Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2003-05-12, 04:11 PM   #1
Solomon
EJ18

Default SCCA class and some head work

Hello all!
Sorry I missed the last meet, my kids have been sick for like ever..ugh
Anyway tonight I install my ALK and rear swaybar so that should be fun! I will next be installing some TEIN FLEX coilovers (have not seen anything better?) and would like some points on what springs to get with them, if I have a choice? The next question is what class will I be in if do any upgrades to the heads? I will be getting on the phone with DPR racing in LA here when I am done to get some quotes. I will be working on the heads and lower end before I bolt on a turbo or anything else later this winter/spring and just wanted to find out if I will be blown out buy all the other cars in my class with just a head job.
Thanks!
Britten
P.S. I am also trying to find a quote on a EJ25TT, and if it will fit in my 00' GT
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-12, 06:11 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

I believe the ALK puts you into a street mod class, NSM, but I'm not 100% sure. Sounds like some sweet mods though...
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-14, 03:05 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Those mods are going to put you up against some really fast cars... but it sounds like you might be fast enough to be very competative.

The ALK is definately a Street Mod modification. I have to take mine off to be STX legal.
Old 2003-05-14, 03:08 PM   #4
ZER026D
EJ251

Car: 01 is300 / 87 rx4

drive fast take chances

At least you dont have to run in the same class as me.
ZER026D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-14, 03:12 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER026D
At least you dont have to run in the same class as me.
Yeah, you're getting screwed... I don't understand how a c/f hood is SM legal, but a trunk is not... WTH? Maybe this should be protested with the SCCA for a rule change?
Old 2003-05-14, 07:46 PM   #6
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Yeah, you're getting screwed... I don't understand how a c/f hood is SM legal, but a trunk is not... WTH? Maybe this should be protested with the SCCA for a rule change?
Yeah... good luck with that...
Old 2003-05-15, 08:17 AM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Quote:
I dunno, it's not an unreasonable consideration. SM is a fairly new class, so it's not like asking them to change A-Stock or anything, there's gotta be bugs in the rule to be worked out. The way I figure, they allow lightened hoods, why not trunk-lids? It's not like removing 10 lbs of weight from the back of the car is gonna make the car a class killer! Besides... what if I have a rear-engine car, I can't change my trunk-lid to help air-flow, whereas all the front engine cars can change the hood?
Old 2003-05-15, 10:49 AM   #8
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

I think I might protest this cause I am almost stock but if you do look at it I might not do that bad with my new TEIN flex coilovers. When I was stock suspention I hit 50 sec around the course and a Pro in his beefed up Corvete hit 48 on his first lap so I might not do that bad.
Old 2003-05-15, 11:00 AM   #9
dayofpain
R.I.P.

Car: 09 335xi silva

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I dunno, it's not an unreasonable consideration. SM is a fairly new class, so it's not like asking them to change A-Stock or anything, there's gotta be bugs in the rule to be worked out. The way I figure, they allow lightened hoods, why not trunk-lids? It's not like removing 10 lbs of weight from the back of the car is gonna make the car a class killer! Besides... what if I have a rear-engine car, I can't change my trunk-lid to help air-flow, whereas all the front engine cars can change the hood?
less wieght over the rear of the car = a harder to control car. hence the reason for the rule. to control a car like that you will have to be a better driver. however the carbon trunk is probably not what they had in mind.

"In order for me to get busy at maximum efficiency, i need a girl with a big 400 ton booty."
dayofpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-15, 11:32 AM   #10
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Well, here's the rule:

Quote:
The firewall, roof, doors, rear quarter panels, floor pan, trunk lid (if any) or rear hatch (if any) must remain stock. Holes may be drilled to allow the attachment of body kits, etc. This specifically allows replacement hoods, front fenders, wings, front and rear facias, side skirts, and fender flares as per Section 14.
I think the rule was designed to allow mild areo/cooling improvements and stuff for "looks", like body kits, but to avoid people converting the entire body to a fiberglass shell. A c/f trunk lid should be legal according to the "spirit" of the rule, IMO. It doesn't offer any huge weight savings, and as Phil mentioned the weight reduction is on the wrong end of the car. The c/f trunk is more of an asthetics mod, and I wouldn't protest if I got beat by someone w/ a c/f trunk lid.
Old 2003-05-15, 11:40 AM   #11
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

Well good if you wont Im dont think other people would so I am going to say somthing.
Old 2003-05-15, 12:19 PM   #12
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

I missed something - Evan, what class are you in now?

Even if the other SM or NSM drivers wouldn't protest you within Reno region, other drivers outside of your class who are going after pax points might - if you drive fast & get a good pax score.

Lots of discussion about protesting or requesting changes to class requirements in different threads on:
http://www.sccaforums.com/
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-05-15, 02:06 PM   #13
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I think Evan's carbon fiber trunk lid puts him into Street Unlimited.

Here's the competition:

[img:e6ee35f541=600]http://doink.net/gallery/Reno%20Meets/03-04-27%20SCCA%20Autocross%20at%20Stead/DSCF0058%20SU%20Porsche.JPG[/img:e6ee35f541]

Evan, you may want to do what I'm doing, and see if you can un-mod your car down to STX. I think that means finding a stock trunk lid and removing the boost controller on race days. Without those item's I think you'd have a very competative STX car. But it means work for every race weekend: swapping the trunk and taking off the MBC, and possibly throwing on some dedicated race tires.

