Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2005-12-10, 11:07 PM   #1
DARKSTI
EJ22

Car: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

It's not that I'm lazy, It's that I don't care.
Default This Anybody?

I saw 4 WRX's tonight while i was out for a drive: All silver

1.WRX with New Era on the side on Virgina
2.WRX Sedan w/exhaust and ski rack get on I80 @ N. Mcarran
3.WRX (maybe same as above) by Mcarran and Mayberry
4.STi ('04-'05) w/exhaust...it was playing around with a lowered a silver 5.0 Mustang and a 3000 Gt i belive.

Last edited by DARKSTI; 2005-12-10 at 11:21 PM.
DARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-10, 11:10 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

#1 is definitely not on the board, and hopefully neither is #4. 2 and 3... gonna have to be more specific than "exhaust and ski rack" around these parts, although I can't think of any silver bugeyes with racks at the moment.
Old 2005-12-10, 11:23 PM   #3
DARKSTI
EJ22

Well except for the STI, they were all sedans..and the one at Mayberry had rims. Thats about as much as i remeber.

I also saw a '04-'05 White STi down on Mcarran just before you go up the big hill. It had exhaust and a banner on the windshield.
Old 2005-12-11, 10:19 AM   #4
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSTI
Well except for the STI, they were all sedans..
So you're saying the STI wasn't a sedan???
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 11:59 AM   #5
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by khail19
So you're saying the STI wasn't a sedan???
LMAO..my bad..it was.thats what being tired can do to you.
Old 2005-12-11, 03:05 PM   #6
sp00ln
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
and hopefully neither is #4.
Tisk tisk tisk, ban anyone to hell who has a little fun with a sports car on a public road!

Amen Savior! Amen!
Old 2005-12-11, 03:07 PM   #7
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln
Tisk tisk tisk, ban anyone to hell who has a little fun with a sports car on a public road!

Amen Savior! Amen!
then i wont say what happened between me and a Porsche Carrea 4 vert on Mount Rose highway
Old 2005-12-11, 04:11 PM   #8
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ln

Amen Savior! Amen!
If you'd go to a race track once in a while, you'd realize how stupid jerking off on the streets really is.
Old 2005-12-11, 04:33 PM   #9
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nKoan
If you'd go to a race track once in a while, you'd realize how stupid jerking off on the streets really is.
Yea..unless youre like me who cant afford the tires,brake pads etc. I actually stopped street racing a while ago...ive had people try to get me to race, like the silver STi, but i never do it, the only thing close is from a stoplight to 60
Old 2005-12-11, 05:07 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Yea..unless youre like me who cant afford the tires,brake pads etc. I actually stopped street racing a while ago...ive had people try to get me to race, like the silver STi, but i never do it, the only thing close is from a stoplight to 60
Explain to me how racing on the street saves on tires/pads/etc? You're still flogging the car, no?

Also explain to me how hitting up the local strip is hard on brakes to begin with... if a car can stop from 300mph at the strip in the alloted run-off, I'm pretty sure you can woah down from 100 or so w/o destroying your brakes.

Hell, if you want to "save" the car, how about not racing in a straight line to begin with... drag racing is by far the most punishment you can put on the expensive parts of a car (engine, transmission) per mile!
Old 2005-12-11, 05:11 PM   #11
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

I wonder if he has that impression, given that almost everytime we talk about track events, people are asking about what kind of brake pads, changing brake fluid, how much rubber is left, etc.?

Track doesn't have to cost an arm & a leg. And, its alot more fun than beating someone off the line, and you're likely to learn something new too.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 05:24 PM   #12
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Explain to me how racing on the street saves on tires/pads/etc? You're still flogging the car, no?

Also explain to me how hitting up the local strip is hard on brakes to begin with... if a car can stop from 300mph at the strip in the alloted run-off, I'm pretty sure you can woah down from 100 or so w/o destroying your brakes.

Hell, if you want to "save" the car, how about not racing in a straight line to begin with... drag racing is by far the most punishment you can put on the expensive parts of a car (engine, transmission) per mile!
Street/Drag Racing...your only going straight...so you dont put as much wear on the tires as you would be going fast and turning/braking.
Brakes, you are going from high speeds to 20mph maybe less on a track...on the street you can usually just coast and/or downshift.
Yes youre still flogging the car..but its not around a bunch of curves..dont get me wrong...i WANT to road race,but you have to get a license and like i said..tires,pads etc.
Street Racing/Draging on track you dont need a thing until i belive sub 13's.
To clarify...i wasnt saying that drag racing at the track is expensive..om saying road racing is. The main reasons i dont go to the track are:
1.Far away, i could understand going to Sparks/Carson City for a DEDICATED drag track...but if its mainly a road course that you have to have a license to use its not really worth it.
2.There isnt really many chances to go..its mainly road course stuff
3.You have to have saftey checks...which i AGREE with, but for the few times i hit 100+..i dont want to add a roll cage/racing seats.

