Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Motorsports Chat

Motorsports Chat Autocross, rallycross, and track event planning, as well as general motorsport discussion.

Old 2003-02-11, 11:19 AM   #1
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe
Default Reno SCCA Autocross Schedule

The season schedule and run groups are posted, link through the News, 2/10/03 update:

http://www.renoscca.com

The first weekend will be a Test/Tune on Sat. April 5, followed by a drivers school on Sunday April 6.

In addition, on Mar. 22, some Reno SCCA people will be at Summit Racing, handing out promotional material & answering questions.

Not too much longer!
-Debbie
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-11, 07:24 PM   #2
ZER026D
EJ251

Car: 01 is300 / 87 rx4
Class: ?

drive fast take chances

I still have the SCCA forum that came with my car I should fill it out.
ZER026D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-02-12, 10:17 AM   #3
dknv
EJ207

I would if I were you - an SCCA membership will save you $10 off each event entry fee.
Old 2003-03-05, 12:36 PM   #4
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

I sent off my SCCA membership yesterday so I will be there for the autox season with you guys cant wait to compare times on the track.
Old 2003-03-06, 09:00 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I never sent my SCCA form in... 'course it was for 2001, and I've since lost it . Can I sign up at the tech days?
Old 2003-03-06, 08:25 PM   #6
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

So if I get a ECUTEK can I run in the same class as you guys or what I want to run at around the same time as you guys but if not what ever.
Old 2003-03-06, 09:17 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER026D
So if I get a ECUTEK can I run in the same class as you guys or what I want to run at around the same time as you guys but if not what ever.
EcuTek is cool for STX if you have it tuned with the stock boost maps (which is hard to prove... I get the feeling SCCA will say any ecu remapping is illegal for STX)... which sucks, cuz that's where all the big power gains are. If you modify the boost maps, I believe that bumps you to ESP.

I'm running the Vishnu UniChip still, which doesn't modify boost... that's why it's got a MBC... so for STX, I'll have to take off the MBC and run the with the stock boost controller.
Old 2003-03-11, 10:37 AM   #8
dknv
EJ207

Default scca membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
I never sent my SCCA form in... 'course it was for 2001, and I've since lost it . Can I sign up at the tech days?
Sure, you can sign up at tech day, or school day, or any event thereafter. But if you know you're going to want to run several events this summer, the sooner you become a member, the sooner you'll save $10 each time.

We'll also have forms on hand at the SCCA day at Summit Racing on 3/22.

(btw, SCCA has a reduced price membership for drivers 16-25 yo.)

http://www.renoscca.com/docs/Reno%20...ion%202003.pdf

Link is the Reno Region membership application (which notes the $10 regional fee).
Old 2003-03-13, 11:45 AM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

If I sign up at the event, will I get the discount right away? Or do I need to wait for my membership to go through?

Another thing, I'm dying to get some STi struts and springs... but I don't know if I'll be able to scrape together the cash before April...

I've also got the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit that's pretty much been declared illegal for all classes I'd race in. (There's still a tiny glimmer of hope on a technical loop-hole regarding bushing replacement, but I think since it changes suspension geometry, it's illegal).

Anyway, if I were to run with the ALK installed for a few events, will people mind? I don't want to take it off and pay for an alignment just to get some new struts a month later and have to pay for another alignment right away. I'll just take the ALK off when the struts go on. If people are picky, or if I'm faster than everyone (unlikely) I'll just do "fun runs", but I'd like to be able to compete w/ the ALK on there. How picky are the Reno SCCA people? I'm not suggesting I want to "get away" with anything, I'll definately let everyone know I'm running an ALK.
Old 2003-03-13, 01:23 PM   #10
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

I might have to make the trek up to Reno for an auto-x this year just for the hell of it, especially if a lot of people from Doink.net are coming out, maybe the first full event on April 26-27th.
Old 2003-03-13, 01:25 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
I might have to make the trek up to Reno for an auto-x this year just for the hell of it, especially if a lot of people from Doink.net are coming out, maybe the first full event on April 26-27th.
That would rule!! You still planning on running in Sac? I'll make the trek down there to meet up w/ you for a few events if I can.
Old 2003-03-13, 03:42 PM   #12
dknv
EJ207

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
If I sign up at the event, will I get the discount right away? Or do I need to wait for my membership to go through?

Another thing, I'm dying to get some STi struts and springs... but I don't know if I'll be able to scrape together the cash before April...

I've also got the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit that's pretty much been declared illegal for all classes I'd race in. (There's still a tiny glimmer of hope on a technical loop-hole regarding bushing replacement, but I think since it changes suspension geometry, it's illegal).

Anyway, if I were to run with the ALK installed for a few events, will people mind? I don't want to take it off and pay for an alignment just to get some new struts a month later and have to pay for another alignment right away. I'll just take the ALK off when the struts go on. If people are picky, or if I'm faster than everyone (unlikely) I'll just do "fun runs", but I'd like to be able to compete w/ the ALK on there. How picky are the Reno SCCA people? I'm not suggesting I want to "get away" with anything, I'll definately let everyone know I'm running an ALK.
Yes, if you sign up at the event, you'll get the discount right away.

Re: the ALK - tricky answer. I know of at least of couple of Reno drivers who intend on going to Nationals. For that reason, if you happen to be faster with the Whitelines, and end up with a faster pax score, you may get their attention, and they may ask you to run a different class. Maybe that's the better choice going in. You could always determine how you would have performed in your long-term intended class without affecting other people's pax scores.

What class do you intend to run?

