Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2005-02-25, 02:52 PM   #1
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3
Default ECUtek user tunable software

Is coming... probably not before StreetTuner comes out, but it should be good.

from: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showp...p;postcount=14

Quote:
Here you go. I got this answer from my tuner.

Dear EcuTeK Partner

In response to requests from many US tuners we have decided to bring out two new software products.

They are currently applicable for all ECU's supported in the Flash 2004 software with the electronic throttle control.

Ez-ECU and Custom ECU.

Ez-ECU is a package which allows the customer to flash program a file into his own car. The ROM file will be supplied by the dealer who supplied him with Ez-ECU and this file is "ROM keyed" so that only this customer can program it.

This means the file cannot be opened, edited, distributed or programmed into anyone else's car than the one intended by the supplying tuner.

Ez-ECU includes the very powerful and valuable DeltaDash logging package, and includes a training CD.

The advantage of this is that you can send this package to a customer and when you know exactly the specification of his car you can e-mail him a suitable file which can be programmed. The customer can then data log the car and satisfy himself and you that the tuning is correct.

If, in the future, the customer makes some changes to the car or requires a different program he can data log again and mail that to you enabling you to provide a modified file suitable for his modifications.

Ez-ECU is perfect for the customer who may be some distance away from his favourite tuning shop but wants the flexibility to make changes without having to understand the complexities of ECU mapping.

It also means that you can send out your own carefully developed ROM files in the knowledge that they are secure from copying and being
programmed into a car with the wrong specification.

Custom ECU is one major step further and allows editing of a ROM file prior to programming.

It is again supplied with DeltaDash and includes a training CD and manuals.

It also has the facility to program "ROM keyed" files which cannot be opened for editing.

This package is for the customer who would not normally visit a tuner and has the time and (hopefully) the ability to carry out their own mapping. Currently he would be considering buying a competitor product such as a stand-alone programmable ECU or a programmable piggyback system. Our solution is easier to program, faster to map and offers more accurate long term control.

We would anticipate that the tuner supplying Custom ECU would perhaps want to supply a "ROM keyed" file and an editable file which is
perhaps set up to be within 80% of your best performance ROM data.

With these two files the customer can modify, safe in the knowledge that he has something good to aim at.

Of course the file that he has generated can be saved and distributed and with the internet being what it is, can be swapped and information
exchanged across the country.

it seems ecutek will be offering customer tuner software which is great
Let the ECUTek vs. Cobb debate start....... NOW!
Old 2005-02-25, 02:57 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

What's to debate. It sounds like they've got equivalent user-tunable products in the pipeline.

I'm still planning on leaving the tuning to the guys w/ dynos. I don't want to be the 1st guy in Reno to blow up his car trying to eek out 2 more hp.
Old 2005-02-25, 03:02 PM   #3
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

No way man, I'm gonna get it and a Gtech, and I'm all set!
Old 2005-02-25, 03:11 PM   #4
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I'm still planning on leaving the tuning to the guys w/ dynos. I don't want to be the 1st guy in Reno to blow up his car trying to eek out 2 more hp.
What I would like to see is the ability to read the real time learning that the ECU has done, then apply these corrections to the base map to create a new base map that is closer to what works for your car with your fuel at your altitude with your driving style.

That way you could get a professional to tune your car, then over time as the ECU learns and smooths things out, you can create more fine tuned maps with no risk or cost. Most dyno tuning is only done at WOT. Partial throttle drivability, especially switching from closed loop to open loop and back usually isn't addressed at all.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-25, 03:12 PM   #5
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Another thread about this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720494
Old 2005-02-25, 03:18 PM   #6
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Car: 13 Sti Hatch Satin white
Class: TBSP/TT-2

Aim for the EYES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR
OUCH thats COLD but thats how we roll
qksubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-25, 03:26 PM   #7
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qksubi
Quote:
Haha....*Hate, hate, hate*

Actually, If I wasn't so lazy, I was going to say about what Mike K did, theres certain levels that could use tweeking, and it would be nice to be able to make some changes on my own.
Old 2005-02-25, 03:43 PM   #8
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by qksubi
Quote:

Actually, If I wasn't so lazy, I was going to say about what Mike K did, theres certain levels that could use tweeking, and it would be nice to be able to make some changes on my own.
Sorry sir, no tweeking is permitted without the use of a Dyno. Didn't you know that?

Old 2005-02-25, 03:45 PM   #9
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Sorry sir, no tweeking is permitted without the use of a Dyno. Didn't you know that?

That whole thread was just unpleasant, and by unpleasant I mean fekkin funny
Old 2005-02-25, 04:11 PM   #10
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Almost forgot... While were hating, can't leave out them forners...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Most dyno tuning is only done at WOT.
What else is there? 1/4 mile at a time baby!
Old 2005-02-26, 10:08 AM   #11
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
umm, why are tuners put on such high places?

I dont get it, everyone thinks they get the ultimate tune on a dyno. If the guy behind the keys doesnt know what he is doing you still get a f-uped tune.

I dont know of any shop that is going to replace something that they break. Thats why you sign a release.....
Old 2005-02-26, 10:31 AM   #12
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Its not like we're trying to say every tuner is better then everyone else, its that they have more experience. I would certainly trust Nate to give me a good tune (better then I could do, at least), but I wouldn't trust Ed at EQTuning because he's a moron.

I would venture to say most of the people on the board are smart enough to pick a good tuner over a bad tuner, and when we talk about tuners, we really only mean the good ones.
Old 2005-02-26, 10:56 AM   #13
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan

Its not like we're trying to say every tuner is better then everyone else, its that they have more experience. I would certainly trust Nate to give me a good tune (better then I could do, at least), but I wouldn't trust Ed at EQTuning because he's a moron.

I would venture to say most of the people on the board are smart enough to pick a good tuner over a bad tuner, and when we talk about tuners, we really only mean the good ones.
Who's Ed? and does he know he's a moron?
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-26, 11:03 AM   #14
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Ed is vaus on i-club. He just got some tuning software a month ago, and is already on his way to blowing up engines
Old 2005-02-27, 11:54 AM   #15
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

Quote:
Ed is vaus on i-club. He just got some tuning software a month ago, and is already on his way to blowing up engines
I guess thats what I'm getting at. Now people will get all excited about how you can tweek ECUTek and loose sight of the value of tuning from the pros.

(I dont want Nate to take it personal, I do think he's a great tuner, I'm just a hard sell) :wink:
Old 2005-02-27, 07:50 PM   #16
doubleurx
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSTI
Quote:
I guess thats what I'm getting at. Now people will get all excited about how you can tweek ECUTek and loose sight of the value of tuning from the pros.

(I dont want Nate to take it personal, I do think he's a great tuner, I'm just a hard sell) :wink:
Unless it has PERRIN embossed on it.
doubleurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-02-27, 10:05 PM   #17
MikeSTI
EJ205

I can't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleurx
Unless it has PERRIN embossed on it.
Did you say Perrin :shock: where! where!

:calms down: