Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2003-03-19, 09:01 PM   #1
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod
Default New wheels: but what tires?

I think I'm going to go with the Bronze Rota: Attack's 17x7.5 on my MBP sedan, for the money you can't beat this company, sperry has the sub-zeros and he likes them I think, I was gonna do the black on black thing but looking at all the pictures online it's been done to death on WRX's, I mean every MBP has black wheels or black with machine lip, I at least want to stand out a little, I think the Bronze will look kinda GTish, Now I have to figure out what tires, I like the reviews of Falkens, I have had the Kumho 712 on a different car and they seemed to be a nice tire but wore tread off quickly, maybe it was my driving habits. I think a 225 45 might snug in nicely after I Eibach my suspension this summer.

any thoughts?
Feel free to totally disagree with me maybe the attacks in bronze will look lame. Or even worse, really lame.

Of course all this changes when I win the lottery, I can get those Advans I've been eyeing.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-19, 11:20 PM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Bronze on Black is awesome...I think that is the way to go. My favorite combo is anthracite on black, but Bronze on Black is a great look. As far as tires, I too will be in the market for some new ones by the end of summer, I run Toyo Proxes FZ4, which are allseason, but hi speed rated. I don't think I will by them again, so I'm no real help on tire suggestions.
MattR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-20, 08:58 AM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Hey, no fair getting attacks!! I was gonna get some for racing on, if I can ever save up the money for 'em...

Actually, the bronze attacks would look really good on a MBP car!! I don't think there's very many black WRXs on bronze rims, and like Matt says, it looks really sweet.

You already mentioned the Kuhmo 712s. I've had a set on my SubZeros for about 15k miles now, and the wear's not too bad. Esp. considering I've got an autocross on them! For the price, I think they're a really good tire.... best bang for the buck IMO. Austin's (LabMonkey) got a set on his Mustang too.

Check Tirerack for tire reviews... there's usually a ton of decent reviews by people that drive like us (too fast). Plus the tire rating guide there seems pretty accurate.
Old 2003-03-20, 09:24 AM   #4
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

What are you going to do with the stock wheels, keep them? Use them for winter tires? Do you want the 17's to be versatile, so you can use them daily as well as for autox? (If the latter, I've heard great things about the Falken Azenis.)

Some questions I went thru last year to get to a decision included -
whether I'd have an extra set of rims for winter/snow, or for driving events (autox etc.), and if so, which set, the stock ones, or a new set?

Did you already check out tirerack.com/shop for wheels? (In there, you can click on wheel description to get an on-screen view of what your vehicle including your vehicle color, would look like with that wheel. I didn't see any bronze, though, but might be worth a look.)
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-20, 05:20 PM   #5
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

I'm keeping my stockers for winter mount. Whew I like the azenis, I just don't know if I can rationalize, buying tires more expensive than my wheels, but hey the tire is what touches the road. I might just splurge and get some expensive tires. Hey sperry where do get your Rota's ...machiii.net?

-tyson
see yah at summit at 11

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-03-20, 05:29 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I got my SubZeros from Revolutions Motorsports. They were one of the 1st Rota vendors, and have good prices on rims. In fact they do rim/tire combos for all the popular tires... mounted, balanced, w/ lugs, to your door for around $1000.

http://www.revolutionsmotorsports.com/

Accroding to the site: 17" Rota Attacks (Bronze) w/ Azenis shipped to Reno: $1084.23

The 712's are $1001.15, so you could save a little there.

You might want to check our Revolutions Motorsports on NASIOC (they're vendors there) and see if they can cut you a NASIOC deal. Also, sometimes the run discounts to clear out the warehouse.
Old 2003-03-20, 05:32 PM   #7
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

There are some good deals on ROTA's online.

www.subydude.com
www.oakos.com

Suby_dude is having a special on some of them, but you have to email or call him to find out which ones. I thought there were a set of 17" bronze something-or-others for 475.0$ shipped. But you'll have to ask him.
Old 2003-03-20, 05:33 PM   #8
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Yeah, Suby-Dude's another good vendor... but his inventory's more limited... I'm not sure he carries the Attacks.
Old 2003-03-20, 05:35 PM   #9
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

He does, but it seems the only ones he has now are the white ones.

He can always order them.