Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2008-02-02, 11:34 PM   #151
Double Phister
EJ22

Car: 2005 WRX STi

"I'm sideways and in control... I look good."

Reminds me that I just saw some threads about the 2008 STi 11MM oil pump.
Old 2008-02-03, 06:43 AM   #152
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

How bought s'more pics of the oil pan. Looks like a mod'd Subie pan?
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 10:06 AM   #153
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklesplitter View Post
How bought s'more pics of the oil pan. Looks like a mod'd Subie pan?
It's basically a normal STi pan with a big ol' box added to it. The pick up is extended about .5" to get down in there. I'll get some better pictures of it and the cosworth baffle when I pull it off to redo the gasket.
Old 2008-02-03, 04:27 PM   #154
Road_Kill
EJ18

Car: Boost fed 91 Toyota MR2
Class: SM2

Never2Fast

Yes, just the RTV, and no cork gasket. They're awful...

Also, did you get a "Fel-pro" or other company equivalent Engine Kit?
Under steer is when you hit the wall with the front of you car..... Over steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car..... Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall...... Torque is how far you take the wall with you!
Road_Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-03, 05:00 PM   #155
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Kill View Post
Yes, just the RTV, and no cork gasket. They're awful...

Also, did you get a "Fel-pro" or other company equivalent Engine Kit?
One of those... it's just the left over bits from whatever kit AIMS bought for the shortblock work.
Old 2008-02-03, 05:08 PM   #156
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

More pics of the oil pan, plus the cosworth oil baffle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	4735  

Name:	IMG_0876.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	4736  

Name:	IMG_0881.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	4737  

Name:	IMG_0884.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	4738  

Old 2008-02-03, 09:02 PM   #157
Double Phister
EJ22

Does it look like the rubber flaps will hold their position over time or will they just sag in the hot oil?
Old 2008-02-03, 09:10 PM   #158
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3 View Post
Does it look like the rubber flaps will hold their position over time or will they just sag in the hot oil?
Not sure it matters... as long as they still flap shut when the oil in the pan sloshes upwards, right?
Old 2008-02-03, 09:16 PM   #159
Double Phister
EJ22

I guess so. it's not supposed to be leak proof just stop the bulk of the oil from hitting the movey bits.
Would a stock undertray still clear the pan?
Old 2008-02-03, 09:21 PM   #160
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4ND0M_AX3 View Post
I guess so. it's not supposed to be leak proof just stop the bulk of the oil from hitting the movey bits.
Would a stock undertray still clear the pan?
That's the idea... in fact with oil coming down from the pistons, I would think the flaps would be hanging down all the time anyway letting oil return to the pan.

This baffle replaces the stock part... they occupy the same space between the motor and the pan.
Old 2008-02-03, 10:17 PM   #161
Road_Kill
EJ18

Never2Fast

DUDE!!!!! AIMS hacked up..... I mean did your engine work?!?!?!?!? I wouldn't trust them with a freakin lawnmower engine!!!!! I would strongly recoment NOT using any seals other than the OEM ones!!!! I guarantee you they WILL leak ALOT!!!! Trust me man.
Under steer is when you hit the wall with the front of you car..... Over steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car..... Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall...... Torque is how far you take the wall with you!
Old 2008-02-03, 10:56 PM   #162
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
DUDE!!!!! AIMS hacked up..... I mean did your engine work?!?!?!?!? I wouldn't trust them with a freakin lawnmower engine!!!!! I would strongly recoment NOT using any seals other than the OEM ones!!!! I guarantee you they WILL leak ALOT!!!! Trust me man.
That's odd, the other folks that have had subi motors built there have been fine. AIMS honed the cylinders, replaced the piston rings, polished the crank, and assembled the shortblock. All the rest of the work is my own to screw up.

