Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2003-12-26, 04:42 PM   #1
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain
Default I got the Christmas itch for power!!!!

ok, so i had a great christmas but i feel i still need more not presents but POWER. what should be a good power mod that wont effect the car in a negitive way sence i cant get engine managment yet.....i was thinking short ram intake because i have heard a lot of ppl saying the CAI are laggy. should i believe them because i really want the APS CAI but might end up with the short ram instead... other ideas will be under consideration but i want to try to stay within $300 for this next mod.... with that being said i was also looking at an up pipe but dont know if it is nesacery yet with out the EM being avalible to tune... please help want to have something hopefully before the convention :shock:
Old 2003-12-27, 03:13 PM   #2
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

I wouldn't spend $300 on a "cold air intake" for any car... it's not worth the money. Pretty far down on the power/dollar ratio as far as I know.
Old 2003-12-27, 03:15 PM   #3
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Likewise with the UpPipe...I would say that there are not a lot of options under $300 for powwer mods, but a Downpipe might be better,, or even a cat back..

I know, get some Vinyl decals! Lots of power
Old 2003-12-27, 04:04 PM   #4
BOO
EJ205

Car: 12+tires
Class: Spec.

without hard work, nothing grows but weeds

I think you should consult with Vishnu, Cobb, Vivid Racing.. Companies like that because they are more than likely tell you if the Intake part of modding will be valueable once the EMS mod is done.. Also a downfall to that is, Because these are companies they might tell you, Yes !! Buy it and buy it from "ME" just to be able to earn your Money..
The NASIOC people Will still to this day argue both points .. Its really a matter of Personal Opinion and personal experience...

GC,GD,GM
BOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-27, 04:30 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO
I think you should consult with Vishnu, Cobb, Vivid Racing..

<sesame street song> "one of these things is not like the other..." </sss>

Both Vishnu and Cobb will tell you not to bother with intakes. Vivid will try to sell you the most expensive intake, drop shipped from Korea.

Unless the STi is somehow greatly different, a CAI or short ram will just lean out the car, causing it to pull timing to avoid knock, resulting in lower overall power and responsiveness. We can usually get away with it up here at altitude, but you'll be really hurting the car down in Sac.

For $300, I'd go cat-back, or put it aside as half an XEDE... assuming they figure out some way to control the AVCS with the XEDE.
Old 2003-12-28, 12:19 AM   #6
MikeSTI
EJ205

Car: 2004 STi
Class: TSM

I can't complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry

For $300, I'd go cat-back, or put it aside as half an XEDE... assuming they figure out some way to control the AVCS with the XEDE.
yah i should just wait tell XEDE or something else comes out to benfit from any mods i might want to do.....maybe i should just stick with my original plan and keep doing upgrades to the OE junk.....hmmm steel break lines maybe?
Old 2003-12-28, 12:40 AM   #7
BOO
EJ205

Car: 12+tires
Class: Spec.

without hard work, nothing grows but weeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOO
I think you should consult with Vishnu, Cobb, Vivid Racing..

<sesame street song> "one of these things is not like the other..." </sss>

Both Vishnu and Cobb will tell you not to bother with intakes. Vivid will try to sell you the most expensive intake, drop shipped from Korea.

Unless the STi is somehow greatly different, a CAI or short ram will just lean out the car, causing it to pull timing to avoid knock, resulting in lower overall power and responsiveness. We can usually get away with it up here at altitude, but you'll be really hurting the car down in Sac.

Exactly my point.. will either tell you NO or try to sell you their shirt on their backs and tell you that the shirt will keep the heat from entering the Intercooler thus keeping it cooler, hence more power!!! ... Get the Point... lol

GC,GD,GM
BOO is offline   Reply With Quote