Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2013-02-04, 03:21 PM   #1
Brandong
EJ22

Car: 2007 Sleeper......thats not really a sleeper.......
Default Hood scoop swap.....

Anyone ever attempted to swap the bigger sti hood scoop of the 04 05 years with the smaller one of the 07? I like the bigger one and I wish to replace it with my smaller one.........
Old 2013-02-04, 03:50 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Anyone ever attempted to swap the bigger sti hood scoop of the 04 05 years with the smaller one of the 07? I like the bigger one and I wish to replace it with my smaller one.........
They won't fit. The shape of the hole in the hood is quite different. Also, I don't know that the '04/'05 scoops are at all more effective than the '06+ scoops. They're just squarer looking.

Knucklesplitter could tell you the specifics. He's got CAD drawings of all the different scoops because he manufacturers block-off plates for all the different generations of hoodscoops.
Old 2013-02-04, 05:11 PM   #3
Brandong
EJ22

Thank you much there the doink : ) any idea of where to get just the scoop that is modified to fit without having to do the whole hood in say carbon fiber or having to buy a hood off of an 04/05?
Old 2013-02-04, 05:41 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Thank you much there the doink : ) any idea of where to get just the scoop that is modified to fit without having to do the whole hood in say carbon fiber or having to buy a hood off of an 04/05?
You best bet is probably going to be making your own custom boxy scoop out of carbon or fiberglass. Borrow an '05 scoop, make a mold, then adapt the mold to line up with the shape of the '07 scoop.

You can't use an '04/'05 hood because the lights don't match. I doubt you can modify the '07 hood since the holes are that different... or if you could, it's probably more work than just making a scoop, since the hood is aluminum, and merging an '05 hole into an '07 hood is going to require a pro-welder and a source '05 hood.

Personally, I think it's a ton of work to get the older, uglier hood scoop. The '04/'05's look like someone bolted a shoebox to the hood.
Old 2013-02-04, 08:35 PM   #5
Brandong
EJ22

Haha well call me crazy but I like the older ones :-) then again I also de shopping carted my trunk add well so.........but anyway thanks for the info doinkerooster!
Old 2013-02-07, 04:43 PM   #6
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Scott's right - to cleanly run an OE 04-05 scoop on your 07, you'd need to track down a clean 04-05 hood, have a truly expert TIG welder graft in the hood flange to your 07, do a bunch of body work, modify the inner support, do some more body work, let it shrink for a few weeks, do some more body work, after the aluminum warps from head and lack of ability to breath from the bodywork - do some more body work, wait for it to shrink some more, then finish body work and paint.

Of, go the cheaper route and pick up a carbon hood that uses the 04-05 scoop shape, and paint match it.

But after all of that, you'd end up with a less effective scoop, and less of the "sleeper" styling you seem to be after.

A large part of the 06-07 facelift was dramatically improving the aerodynamic shape of the prior boxy nose (which itself was a dramatic improvement over the bug eyes), and significantly reducing the coefficient of drag. How'd they reduce the CD so well? Less scoop, among other things.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 10:47 AM   #7
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
Scott's right - to cleanly run an OE 04-05 scoop on your 07, you'd need to track down a clean 04-05 hood, have a truly expert TIG welder graft in the hood flange to your 07, do a bunch of body work, modify the inner support, do some more body work, let it shrink for a few weeks, do some more body work, after the aluminum warps from head and lack of ability to breath from the bodywork - do some more body work, wait for it to shrink some more, then finish body work and paint.

Of, go the cheaper route and pick up a carbon hood that uses the 04-05 scoop shape, and paint match it.

But after all of that, you'd end up with a less effective scoop, and less of the "sleeper" styling you seem to be after.

A large part of the 06-07 facelift was dramatically improving the aerodynamic shape of the prior boxy nose (which itself was a dramatic improvement over the bug eyes), and significantly reducing the coefficient of drag. How'd they reduce the CD so well? Less scoop, among other things.
No way, I got 27MPG on my trip to Squaw last week, driving 80 on 80, 150K+ miles on the clock. She's like a hot knife through butter.
Old 2013-02-08, 10:55 AM   #8
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

You mean she's like a stick up butter over a hot knife...
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 11:38 AM   #9
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
You mean she's like a stick up butter over a hot knife...
Block of Velveeta.
Old 2013-02-08, 10:25 PM   #10
SoyKraut
EJ18

Car: 2022 SaniHut Ass Adventurer
Class: Lower Middle Class

SubUWU?

Agreed. Like a block of warm Velveeta. I regularly get 26 or better MPG with my Bugeye and standard hood scoop. Glad she does looks like a sleeper because my car is quite slow in a straight line!
SoyKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 04:01 PM   #11
Brandong
EJ22

Yeah im sure the cd has to do with less hood scoop ie the newer models practically don't have one. I'm just not sure it will make even a noticeable difference from the one I have now. (I also had an 04 sti before this one and I feel no difference but who knows).
Old 2013-02-10, 05:54 PM   #12
Brandong
EJ22

I just swapped my hood scoop with a friend who has a vis carbon hood made for the 06 07 sti and it bolted on direct fit and visa versa...........just fyi it can and has been done without any modification : ) He likes the smaller version and I like the larger so it was a win win!
Old 2013-02-12, 09:06 PM   #13
scubasteve
EJ18

Car: 05 Forester XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
They won't fit. The shape of the hole in the hood is quite different. Also, I don't know that the '04/'05 scoops are at all more effective than the '06+ scoops. They're just squarer looking.

Knucklesplitter could tell you the specifics. He's got CAD drawings of all the different scoops because he manufacturers block-off plates for all the different generations of hoodscoops.
Does anyone know if Knucklesplitter has ever made any splitters from his CAD workups? Or at least used his drawings for someone else to make splitters...
I have the 02-03 STi scoop on my forester and I feel bad having the stock splitter doing so little for the bigger intercooler.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...-turbo-126403/

This guy had someone make him a custom splitter out of aluminum and posted the demensions for the sti intercooler.. sorry to thread jack

Last edited by scubasteve; 2013-02-12 at 10:41 PM.
scubasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 09:43 PM   #14
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I would assume the large splitter from the '02 jdm sti would fit on your forester if the scoop fits. I think I might actually have one lying around in my garage somewhere if you want to test it out.
Old 2013-02-12, 10:40 PM   #15
scubasteve
EJ18

that would be awesome, I removed mine the other day and its only 8 nuts and 5 minutes to get out.... dont read into that too much, sounds kinda weird if you read it too much... haha
Old 2013-02-13, 10:11 AM   #16
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Yeah, the Forester SG body uses the bugeye hood scoop, so the JDM STi splitter and scoop drop right on. There's also a splitter on the market from Subtle Solutions, but it's very expensive and I'm not sure he is still making them.
Old 2013-02-13, 11:56 PM   #17
scubasteve
EJ18

Ive seen the subtle splitter, its something like $350. ouch!
very nice looking though, matches right up to sti intercooler