And as far as seals, I doubt the a rubber o-ring from one kit is much different from the ones Subaru uses. I pulled the oil pan today and ditched the cork gasket and went w/ strait permatex, so that's been cleared up. What else is there to be worried about on my build so far?
Old 2008-02-04, 10:33 AM   #163
Road_Kill
EJ18

Never2Fast

I would double check the installation of the piston rings, that's where they screwed my engine, they put the scraper ring on top. As far as the seals, oem cam& crank seals just seam to work better, the rest should be ok... I has some aftermarket seals in my engine, its still ok. But that is just my .02
Old 2008-02-04, 01:40 PM   #164
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
I would double check the installation of the piston rings, that's where they screwed my engine, they put the scraper ring on top. As far as the seals, oem cam& crank seals just seam to work better, the rest should be ok... I has some aftermarket seals in my engine, its still ok. But that is just my .02
The crank seals look identical to the OEM ones... the cam seals I'm using are in fact OEM seals, since I'm just reusing the ones that were in there (they had <1000 miles on 'em).

If the piston rings are screwed up, well they'll just have to work something out with me on the repair. I'm not pulling the pistons out to check 'em. I would hope that when you source some JE rings for JE pistons, it's hard to get them installed wrong.

Plus, there's only one guy over there (Robert) doing the Subaru motors, and he seems like he's on top of his game IMO... I don't think they pass along Subaru work like that to their rookies that might make basic errors like getting the ring order wrong.

Either way, we'll find out soon enough how this motor runs. I'm far more worried about my own assembly mistakes than AIMS.
Old 2008-02-15, 11:39 PM   #165
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Well the motor reassembly was really coming along good w/o any major issues 'till now.

Cory might remember on one of the previous times we had the timing belt off that back when the car was down at S-Squared one of the idler pulleys was overtightened and stripped the threading in the block. They had gouped a bunch of thread locker on it and called it fixed. So when Cory and I took it apart a while back, we found that we had to go to a longer bolt in order to get some clean threads and get the car back together.

Well, since then I think I've had that idler off the car at least 3 times, and this time putting it back on, the threads dodn't hold out. I tried to heal-a-coil it, but no such luck, plus I'm not sure I'm all that keen on using that crap on the timing gear. So I was forced to drill and tap the hole out to 12 mm from 10 mm. Drilling and tapping an aluminum block is a cinch... but attempting to hole out the pulley itself is *impossible*, The first issue is just clamping the damn thing so it doesn't spin while you put the drill to it... but even harder is putting a bit in there that can cut the hardened steel cleanly. It's simply not happening w/ the tools I've got.

So, I need to either find a new ball bearing idler pulley that wil fit(60mm diameter, 35mm width, 12mm ID on the bolt hole), or find a machine shop that can drill the OEM one out for me. I guess I'm back to AIMS on Monday?

Second... I finally got to reassembling the steering rack I got from RevLabs. I need to install all the plumbing and tierods from my old rack on the new one. Well, the plumbing was easy, but it turns out the damn rack they sent me must be and STi rack or something 'cause the diameter of my tierod threading is smaller than the holes in the rack! So, now I need to confirm the car that this rack came off (are the STi racks larger than the WRX ones?) and order up a set of tierods for it. When you include the new boots and the rod ends I already bought (as part of the whiteline roll center kit) there's only going to be the 4 fluid lines remaining from my original rack!
Old 2008-02-16, 11:08 AM   #166
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I had a better idea this morning... does anyone make a threaded insert that's 12x1.25mm OD with an 8x1.25mm ID (I think that's the size of the OEM bolt)?

I wonder if R&E Fasteners has anything like that. Or better yet, a store that's open today so I can pick it up at lunch.
Old 2008-02-16, 12:37 PM   #167
knucklesplitter
EJ205

If you can't find it locally - mcmaster.com part #97084A240 is M12 x M8 insert.
Old 2008-02-16, 01:47 PM   #168
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
If you can't find it locally - mcmaster.com part #97084A240 is M12 x M8 insert.
That's got the wrong thread pitch on the M12 OD... I'm tapped at 12x1.25mm (same as Subaru lug nuts, which is why I have that tap and die size).

It looks like they've got what I need as well, but it's $40 for the "kit" that includes the locking tab tool and 6 inserts. I wonder if I really need their special tool.