FYI: I prefer road racing to drag racing...like i said i stopped street racing as much as i can. But if i find myslelf on a wide open road with a Mustang/Camaro/Porsche that wants to go and isnt acting like a idiot..ill go..but no faster than 100. I am saving to get a 5.0 Mustang to use as a track car...but its not gonna happen for at least 4-5 years.
Old 2005-12-11, 05:27 PM   #13
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
I wonder if he has that impression, given that almost everytime we talk about track events, people are asking about what kind of brake pads, changing brake fluid, how much rubber is left, etc.?

Track doesn't have to cost an arm & a leg. And, its alot more fun than beating someone off the line, and you're likely to learn something new too.
That is part of it...plus i talked to a few of the nice people at RFR..but even they said..i would need brake fluid..and if really wanted to do it, a few other things. I wasnt prepared to spend that much money to have to get a license to just on to the track when i can go to Mount Rose,Virginia City, etc and have fun in the curves...not as fast as on a track mind you..but enough to have fun without harm to myself and others.
Old 2005-12-11, 05:38 PM   #14
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
I am saving to get a 5.0 Mustang to use as a track car...but its not gonna happen for at least 4-5 years.
If you want a road course track car that handles well, a 5.0 Mustang is not the car to buy.
Old 2005-12-11, 05:42 PM   #15
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
If you want a road course track car that handles well, a 5.0 Mustang is not the car to buy.
*Puts Flame Suit On*
Yea it is...there are a few online and in magazines who beat BMW's/Porsches/Cobra R's/Vettes. You can find them cheap and use the money to put in a suspension. The engine doesnt need much work compared to drag racing since you have limits on power in road racing.
Old 2005-12-11, 05:54 PM   #16
Evo Mike
EJ251

this is funny.. always turns into this..
Old 2005-12-11, 05:55 PM   #17
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Street/Drag Racing...your only going straight...so you dont put as much wear on the tires as you would be going fast and turning/braking.
Brakes, you are going from high speeds to 20mph maybe less on a track...on the street you can usually just coast and/or downshift.
Yes youre still flogging the car..but its not around a bunch of curves..dont get me wrong...i WANT to road race,but you have to get a license and like i said..tires,pads etc.
Street Racing/Draging on track you dont need a thing until i belive sub 13's.
To clarify...i wasnt saying that drag racing at the track is expensive..om saying road racing is. The main reasons i dont go to the track are:
1.Far away, i could understand going to Sparks/Carson City for a DEDICATED drag track...but if its mainly a road course that you have to have a license to use its not really worth it.
2.There isnt really many chances to go..its mainly road course stuff
3.You have to have saftey checks...which i AGREE with, but for the few times i hit 100+..i dont want to add a roll cage/racing seats.

FYI: I prefer road racing to drag racing...like i said i stopped street racing as much as i can. But if i find myslelf on a wide open road with a Mustang/Camaro/Porsche that wants to go and isnt acting like a idiot..ill go..but no faster than 100. I am saving to get a 5.0 Mustang to use as a track car...but its not gonna happen for at least 4-5 years.
My initial comments were to compare drag racing on the street vs. drag racing at the track. You said you'd rather run 0-60 on the street because taking it to the track is costs too much due to wear on the tires and brakes...

However, if you want to talk road race... I've driven what I estimate to be at least 1000 miles at Reno-Fernley. Sure it eats tires, brake pads, rotors, fluid, gas, maybe even a wheel bearing or two... but all those cost a hell of a lot less than oh, say the 5 years of jail time for crossing over the double yellow on Geiger and killing a family of four in their mini-van while racing some Porsche down the hill. Extreme example? Sure. But I can guarentee you won't kill any innocent bystanders out at Reno-Fernely... something you can't guarentee me won't happen on the street.

And to dispel some of the mis-information:

You don't need a "race license" or anything to drive at the track. All you need to do it drive with the school out there, or with a club that's putting on a track day. You only need a license for test-n-tune... and those are easy to get... simply take a day of the drivers school out there and get signed off.

You don't need a roll cage to drive at the track. Unless of course you've got a convertible w/o a factory roll hoop. Cages are only required for competition.

