Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of vendors & aftermarket parts, as well as find local shops for working on your Subaru.

Old 2010-03-16, 10:03 AM   #1
sunriseshell
n00b

Car: '02 WRX AT
Default Automotion Compact Car Clininc, Reno

Am looking for a local (Reno) shop to get some service. I'm almost at 140000 and my timing belt is WAY past due.
In my searches I came across this shop and wondering if anybody has any experience with them:

Automotion Compact Car Clinic
225 Telegraph Street
Reno, NV 89502
775-284-9444
http://www.automotionreno.com/

As per the rules of this section I am listing the one shop but I'm open to other suggestions as well. I'm looking for a good shop to do this work, preferably one with Subi experience. I will go to Lithia if necessary but I figure we got to have some great independent shops around here. I'm not looking to "tune" at this point but would be willing to go to a "performance" shop if they're good. I did notice though that most of the recommended shops in that category are over the hill, and that won't work for me right now.

If other shops come up we can add more posts, noticed this section was empty could use some reviews.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Last edited by sunriseshell; 2010-03-16 at 10:16 AM. Reason: fix grammar, add another paragraph
sunriseshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-16, 10:09 AM   #2
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

If I hadn't done mine, myself, I'd take it to Nissan and require that Cory be the only tech to do the work. I'd buy the parts online to save some cash. In a recent thread, here, on timing belts, some guys really liked a very inexpensive kit from Ebay that included most of the recommended parts. I replaced everything I could while I was in there except the crank seal with OEM parts.
Old 2010-03-16, 10:18 AM   #3
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Definitely take it to Nissan of Reno and ask for Cory to do the work. I know it's Nissan, but Cory's worked on more Subarus there than Nissans in the past few years. Buying your own parts is probably the way to go.
Old 2010-03-16, 10:32 AM   #4
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

What they said. Parts on-line, ebay, or from Matt (Knucklesplitter) here on the forums, work done by Cory(MPREZIV)

I have had him work on my cars/trucks. He is a fellow Subaru owner, SECS club member, autocrosser and all around good guy.
Old 2010-03-16, 11:14 AM   #5
sunriseshell
n00b

Sweet thanks for the input!

Was planning on buying the parts first, am sourcing them now. I decided to skip the "ebay kit" even though it's a good price. Was gonna go aftermarket belt but realized OEM is the way to go. I mean this current set of parts has gone 140,000 miles with no trouble. Am planning on replacing the belt, all pulleys, tensioner, water pump, maybe seals too opinion seems to vary on this. Considering the mileage I'm gonna replace all that is possible while it's open. If I don't, Murphy will likely step in and something will go that I could have had changed.
Old 2010-03-16, 11:26 AM   #6
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Can't go wrong with OEM. Oil seals are cheap so you can look at them when you get it open and decide then. I decided that I'd probably screw up the seal or something so skipped it. Plus it looked brand new.

Don't forget thermostat, thermostat seal, water pump seal. And I always use OEM coolant and conditioner. Also, to warn you, one of the pulleys have been superceeded by a different pulley that's the same as another pulley on there. So you'll pull off two disimilar pulleys and replace them with two identicle ones. Hope that makes sense.
Old 2010-03-16, 11:52 AM   #7
sunriseshell
n00b

Don't have the time or place to do it myself right now.

Am having a heck of a time online finding a "timing belt kit" of OEM parts. All seem to be comprised of aftermarket parts. Was thinking about getting parts quote from Subaru so I can get full list of parts with part numbers so I can put together my own kit. I want to have everything needed on hand & ready when I take it in to the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Don't forget thermostat, thermostat seal, water pump seal.
Speaking of thermostats am thinking about foregoing OEM and getting 160° failsafe type so the engine runs cooler, figure get I will get more life out of it that way. Am a little concerned about low heat output when it's cold outside but I never turn it up high except to defrost the windshield. I would live with the inconvenience of longer windshield defrost times on cold mornings to get longer engine life.

Last edited by sunriseshell; 2010-03-16 at 12:05 PM.
Old 2010-03-16, 12:03 PM   #8
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

At 140K, I would do everything in the Jumbo kit including Cam and main seal, water pump and thermostat. Accessory belts as well if you have not done them in a while.

Street car, stock thermo, track car, 160... IMHO

The ebay kits should be fine as long as they are using OEM quality parts.