But I'm not 100% sure the ID is an M8. It could be an M10, in which case I'll need the larger M14 OD, which means I'll need another bit and tap to open up the hole even more!
Old 2008-02-16, 02:55 PM   #169
Road_Kill
EJ18

Never2Fast

I would try to see if you could get a time-sert kit from R&E.
Old 2008-02-16, 05:02 PM   #170
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
That's got the wrong thread pitch on the M12 OD... I'm tapped at 12x1.25mm (same as Subaru lug nuts, which is why I have that tap and die size).

It looks like they've got what I need as well, but it's $40 for the "kit" that includes the locking tab tool and 6 inserts. I wonder if I really need their special tool.

But I'm not 100% sure the ID is an M8. It could be an M10, in which case I'll need the larger M14 OD, which means I'll need another bit and tap to open up the hole even more!
Ewww. M12x1.25 is a rare fine thread. Rare besides lugnuts I guess. M12x1.75 is "standard".

You should measure the hole size with that fancy Harbor Freight digital caliper to be sure what you have (M8 or M10).

Last edited by knucklesplitter; 2008-02-16 at 05:12 PM.
Old 2008-02-16, 05:48 PM   #171
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Ewww. M12x1.25 is a rare fine thread. Rare besides lugnuts I guess. M12x1.75 is "standard".

You should measure the hole size with that fancy Harbor Freight digital caliper to be sure what you have (M8 or M10).
The hole in the pulley is 10mm. But I'm not sure if that's what the original bolt was... I think it was smaller than the hole. If I'm going to have to sleeve the threads, I might as well go back to the original sized bolt.

Course, if I do need an M10, then I'll likely have to bore out the hole bigger for the sleeve anyway, meaning I can tap it for M14xWhatever, or use a press-in insert instead of a threaded one.
Old 2008-02-16, 05:58 PM   #172
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
The hole in the pulley is 10mm. But I'm not sure if that's what the original bolt was... I think it was smaller than the hole. If I'm going to have to sleeve the threads, I might as well go back to the original sized bolt.

Course, if I do need an M10, then I'll likely have to bore out the hole bigger for the sleeve anyway, meaning I can tap it for M14xWhatever, or use a press-in insert instead of a threaded one.
I'll look at the pulley and the hole tomorrow when I come over. Maybe I can figure a way to get that pulley hole opened up to 12+mm. I might have a carbide 1/2" drill bit (12.7mm).
Old 2008-02-17, 09:28 AM   #173
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

If nothing else works out, I've got a set of bad-mo-fo carbide drill bits, a huge drill, and a vice. And if all of those things manage to fuck up your pulley, I've got a spare pulley too!
Old 2008-02-19, 10:59 AM   #174
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

So I worked on the motor all day yesterday.

Got that thread repaired with a Keensert from R&E. Got the propper inner-tierods for the steering rack (turns out early WRXs have different sized threads from newer WRXs).

Then I went as far as the timing belt & covers, intake manifold, oil breather plumbing, turbo inlet tube, wiring harness, etc. All the way up to bolting on the headers. That's when I found out the Gruppe-S headers I've got and the oil pan I put on both want to live in the same place.

The corner of that oil pan just barely interferes with the driver's side headers. I could probably just take a hammer to the headers and get the clearance I need, but I think the correct solution is to cut the corner off the oil pan and weld a plate over it. It's that or buy new headers, which I'm not doing.

So, now I need a fabricator. I can use my cutoff wheel to cut the pan myself, I just need someone to weld a square plate over the new angle. Then I can get the headers and uppipe on, then the turbo, and the motor will pretty much be ready to go back in the car.
Old 2008-02-19, 11:02 AM   #175
GST Mike
EJ22

Car: Zee L

Load, Efficiency, MAP etc etc etc

Do yourself a favor and ditch those headers for stock ones. Port them out and coat them if you like but if you don't run stock ones you'll crack those headers I gaurentee it!

Mike <-- Broken nearly every header on the market and now only runs stockers on the race cars.
GST Mike is offline   Reply With Quote