Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2009-10-12, 07:32 AM   #1
left footed whooten
EJ251

Car: 06 WRX wagon CGM
Class: Stuck working weekends
Default Getting a free B13 Sentra, running. Anyone familiar? Need to source some parts.

Buddy of mine is giving me the B13 Sentra SE-R that's been in our group of friends for about 6-7 years. Belonged to a friend who had the engine replaced after a 76 station forgot to tighten the drain plug. Its a pretty sweet beater, but of course it needs some stuff.

Pretty sure it has the red-top SR20DE....what the heck is a red-top SR20DE? Is it the high-compression one?

Also needs a drivers side door, anyone happen to know anyone with any color B13 2-door drivers door? Crank or power windows, doesn't matter. I just want to be able to shut the door and window. Gonna check pick& pull, etc soon.

Needs a tranny or rebuild. It pops out of fifth, which is a common problem from what Ive read in nicoclub.com. Curious if anyone has gotten a used Japanese tranny for one of these or would recommend a rebuild instead. Has the LSD.

Otherwise its pretty solid, just needs to be gone thru. Past 3 owners were not car guys.
Old 2009-10-12, 08:41 AM   #2
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

What are you going to do with the car exactly? Just a daily beater or something more fun?

It has a redtop SR20? Are you sure it's not an SR20DET? The redtop SR20DET came in the early Silvias and Pulsars.

I can't help with parts but resources and information are abundant for those cars. Sport Compact Car had an awesome project B13 that was used for autox and track.
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 08:41 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

A red top is the 2.0L turbo motor... they make around 300hp in "stage 2" trim. It would be pretty obvious if it's got a red top in there... what with the turbo and intercooler, and the red valve cover. Unless there's a non-turbo red top out there... but as a Subaru guy, I don't know much about those motors... I though the red tops were SR20DET's.
Old 2009-10-12, 08:54 AM   #4
left footed whooten
EJ251

^^^Definitely not turboed. Pretty sure about the redtop though, but I need to get a visual on it to be sure, its in Genoa right now. There may be a non-turbo redtop out there, a 10.2:1 compression motor, but nissan forums are impossible to get info from, just a bunch of blahblahBOV spraytalk. I think this may be the high comp NA engine. Otherwise I dunno what it is besides a stock, maybe JDM, replacement motor.

Gonna keep it for a beater to commute with, pile dogs and friends and gear in for mtn trips and dirt roads where I dont take my WRX for bushy paint scratching purposes (Sierra pinstriping). Later I may upgrade it, but it should be a great DD to help slow miles piling up on my WRX and I wont have to yell at my drunken buddies to not set beers on it, throw backpacks on it, let the husky jump on it. I need something that is not as nice to not have to worry about. Plus Ive always liked the B13.
Old 2009-10-12, 09:40 AM   #5
left footed whooten
EJ251

Funny, still no responses in nicoclub.com thread, but nasioc OT thread has been full of info.