Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2006-11-06, 02:19 PM   #1
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter
Exclamation Low Boost

I posted this problem on NASIOC with no avail. Whats happening is that I am only getting 9.2psi of boost max. I have a TBE, HKS SSQV and am running the cobb stage 2 91 octane map. I have an aftermarket defi boost gauge that I installed about 2 weeks ago. Both the gauge and the AP read the same psi with a max of 9.2. The car feels fine when I drive it, but this is my first subie so who is to say if it feels fine for what im running.

What I know so far:
The "restrictor pill" is in the hose coming from the turbo.
The BOV is tight and no leaks.
I reset the ECU and the boost didnt change meaning that the ECU isnt removing boost due to knock.

The map that I am currently running is the only map that will work on my car for some reason. I will plug in the white plug and connect the green connects to change my base map. It will flash and then say im done. So then i unplug everything and start the car. When I go to press on the gas it goes quiet as if the gas shut off. If I were to hold the gas pedal down the car would die. I can feather the gas a little and it will climb up in rpm. The strange thing is that when I load the other maps the Tach doesnt move when I push on the gas. I never drove it with any of these other maps, but when I would reinstall the map im running now, everything goes back to normal and it functions perfectly. Perhaps one of you has some input? If not maybe we can meet up and one of you drive it to give me a second opinion or maybe you can hear a leak that I cant. This is my first rex and I cant really hear a difference from what one should sound like.
Help please.

i am decatting the uppipe in the next couple of days so I guess while im taking off the intercooler and such, that sould take care of any hose leaks.
100_Percent_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 02:21 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Divorce the AP and/or load a blank map so that you are only running on the stock ECU and see what happens. Also, where *exactly* are you getting your feed to the boost gauge?
Old 2006-11-06, 02:32 PM   #3
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

I had it installed on the turbo side of the car right behind the t-fitting from the turbo, then someone on nasioc said to install it behind the BOV so I did.
Old 2006-11-06, 02:33 PM   #4
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

how do I "divorce" the ap?
Old 2006-11-06, 02:46 PM   #5
Kevin M
EJ22T

Boost reads lower after the intercooler than it does directly off the compresor outlet, but not 5 psi. It's actually not all that important where you have it, as long as there are no restrictions in the point you use, and you take into accoutn where it is when you are reading it. It should be consistent no matter where you put it.

"Divorcing" means removing the AP and putting the ECU back to stock, like the AP was never there. It's a PITA though, so actually it woud be a good idea to try some other things before you do that. I am starting to think maybe your boost solenoid is dead.

You have catless TBE, BOV, and absolutely no other mods right?
Old 2006-11-06, 03:06 PM   #6
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice
I posted this problem on NASIOC with no avail. Whats happening is that I am only getting 9.2psi of boost max. I have a TBE, HKS SSQV and am running the cobb stage 2 91 octane map. I have an aftermarket defi boost gauge that I installed about 2 weeks ago. Both the gauge and the AP read the same psi with a max of 9.2. The car feels fine when I drive it, but this is my first subie so who is to say if it feels fine for what im running.

What I know so far:
The "restrictor pill" is in the hose coming from the turbo.
The BOV is tight and no leaks.
I reset the ECU and the boost didnt change meaning that the ECU isnt removing boost due to knock.

The map that I am currently running is the only map that will work on my car for some reason. I will plug in the white plug and connect the green connects to change my base map. It will flash and then say im done. So then i unplug everything and start the car. When I go to press on the gas it goes quiet as if the gas shut off. If I were to hold the gas pedal down the car would die. I can feather the gas a little and it will climb up in rpm. The strange thing is that when I load the other maps the Tach doesnt move when I push on the gas. I never drove it with any of these other maps, but when I would reinstall the map im running now, everything goes back to normal and it functions perfectly. Perhaps one of you has some input? If not maybe we can meet up and one of you drive it to give me a second opinion or maybe you can hear a leak that I cant. This is my first rex and I cant really hear a difference from what one should sound like.
Help please.

i am decatting the uppipe in the next couple of days so I guess while im taking off the intercooler and such, that sould take care of any hose leaks.
I'd guess you've got a leak in the intake somewhere... but I can't figure out how *any* of your maps work if that's the case.
Old 2006-11-06, 03:18 PM   #7
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS

"Divorcing" means removing the AP and putting the ECU back to stock, like the AP was never there. It's a PITA though, so actually it woud be a good idea to try some other things before you do that. I am starting to think maybe your boost solenoid is dead.

You have catless TBE, BOV, and absolutely no other mods right?
Yeah those are my only mods. Wouldnt i have to marry the AP to the car before I can divorce it?
Old 2006-11-06, 03:19 PM   #8
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

How are you using the AP if it isn't already married to your car?
Old 2006-11-06, 03:33 PM   #9
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

Quote:
Yeah those are my only mods. Wouldnt i have to marry the AP to the car before I can divorce it?
I think that was a joke...

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 03:33 PM   #10
Kevin M
EJ22T

Okay, not to come off harsh, but if you haven't heard those terms before, you haven't done any research about the AP yet. Go to http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/ and www.cobbtuning.com and read read read. Try calling Cobb first, then post on Cobb forums in the AP subforum, and if you still can't find the issue but have a good understanding of how the AP works (and the EJ20 in general) we will be better able to help you... and more willing, since we don't have to give you a page of background for every one line suggestion on how to troubleshoot issues with modded engines.