Matt (Knucklesplitter) can also offer you a kit with known OEM parts and upgraded belts. If you want to go to an upgraded oil pump, he can help there as well.
Old 2010-03-16, 12:13 PM   #9
sunriseshell
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
At 140K, I would do everything in the Jumbo kit including Cam and main seal, water pump and thermostat. Accessory belts as well if you have not done them in a while.
My thinking exactly, haven't had service (other than oil & filter changes) since somewhere about 60,000 - 80,000.
Quote:
The ebay kits should be fine as long as they are using OEM quality parts.
So far I'm only finding aftermarket kits but have moved off ebay to online stores, will check again.
Quote:
Matt (Knucklesplitter) can also offer you a kit with known OEM parts and upgraded belts. If you want to go to an upgraded oil pump, he can help there as well.
Sound like sage advice, should I PM him or perhaps go to some store or website?

Again thanks all for the great info!!
Old 2010-03-16, 12:21 PM   #10
sunriseshell
n00b

Quote:
If you want to go to an upgraded oil pump, he can help there as well.
My goal is reliability and longevity. It's plenty fast enough already!
If a better oil pump, and other aftermarket add-ons will help me get longer engine life then I'm all for it.
Old 2010-03-16, 12:41 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunriseshell View Post
My goal is reliability and longevity. It's plenty fast enough already!
If a better oil pump, and other aftermarket add-ons will help me get longer engine life then I'm all for it.
You've got no need for an upgraded oil pump on a stock motor.
Old 2010-03-17, 09:50 AM   #12
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
You've got no need for an upgraded oil pump on a stock motor.
The 08+ STI 11mm oil pump is actually less expensive than the normal 10mm I think. It is also a bolt-on direct replacement.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 10:48 AM   #13
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklesplitter View Post
The 08+ STI 11mm oil pump is actually less expensive than the normal 10mm I think. It is also a bolt-on direct replacement.
It's certainly not cheaper than leaving the oil pump that's on the motor alone though. It's not like oil pumps wear out the way water pumps do... there's no maintenance interval for oil pump replacement is there? You just replace 'em when/if they break.
Old 2010-03-17, 12:59 PM   #14
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
It's certainly not cheaper than leaving the oil pump that's on the motor alone though. It's not like oil pumps wear out the way water pumps do... there's no maintenance interval for oil pump replacement is there? You just replace 'em when/if they break.
No maintenance interval that I know of. I just meant if you are replacing it, then the 11mm is a few bucks cheaper. At 140,000 miles if had the timing belt off I would at least inspect it.
Old 2010-03-27, 09:13 AM   #15
left footed whooten
EJ251

Car: 06 WRX wagon CGM
Class: Stuck working weekends

Not to knock anyones suggestions from within the group, but no one commented on the shop in question. Ive had nothing but good experience with Compact Car repair. I had them do my Tbelt on my old 1.8 impreza since I wasn't able to at the time, as well as some work on the crap old S4. Never had an issue with work or parts quality, always felt they were honest and not out to get me. They communicate well and are timely. Labor rate was fair, given the quality of wrk and customer svc. Trevor, and the others, always treated me well.

Im not anymore, but I was in the business for several years in the early 90's fixing Hondas, Mazda, then everything before moving on career wise. I would take my car to them for work in the future if I had to, but prefer to do everything I can myself.

I might add, I bring my car over here for repairs when I need them, as I wont let any shop in Truckee touch any car of mine.
Old 2010-03-27, 10:20 PM   #16
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

^So they're your preferred auto shop in Reno and you used to be in the business? Pretty good recommendation.
Old 2010-03-28, 12:03 AM   #17
sunriseshell
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
^So they're your preferred auto shop in Reno and you used to be in the business? Pretty good recommendation.
I agree, pretty good endorsement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten View Post
I might add, I bring my car over here for repairs when I need them, as I wont let any shop in Truckee touch any car of mine.
I hear that! I lived at the lake for a long time, was always leery about taking the vehicles to Truckee based on word around town.
Thanks for the feedback, and actually about the shop in question!
Old 2010-03-28, 08:29 AM   #18
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Quote:
Originally Posted by left footed whooten View Post
Labor rate was fair, given the quality of wrk and customer svc.
Do you happen to know what their hourly labor rate is/was?
Old 2010-04-03, 08:18 AM   #19
left footed whooten
EJ251

Car: 06 WRX wagon CGM
Class: Stuck working weekends

IIRC labor rate was ~$82 last time I used them, that was about 05 or 06. Havent needed them since I got rid of that damn S4. What a pile. In Truckee here, it seems like folks are just willing to accept a hack job, I dont get it.

I worked at Automotion (no relation) Honda/Acura svc in Concord during and after high school, then Mostly Mazda, then Lafayette Autoworks (in Walnut Creek) before going full hippie retard, taking off for a year in my VW bus, fucking around and having a good time for many years, now I'm a nurse. Go figger...