Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2011-11-19, 12:21 PM   #1
WRXlerate
EJ22

Car: 02 Soccermom Wagon
Class: "sleeper"

Destroying V8 Egos 4 cylinders at a time
Default Want the regs of importing cars to change? Sign the petition!!

Right now regs require the car to be 25yrs old to not have to pass EPA and DOT standards, if they can pass the new regs it would change to 15. Which would mean we could have a lot more fun, sporty cars to play with.
here is the link, you will have to register with the government's site before being allowed to 'sign' the petition. At this time they still need 15,396 so please pass along to other forums. We have until Dec 9 2011 so pass along with a quickness!!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13217337499157
Old 2011-11-19, 06:32 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Honestly, while I agree with the idea, anybody in Washington with any sort of authority has more important things to worry about.
Old 2011-11-19, 09:13 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Also, I can't think of a single 15 to 25 year old foreign car worth the hassle of importing. Especially some wrung out GTR this whole petition is really all about.
Old 2011-11-20, 07:36 AM   #4
IheartSTI
EJ22

Car: 05 sti and 08 honda fit

have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Also, I can't think of a single 15 to 25 year old foreign car worth the hassle of importing. Especially some wrung out GTR this whole petition is really all about.
Mark 4 supras, silvias, sti, evos.... All the good stuff!! I would kill for a evo 6. I actually would rather have any of those cars over a skyline.
Old 2011-11-20, 11:31 AM   #5
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Skylines are only cool because we never even got a watered-down version here. I'm with Sam, I'd rather have an early STi wagon or an S15 Silvia than a Skyline.
Old 2011-11-20, 01:24 PM   #6
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

I wouldn't worry about any of this, I you have the money, you can have any of the newer desirable cars. Just take money and time.

The irony is that any car over 25 is already free of EPA regs. Changing that to 15 years would cause all sorts of smog reg changes. Considering the income from smog failures and testing, I don't see that happening.

My dad and I once researched bringing a Honda NSX type R over as he wanted a fun car while living in London. All told it would have been about 7k delivered to Tahoe, all import duties and certs included. Didn't as he couldn't find a decent left hand drive car at a decent price.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 05:55 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartSTI View Post
Mark 4 supras, silvias, sti, evos.... All the good stuff!! I would kill for a evo 6. I actually would rather have any of those cars over a skyline.
None of those cars at the price it would require to import one in good condition is better than the equivalent money spent on a newer US spec car. Sure, they are some cool non-US cars, but why spend $40k importing an EVO 6 when you can have an EVO 8 or 9 that's better in pretty much every way for $20k-$30k? Being JDM isn't worth he money IMO.

Also, Supras are dumb. They look neat, but I'll take my muscle cars with a blue oval and a horse on 'em.
Old 2011-11-20, 06:33 PM   #8
IheartSTI
EJ22

Car: 05 sti and 08 honda fit

have fun

The prices are cheaper then cars here... After importing. I had a real rhd eg6 here for 3k. I almost picked up a s15 type r for 11k. I decided not to because the way I registered the Honda was questionable. It does not cost that much for shipping especially if it's legal and company's ship mass quantities. If your spending 40 k your getting something like a r34 gtr
Old 2011-11-20, 10:00 PM   #9
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

So basically what we're all saying is that the regs don't need to change, and if we were to team up to fight for something to change it might be a worthwhile cause?

I'd love to have an R34 GTR. I can't. When I might be able to afford one and easily obtainable R35 wi be affordable. I'll go with tech over unobtanium dream.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote