Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2008-07-16, 01:25 PM   #401
Double Phister
EJ22

Car: 2005 WRX STi

"I'm sideways and in control... I look good."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I noticed that the analog out 1 simulates a narrowband... I wasn't going to bother to wire it up to the ECU... but that may be an option if the car drives oddly. However, changes are with the limited use I'm going to be getting on the stock ECU, ever if things are "off" it's probably not an issue anyway.
I was one of the initial complainers about the 'problem'. I think wolfplayer noticed too. It was just weird coming to a stop and watching the AFR sit at 13.8 while idling for about 15-30 seconds then it would pull back to about 14.4.

With the sensor simulated I get 14.7 within a few seconds and it stays there or at least tries too.

Really not a big deal. Most of it was the uphill battle of everyone saying the rear O2 had absolutely no influence on trim.

Mostly I wanted you to know that the mounting location of the controller isn't a big deal.
Old 2008-08-01, 01:02 PM   #402
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

OMFG. It's registered and totally street legal.

Well, not "totally"... I guess if I get pulled over, they might say something about the lack of DOT approved seat belts, missing airbags, and bald tires. But at far as the DMV is concerned, this bitch is driveable!

BTW: the fellas over at Nevada Auto Diagnosis didn't even blink at the roll cage and race shit. Plugged in the OBD-II scanner and printed my registration straight away. I won't mention how much registration cost due to the late fees though.
Old 2008-08-01, 01:10 PM   #403
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
OMFG. It's registered and totally street legal.

Well, not "totally"... I guess if I get pulled over, they might say something about the lack of DOT approved seat belts, missing airbags, and bald tires. But at far as the DMV is concerned, this bitch is driveable!

BTW: the fellas over at Nevada Auto Diagnosis didn't even blink at the roll cage and race shit. Plugged in the OBD-II scanner and printed my registration straight away. I won't mention how much registration cost due to the late fees though.
Welcome to Street Unlimited... Your competitor from down under awaits your participation.
Old 2008-08-01, 01:15 PM   #404
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Welcome to Street Unlimited... Your competitor from down under awaits your participation.
I'm still 960 miles away from being broken-in, and it'll still need a re-tune on the Hydra.

Plus, I'm refusing to run in any class but RNP (I guess it'll be RTSU technically) until Reno SCCA gets its panties unbunched, which I realize may be "never".
Old 2008-08-01, 02:31 PM   #405
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Have you considered seeing if you can get a decent tune with the stock ECU? I know the Hydra has a boatload of features, but does the stocker offer any safety over the Hydra?

Oh yeah, you have STI heads now and the '02 ECU doesn't know about AVCS.... That is the primary reason you switched, isn't it?

It is probably worth a bit more effort to get a slightly more usable tune that includes open loop on the stocker anyway for smog season and such. just a thought. At least log your closed loop stuff and get the intake map worked out. I don't know if that map translates to the Hydra, but getting a good intake map is pretty critical IMHO.
Old 2008-08-01, 03:57 PM   #406
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Have you considered seeing if you can get a decent tune with the stock ECU? I know the Hydra has a boatload of features, but does the stocker offer any safety over the Hydra?

Oh yeah, you have STI heads now and the '02 ECU doesn't know about AVCS.... That is the primary reason you switched, isn't it?

It is probably worth a bit more effort to get a slightly more usable tune that includes open loop on the stocker anyway for smog season and such. just a thought. At least log your closed loop stuff and get the intake map worked out. I don't know if that map translates to the Hydra, but getting a good intake map is pretty critical IMHO.
There are a few reasons for using the Hydra:

- AVCS programability
- Closed Loop based on the wideband instead of the narrowband
- Much simpler boost control (tuning boost control on the stock ECU is the most difficult task)
- MAP based tuning (the MAF sensor is used only for intake temp)
- *much* better tuning interface (even if it's kinda crappy, at least it's live tuning and better visually than the open source stuff)

Safety-wise, the Hydra has knock detection and alternative "safe" maps that it will switch to if there's a problem. Plus it's got "auto-tune" which is similar to the stock ecu's long-term learning (and it works for the open loop maps too IIRC) so it can react to bad gas an the like, as long as you leave the auto-tune feature turned on (I haven't been using it because you need a WB which I just got the week before the motor broke).

Since working with RomRaider is such a tedious process, I'm just going to go right back to the Hydra. All I need out of the stock ECU is getting past smog once a year... and I'm going to look into registering the car for use at the track which is outside Washoe County so hopefully today was the last time I'll need to smog that car.