Quote:
If you are loading and running maps, the AP is married to your ECU. You can't use it on another car until it's divorced. It seems that you bought the car with the AP already installed if you didn't already know this. Were there any other mods that were on it before that were taken off, particularly an intake?
Old 2006-11-06, 04:16 PM   #11
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonK
I think that was a joke...
It was a joke, I bought the AP and put it on the car.

Quote:
Okay, not to come off harsh, but if you haven't heard those terms before, you haven't done any research about the AP yet. Go to http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/ and www.cobbtuning.com and read read read. Try calling Cobb first, then post on Cobb forums in the AP subforum, and if you still can't find the issue but have a good understanding of how the AP works (and the EJ20 in general) we will be better able to help you... and more willing, since we don't have to give you a page of background for every one line suggestion on how to troubleshoot issues with modded engines.

If you are loading and running maps, the AP is married to your ECU. You can't use it on another car until it's divorced. It seems that you bought the car with the AP already installed if you didn't already know this. Were there any other mods that were on it before that were taken off, particularly an intake?
Before I got the AP the car had the catless TBE, RFL BOV, and the Injen short ram intake. I took the intake off and put the stock airbox back on the car. Then I loaded a map with the AP, then I got the boost gauge. I havnt had time to go back to stock settings yet, and I wouldnt think it would be the map im running. But yes I will revert back to the stock settings and see what that does.
Old 2006-11-06, 04:31 PM   #12
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

The AP has the ability to read the boost value from the ECU in real time. I would try this first to see whether the boost is actually low or whether the boost gauge is just reading low.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 04:33 PM   #13
Kevin M
EJ22T

What I was getting to was trying to eliminate or verify the AP/map as the source of the problem. If you have weird issues on a totally stock ECU, then it's mechanical. And if it runs fine, then either your AP is screwy, or you need to get a 100% Cobb originated map and try again.

Also, give a stock bypass valve a try. The RFL may not be leaking under no load, but if the springs are set incorrectly it will leak boost at a specific pressure... like 9.2 psi. The car will also run better in general. Given a choice between the intake and the BOV, I'd recommend the intake instead, because Cobb has maps for it.
Old 2006-11-06, 04:34 PM   #14
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
The AP has the ability to read the boost value from the ECU in real time. I would try this first to see whether the boost is actually low or whether the boost gauge is just reading low.
first post n00ber.
Old 2006-11-06, 05:10 PM   #15
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Reading is for chumps!!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 10:42 PM   #16
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Thumbs up

You guys are not very good at reading and THEN answering.

Quote:
Also, give a stock bypass valve a try. The RFL may not be leaking under no load, but if the springs are set incorrectly it will leak boost at a specific pressure... like 9.2 psi. The car will also run better in general. Given a choice between the intake and the BOV, I'd recommend the intake instead, because Cobb has maps for it.
I dont have either an intake or an RFL, those were 2 things that WERE on the car.

Quote:
I have a TBE, HKS SSQV and am running the cobb stage 2 91 octane map. I have an aftermarket defi boost gauge that I installed about 2 weeks ago.
__________________________________________________ _____________________
Quote:
Okay, not to come off harsh, but if you haven't heard those terms before, you haven't done any research about the AP yet.
If you want to use the correct terms its unmarry instead of divorce. Hence the joke.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
Quote:
Both the gauge and the AP read the same psi with a max of 9.2.
Thanks for the help guys, it would help me more if you fully read my post, so you could fully understand the problem and so we can both save time.
Old 2006-11-06, 10:44 PM   #17
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

What map are you running anyway?
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 11:55 PM   #18
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

oh cody not you too...
it says what map im running in my original post.../\/\/\/\
Old 2006-11-07, 08:09 AM   #19
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 10:20 AM   #20
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
You guys are not very good at reading and THEN answering.

I dont have either an intake or an RFL, those were 2 things that WERE on the car.

Thanks for the help guys, it would help me more if you fully read my post, so you could fully understand the problem and so we can both save time.
My bad. But pretend I said "blowoff valve" and try it anyway.
Old 2006-11-07, 10:42 AM   #21
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Ok I took off the HKS SSQV and put the Bypass valve back on and there is no change in boost. I am in the process of removing the AP right now. Are there any other tips?
Old 2006-11-07, 11:52 AM   #22
qksubi
Assault Mechanic

Car: 13 Sti Hatch Satin white
Class: TBSP/TT-2

Aim for the EYES!

Have you done anything with the restrictor pill?And have checked for a exhuast leak?
qksubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 12:02 PM   #23
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Hey qksubi. I have checked and the restrictor pill is in the hose. I have not done anything with it. If there was an exhaust leak, such as from the turbo to the DP, would that effect the boost? I think i have seen you drive by a few times. You live over by my friend Dustin who had the evo. Maybe sometime I can swing by and let you check it out.
Old 2006-11-07, 12:02 PM   #24
doubleurx
EJ205

Wait what car is this? I didn't see that in the first post?
Old 2006-11-07, 12:04 PM   #25
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

04 rex