Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2010-05-15, 04:40 PM   #1
Highdesertsuby
EJ22

Car: 1997 Subaru Impreza L
Class: n/a

This is going to take crackerjack timing...
Default EJ25D?

I tried searching for info, even on other Suby sites, but can't find anything conclusive...does anyone know how to visually identify a 96 EJ25D (the lower power version)? I'm still looking for a 2.5 for my Impreza, but don't want to end up with the 96 engine. Found a couple of people on Craigslist with DOHC 2.5's for sale but they can't tell me exactly what year it was from. I understand that the 96 motor had some piston and valvetrain differences and that it had lower power numbers than any other EJ25's out there. Any ideas?
Highdesertsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-15, 09:35 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

I think externally, all the DOHC 2.5s appear identical. Pretty sure they all use a big fat EGR solenoid on the driver's side and the same general setup for the coilpack and fueling and whatnot. Pretty much the only way to know for sure is to have a legible part number on the timing belt cover or to know exactly what vehicle it came from.
Old 2010-05-21, 05:48 PM   #3
Highdesertsuby
EJ22

Car: 1997 Subaru Impreza L
Class: n/a

This is going to take crackerjack timing...

Well I looked around on the internet for a few days, and found some info that seems to hold up based on photos of actual engines...the 96 EJ25 apparently had a different valve/rocker arm setup that required a slightly different valve cover, and it had something like "quad cam" printed on the cover...the 97 and later versions had plain covers. Anyone on here have a 96 Legacy that can verify this?
Highdesertsuby is offline   Reply With Quote