Now then, how legal is an IC waterspray system in STX? Not very is my guess.
Old 2003-05-15, 02:36 PM   #14
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

I've never even heard of Street Unlimited.. is that a regional class or something?
Old 2003-05-15, 03:31 PM   #15
dknv
EJ207

Quote:
Here's the competition:
Oh. That competition is fierce.

======
SU is a regional class. Allows lots of modifications, but the car still has to be street-able.
Old 2003-05-16, 12:17 AM   #16
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

Well it looks like its time to call my friend who makes cars that race on TV. So in street unlimited can I do a new engine.
Old 2003-05-16, 11:09 AM   #17
dknv
EJ207

Quote:
Well it looks like its time to call my friend who makes cars that race on TV. So in street unlimited can I do a new engine.
Here's the Reno supplemental reg on SU:

Street Unlimited Class (formerly OSP)
The car must be in a street legal configuration and registerable. The car must pass the normal safety inspection for stock or street prepared cars. The engine may have any modifications that do not make it illegal for the street. Emission control equipment may be deactivated or removed. The engine may be of a different manufacture than the chassis. Suspension, chassis bracing and weight reduction are unrestricted as long as street ability is maintained. The car may be trailered to an event but must, in good faith, be capable of being driven on the street. The prevailing street prepared rules for tires will be used for the SU class, or an SU car may run in the indexed street tire class using the prevailing street tire tread wear specifications. A PAX/RTP factor will be assigned to the class using the logic that the car has the capability of being faster than ASP but due to equipment requirements to maintain street legality, it may not be as fast as cars prepared to the fullest extent in the prepared or modified classes. Just as the national PAX/RTP for all car classes are adjusted each year based upon actual results, so may the SU’s PAX/RTP be adjusted.
Old 2003-05-16, 11:30 AM   #18
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

YGBSM

Quote:
Before hauling off and spending thousands and thousands of $$$ on your car in the name of going faster, you should probably concentrate for a while on your driving first. Since you seem to be pretty focused on auto-x, run events for a few months, take driving schools, and focus on improving your driving skills. It's real easy to get caught up in the "need for speed" and have your head spinning with all the different ideas of what you want to change on your car... *but*, you'll probably find that you'll shave more off your run times by improving your driving than continually spending money on the car in the quest for more speed. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper! Just the new coil-overs you did recently will probably make it a changed car out on the auto-x course, and you'll need some time to get used to that, explore the car's new limits and feel out the new handling balance.

Just some friendly advice and my opinion of course...
Old 2003-05-16, 11:45 AM   #19
dayofpain
R.I.P.

Quote:
Quote:
Before hauling off and spending thousands and thousands of $$$ on your car in the name of going faster, you should probably concentrate for a while on your driving first. Since you seem to be pretty focused on auto-x, run events for a few months, take driving schools, and focus on improving your driving skills. It's real easy to get caught up in the "need for speed" and have your head spinning with all the different ideas of what you want to change on your car... *but*, you'll probably find that you'll shave more off your run times by improving your driving than continually spending money on the car in the quest for more speed. Plus, it's a hell of a lot cheaper! Just the new coil-overs you did recently will probably make it a changed car out on the auto-x course, and you'll need some time to get used to that, explore the car's new limits and feel out the new handling balance.

i would have to agree very much-so with that.

"In order for me to get busy at maximum efficiency, i need a girl with a big 400 ton booty."
Old 2003-05-16, 12:22 PM   #20
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

Yeh but I am hooked like crack on modding its so fun all I want to do is work on my car. When I am out of mods to do to my car I am always looking at things I need to make my car better. I am looking at some racing schools I will be going to one soon with in the next year for shure.
Old 2003-05-16, 12:44 PM   #21
dayofpain
R.I.P.

Quote:
Yeh but I am hooked like crack on modding its so fun all I want to do is work on my car. When I am out of mods to do to my car I am always looking at things I need to make my car better. I am looking at some racing schools I will be going to one soon with in the next year for shure.
be well aware, it never ends. you must stop it. just letting you know.

Old 2003-05-16, 12:47 PM   #22
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:

Like they say: "Fix the nut behind the wheel first"...

Another thing to consider, what's your primary intent for the car? For me, I'm all about autocross (and soon rallycross hopefully!!) That's why I'm staying with the stock turbo/intercooler. A bigger turbo will make a ton more power, but the lag will make me slower on most autocross courses. However, for drag racing, that big-ass turbo is a huge asset. What you decide to do on the car should be determined by your goal. Of course, just building a monster of a WRX is a respectable goal in its own right, but it will usually mean that you'll compromise your 1/4 mile times, or your autocross times, or both.

If you decide to focus on autocross, remember that the WRX already has a pretty good power and traction advantage over the rest of STX. Handling should be the focus. Those coilovers are a great start. New rims/tires will help even more. That sorta stuff will be far more useful than making more power.

But as was mentioned, seat-time is the #1 thing that will make you faster. Look at Debbie... her car's stock w/ R-compound tires, and she MOPS the floor with all of us! God help us if she decides to move up to STX, I'll just go back and hide in NSM.
Old 2003-05-16, 01:04 PM   #23
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

I am looking for top end I am already on the way to needing a new tranny so I am going to do a new engine at the same time. I will make this thing do 180-190 I could make the fastest USA FASTEST STREET IMPREZA. I know what it will take and I'm willing at least another 20.000 unless I get some badass sponser.