There are many wonderful tracks within driving distance of Reno. RFR is what, about 40 minutes away? Thunderhill and Sears Point are 3 hours away. And Laguna Seca (a track that people will travel thousands of miles to drive on) is only 5 hours away. If someone thinks those are "too far away", I question their interest in road racing. IMO Mid-Ohio or Road Atlanta are "too far away"... at least considering the quality tracks that are right here.

And if you think the safety checks are a hassle that make street racing a better alternative to taking it to the track... well I don't know what to say about that without sounding like a complete asshole.
Old 2005-12-11, 05:57 PM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
*Puts Flame Suit On*
Yea it is...there are a few online and in magazines who beat BMW's/Porsches/Cobra R's/Vettes. You can find them cheap and use the money to put in a suspension. The engine doesnt need much work compared to drag racing since you have limits on power in road racing.
You realize that ALM is the engineer that designs the parts for those Mustangs that outhandle BMW's/Porsches/etc, right?
Old 2005-12-11, 06:00 PM   #19
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
*Puts Flame Suit On*
I work designing parts for 5.0 Mustangs every day. Trust me - they are not a well engineered platform to work with. Yes, you can find them cheap. But no matter how many suspension mods you throw at it, if will always still be a 1978 Fairmont at heart. It will still have a higher C.G. than a Porsche or a Vette, still have a poor weight distribution, still have a McStrut up front, and still have a beam axle in the back. Where are you going to end up road racing? SCCA-AS? NASA-AI? You still need at least 100hp more than the OE engine to be competitive, and that's only if you've stripped a hell of a lot of weight out of the car. Finding that kind of N/A power out of a Ford 302 is certainly possible, but usually finicky and unreliable. From my experience both personally owning one, and working with them professionally, I'd advise you to stay away.

But if you still want one after that, I can tell you where to go to get the best parts for it.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:05 PM   #20
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
My initial comments were to compare drag racing on the street vs. drag racing at the track. You said you'd rather run 0-60 on the street because taking it to the track is costs too much due to wear on the tires and brakes...

However, if you want to talk road race... I've driven what I estimate to be at least 1000 miles at Reno-Fernley. Sure it eats tires, brake pads, rotors, fluid, gas, maybe even a wheel bearing or two... but all those cost a hell of a lot less than oh, say the 5 years of jail time for crossing over the double yellow on Geiger and killing a family of four in their mini-van while racing some Porsche down the hill. Extreme example? Sure. But I can guarentee you won't kill any innocent bystanders out at Reno-Fernely... something you can't guarentee me won't happen on the street.
Like i said im not stupid...i dont go more than 10MPH over the limit..so that is a extreme example. But people have gotten killed at tracks...drag racing..road racing, whatever. I didnt get to explain the Porsche, that was in the wipe are before it gets to 1 lane each way..i let him go ahead way before theemergency signal.

Quote:
And to dispel some of the mis-information:

You don't need a "race license" or anything to drive at the track. All you need to do it drive with the school out there, or with a club that's putting on a track day. You only need a license for test-n-tune... and those are easy to get... simply take a day of the drivers school out there and get signed off.
Thanks...i was actually going to ask about this but this **** happend first..thanks for clearing that up

Quote:
You don't need a roll cage to drive at the track. Unless of course you've got a convertible w/o a factory roll hoop. Cages are only required for competition.
Thats wasnt what i was told..i forget her name...but the nice woman who runs the school said after i start going a certain speed or time i need a cage

Quote:
There are many wonderful tracks within driving distance of Reno. RFR is what, about 40 minutes away? Thunderhill and Sears Point are 3 hours away. And Laguna Seca (a track that people will travel thousands of miles to drive on) is only 5 hours away. If someone thinks those are "too far away", I question their interest in road racing. IMO Mid-Ohio or Road Atlanta are "too far away"... at least considering the quality tracks that are right here.
I was talking about the drag racing... i dont feel like driving even 40 minutes to make 2-3 runs when i dont care about times and waiting in a line.
Quote:
And if you think the safety checks are a hassle that make street racing a better alternative to taking it to the track... well I don't know what to say about that without sounding like a complete asshole.
I NEVER said its better to street race, i said its easier. You can get killed either way, and even the NHRA has relaxed it rules..new cars are much safer at higher speeds...but if you race on Virgina at 6pm on a saturday, that stupid. IF i even street race like i said, there are no other cars and no places one could turn out of, i would never race in a resdential area either.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:08 PM   #21
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
I work designing parts for 5.0 Mustangs every day. Trust me - they are not a well engineered platform to work with. Yes, you can find them cheap. But no matter how many suspension mods you throw at it, if will always still be a 1978 Fairmont at heart. It will still have a higher C.G. than a Porsche or a Vette, still have a poor weight distribution, still have a McStrut up front, and still have a beam axle in the back. Where are you going to end up road racing? SCCA-AS? NASA-AI? You still need at least 100hp more than the OE engine to be competitive, and that's only if you've stripped a hell of a lot of weight out of the car. Finding that kind of N/A power out of a Ford 302 is certainly possible, but usually finicky and unreliable. From my experience both personally owning one, and working with them professionally, I'd advise you to stay away.