You might be able to get away with it over the first 2 points events (Apr 26-27), but if you're going to run with us in Winnemucca (lots of fun, out of town trip for the weekend, and we are competing with Idaho for a trophy) -- weekend of May 3-4 -- you should definitely run in a class that allows the mod.
Old 2003-03-13, 03:55 PM   #13
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Unfortunately, there's no class except Modified that'll allow the ALK.

I'm still debating STX or ESP. I can run STX if I take off my boost controller, or leave it on and run ESP. I'm not sure I'll be competative in ESP, especially w/o R-compound tires. I should be decent in STX. I could run ESP-N... hehe, ESPN.

If there are people gunning for Nationals, I won't even bother trying to run w/ the ALK. That's serious stuff, and I don't want to intrude. I'm sure I'm slower than them, but if people are taking this seriously, then I will respect that, and I'll just run for no points until I get the ALK taken off. I'm out there to have fun 1st and foremost anyway!
Old 2003-03-13, 04:05 PM   #14
dknv
EJ207

Why don't you just run SM (or which mod class were you referring to?) until you remove the ALK? That way you'd still be in the running for pax points.....vs. RNP. Or, just run the ESPN class for an event or two?

(The only issue with any of the N classes, is that it is considered one big class; so you're competing with all the ASN's, the BSPN's, etc etc.)
Old 2003-03-13, 04:12 PM   #15
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknv
Why don't you just run SM (or which mod class were you referring to?) until you remove the ALK? That way you'd still be in the running for pax points.....vs. RNP. Or, just run the ESPN class for an event or two?

(The only issue with any of the N classes, is that it is considered one big class; so you're competing with all the ASN's, the BSPN's, etc etc.)
I'm not sure which mod class allows the ALK, I should find out. I'll be way out classed, but at least I'll get some points. That's a good idea. The ESPN class might be fun.. I want to see how quick I am with full boost on the car!
Old 2003-03-13, 04:16 PM   #16
dknv
EJ207

Default scca classing

This might help, for starters:
http://moutons.org/sccasolo/index.html
Old 2003-03-13, 04:42 PM   #17
dknv
EJ207

carryover from the tech forum --
link to autocross Novice handbook, which also lists things to bring with you.

http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

A little dated, but still useful. There are some variations to the sequence of events (i.e. we all do a coursewalk before the drivers meeting), but it'll give you some idea before you go the first time.

Car numbers: for your first couple of events, you can use tape on the door panel to display your car number; but if you want to run regularly, you'll want to upgrade beyond tape. Last year, I bought some bendable magnet material from a place on Mill St., used my computer to print out my numbers, traced them onto the magnet stuff, and cut them out. They work great. You can also spend more $$, and buy professional-looking static cling or magnetic numbers if you want.
Old 2003-03-18, 06:35 PM   #18
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

My SCCA membership got here today stoked now to get laminated.
Old 2003-03-18, 08:10 PM   #19
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

How do we know what number to put on are cars do they tell us? :wink:
Old 2003-03-19, 09:57 AM   #20
dknv
EJ207

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZER026D
How do we know what number to put on are cars do they tell us? :wink:
Any idea what class you'll be in? (r u running street tires, or performance tires?) Then, do you have a preferred number? If you can let me know those things, I can give you some idea of whether the number you'd like to have may be available for the class you're in.
No guarantees, since prior club members have 'permanent' numbers, and we can't duplicate within a class.
Old 2003-03-19, 10:18 AM   #21
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

I dont know what class I will be in cause I have so much stuff done to my car and I want more. :wink:
Old 2003-03-19, 10:19 AM   #22
ZER026D
EJ251

drive fast take chances

I would like a big ZERO. :wink:
Old 2003-03-30, 01:51 AM   #23
Kostamojen
EJ22

Quick question: How far away from Reno is stead? I got bored and was looking at the reno auto-x info, noticed that hawthorne and that other airport are DARN FAR AWAY! :shock: (especially trying to drive say from Roseville, CA )

Anyhow, im gonna gun for the Boreal auto-x in august... I have a family cabin right near there, and ive always wanted to race in that parking lot If I get bored, i might show up for one of the Stead auto-x's if its decently close for me...
Old 2003-03-30, 01:37 PM   #24
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Don't forget that American Autocross usually races at Cal Expo in Sac. I ran a few events there over the last 2 years, and they've got a pretty good group. I'll probably hit a few events there this season, since LabMonkey will probably run there too.

http://www.americanauto-x.com/

Hehe... I just checked their site... looks like Cal Expo doesn't have a lot of dates for them this season. They're actually considering Stead Airport too!

Quote:
The Autocross season is about to start for '03. We are having a difficult time getting dates in the Sacramento Area, McClellan has denied use of the "Megalot" next to the Air Museum, and is looking for an alternate site on the Base for us. CalExpo only has six weekends available for three Autocross clubs, so, at this time I am working on several new to AAS sites. I am working to get dates at: Stead Airfield (Reno), Castle Airfield (Atwater), Marina Airfield (Monterey), Pacbell Park (San Francisco), and possibly Golden Gate Fields (Albany).

As most of you know, I have also been working on getting Crows Landing Airfield in Patterson, south of Tracy just off of I5. If that site becomes available, then most of our events will be there, however, since we do not have that site yet, I must work on a contingent set of sites to have a series for our competitors.
Man, that's a lot of traveling! :shock:
Old 2003-03-30, 11:34 PM   #25
Kostamojen
EJ22

Naw, american auto-x moved down to Atwater... I hated their corses anyway, totally designed for corvettes and high powered RWD cars. I much prefere CSCC's Miata designed courses and SCCA Sacramento's cources where you actually get to turn