Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2005-10-13, 06:26 AM   #1
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.
Default Are axle and CV joints hard to replace?

Because after replacing my wheel bearing now the axle and cv is bad. I need to replace it soon before I have to replace the bearing again. Has anyone done this before? I don't suppose it would be too hard but I dunno.
JonnydaJibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-10-13, 07:06 AM   #2
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

To change the entire axle? Cake! After removing the wheel, on every older impreza I've seen, such as my 01 and back, there's a 14mm bolt that holds the ball joint in with a "crown" style inset. Goes into the side of the top half of the ball joint. Remove the 14, and simply pry down on the lower control arm to pop it out. You'll also have to remove the axle nut obviously, which can be a little more difficult without air tools. . . I believe you'll also have to remove the selected side sway bar link (on a front axle removal). After you have this done, and thus the axle is free from the hub end, there's a roll pin that's pressed into the axle at the tranny end. This will have to be pounded out, with a drift punch, or (as i use) a drill bit and a brass hammer (so as not to mess up your drill bit). Once the pin is out, the axle will be able to slide off of the splines of the trans output. For rear axle, replace the word trans with diff, and it should be the same procedure, but you'll prob have to remove the rear suspension trailing link to get the hub to swing far enough out of the way. Putting the axle back in, note that the hole for the roll pin is offset just a little bit. When you put the axle in, if both sides of the hole don't seem to line up, pull it back off the splines, and rotate it 180 degrees, and re-install. Should line up.

Hope this helps. If not, sorry dude! Feel free to hit me up and I can offer better help in person!
Old 2005-10-13, 07:35 AM   #3
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Hahaha wow, I tried to understand that, but it's hard when you are sitting in a cubicle and not looking under your car. AND I've never done it.
Old 2005-10-13, 09:39 AM   #4
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

Yes, it's easy. Yes, Cory could do it in his sleep.

You just replace the entire axle assembly --- the last three I've done, I've gotten a "rebuilt" one from Napa for like $65 + $~90 core (but you get that back when you bring in the old one). They've always been OK, and the process really isn't that bad at all. If I'm available when you decide to do it, I'd show up and help too.
Old 2005-10-13, 10:26 AM   #5
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Ok sweet. Thanks guys.
Old 2005-10-13, 10:56 AM   #6
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Understandable! My cubicle has a vehicle lift and a big tool box in it! Ha Ha! I know it sounds a little greek in text, but it's not too bad. Honestly, if you need, hit me up here, or send me a pm, 'cause I'd be glad to help out!
Old 2005-11-02, 07:43 AM   #7
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Master Slurper.

Cory thanks for the help, even tho now there is yet another problem with my car. How was that pizza tho right? So good.