But if you still want one after that, I can tell you where to go to get the best parts for it.
I have a friend who races at RFR and other places in amature classes. He uses a 95 GT...all he did was strip the interior..put on some slicks and run a free flowing exhaust, he usually places in the top 5.

There is actually a few places that make great track cars:
Steeda
Maximum Motorsports
Saleen
etc

edit: i would just do what i could afford to do...but like i said it wil be a few years..and i may actually get a used '01/'99 cobra like i used to have.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:12 PM   #22
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
I have a friend who races at RFR and other places in amature classes. He uses a 95 GT...all he did was strip the interior..put on some slicks and run a free flowing exhaust, he usually places in the top 5.

There is actually a few places that make great track cars:
Steeda
Maximum Motorsports
Saleen
etc

edit: i would just do what i could afford to do...but like i said it wil be a few years..and i may actually get a used '01/'99 cobra like i used to have.
AtomicLabMonkey is the lead design engineer at Maximum... I'm pretty sure he knows what's what.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:14 PM   #23
DARKSTI
EJ22

Quote:
AtomicLabMonkey is the lead design engineer at Maximum... I'm pretty sure he knows what's what.
Oh nice..thats sweet. Just before i got the STI i was about to order some springs. Nice people

edit:I also want to say im sorry if i touched a sore subject.

Last edited by DARKSTI; 2005-12-11 at 06:21 PM.
Old 2005-12-11, 06:21 PM   #24
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

Quote:
Thats wasnt what i was told..i forget her name...but the nice woman who runs the school said after i start going a certain speed or time i need a cage
Must've been E.T. (Eileen? Thomas). Setup rules possibly depends on what organization you are driving with. SCCA vs. NASA, vs. various car clubs.

Quote:
I NEVER said its better to street race, i said its easier.
Valid point! We know it's waayyyy easier - and why so many partake in it. and That is why we sometimes get very animated in trying to convince people to try it the 'legal' way. Many of us have known way too many people who've had something bad happen, or been caught at it; and know about the devastating stories and fallout that happens when things go awry.

Good that you have your limits, but others around you can't be counted on to have them too. Be safe - we do not want another Subaru enthusiast to come to harm.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-11, 06:22 PM   #25
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Like i said im not stupid...i dont go more than 10MPH over the limit..so that is a extreme example. But people have gotten killed at tracks...drag racing..road racing, whatever. I didnt get to explain the Porsche, that was in the wipe are before it gets to 1 lane each way..i let him go ahead way before theemergency signal.
Even racing on the street below the speed limit is dangerous... that's why the law isn't "no racing over the speed limit", the law is "no racing".

And while people get killed at race tracks... innocent bystanders don't get killed at the race track. When I'm out there I'm at 100% concentration in a car inspected for safe operation, with other cars driven by drivers at 100% concentration in their safety inspected cars... and we've all signed waivers.

On the street there are people out there that aren't in on your little game, and it's not fair to risk their lives. That's why street racing is illegal... not 'cause "the man" is trying to keep you down, it's 'cause other people can die when you fuck up on the street, not just the participants.

Quote:
When you start getting into the 11's at the strip, I believe a cage is required... but road race tracks don't tend to have the same requirements. Though if you're getting into 100+ mph speeds, a roll hoop becomes a good idea. I'm looking at getting a 6 point hoop before next season starts.

Quote:
I NEVER said its better to street race, i said its easier. You can get killed either way, and even the NHRA has relaxed it rules..new cars are much safer at higher speeds...but if you race on Virgina at 6pm on a saturday, that stupid. IF i even street race like i said, there are no other cars and no places one could turn out of, i would never race in a resdential area either.
If you're going to put so many resitrictions on yourself trying to be safe about it, why not just stop racing on the street period? Plus, safety issues aside, it doesn't matter how desolated the spot is that you pick to race on, it's still your ass in jail if the cops see you. Why even bother with the risk, when there are much more fun and much safer venues to race at?