings, and I should be dialed. Hopefully.

FWIW, it's a great combo. But, GC had little experience working with the KW V3 version 1 strut bodies, and did not have necessary measurements to provide correct bushings (plate adapters). They worked until they made them fit, but it took a few back-and-forths. So, while a great combo, I don't think it's a common one.
That's crazy. I was under the impression that the KW's matched all the stock strut dimensions since lots of people run them with Group-N top mounts... and GC should know all those dimensions. I guess not.

/thread hijack
Old 2012-09-28, 11:12 AM   #8
renosubby
RIP

Car: 2006 STI
Class: SM

Never dwell on the past, It fucks your future!

Quote:
After a long ass time I let Cory (renosubby) replace the Clark Turner Stage 2 tune on my car - dropped the AFR at under 3500 to gain a bit of highway mileage, backed off timing, increased boost. I was going to have Matt at KSpeed redo it, but because Cory's been so pushy...

I'm sure he's got the dyno somewhere, but we went from ~230hp/270tq to ~269hp/265tq - I can't remember the numbers offhand.

Anyway, car feels wonderful, pulls well, I've seen 1.5 mpg increase even though I haven't babied it as much as I was, and power delivery is super smooth. He also adjusted my throttle position sensor to more accurately read position, and added two step launch control. Have honestly only played with that once, but we added it to keep wear down on the clutch and gain a bit more consistency for autocross launches.

So, if you need a tune, he's local, affordable, takes the time to play around, and will make it all happen while you take your pregnant wife out to pizza at BJ's.
Thanks Rory,
before #'s were 229/269 after were 268/267

What's really impressive is the WHP increase after 5500, Before the Clark tune would drop to about 210 whp by 6200 and stay there till redline.
Where mine hits peak WHP at 5500 and stays there. aking the whp increase about 50whp from 5800 and up.
Since he auto X's this should help out A LOT.

Cory
539WTQ
10.6 At 136MPH Sacramento
renosubby is offline   Reply With Quote