Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2006-09-04, 07:06 AM   #1
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?
Default Crikey! Steve Irwin dead

I don't know how Australia will go on!

Stingray Kills 'Crocodile Hunter' Irwin

By BRIAN CASSEY
Associated Press Writer
Published September 4, 2006, 8:34 AM CDT

CAIRNS, Australia -- Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

Wild animal expert Jack Hanna, who frequently appears on TV with his subjects, offered praise for Irwin.

"Steve was one of these guys, we thought of him as invincible," Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus (Ohio) Zoo and Aquarium, told ABC's "Good Morning America" Monday.

"The guy was incredible. His knowledge was incredible," Hanna said. "Some people that are doing this stuff are actors and that type of thing, but Steve was truly a zoologist, so to speak, a person who knew what he was doing. Yes, he did things a lot of people wouldn't do. I think he knew what he was doing."

Irwin's ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

His public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to the child, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be excruciatingly painful but are rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

News of Irwin's death spread quickly, and tributes flowed from all quarters of society.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes. Drivers honked their horns as they passed.

"Steve, from all God's creatures, thank you. Rest in peace," was written on a card with a bouquet of native flowers.

"We're all very shocked. I don't know what the zoo will do without him. He's done so much for us, the environment and it's a big loss," said Paula Kelly, a local resident and volunteer at the zoo, after dropping off a wreath at the gate.

Stainton said Irwin's American-born wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., had been informed of his death, and had told their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the "Crocodile Huntress," she costarred on her husband's television show and in his 2002 movie.

* __
Old 2006-09-04, 07:09 AM   #2
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Old 2006-09-04, 07:41 AM   #3
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

RIP Steve.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 09:21 AM   #4
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR
... shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" ...

... distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death ...
That sounds pretty freakish alright, what were the odds
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 10:20 AM   #5
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

One of these through the heart will do that to you...

RIP good buddy. Wrestle a dinosaur for me in heaven.
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-04, 11:22 AM   #6
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
That sounds pretty freakish alright, what were the odds
Yeah, I guess the years of poking all sorts of deadly animals has finally caught up to him. That wild lifestlye never ends well.
Old 2006-09-04, 12:17 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

"Look at dis beau'iful lil croc! Now I'ma stuck my thumb up 'is bum! Oohh, that's really upset 'im now, 'asn't it!"

Some people will say it's bad luck, but that guy intentionally chanced death everyday, it was bound to catch up to him. That said, I really enjoyed his TV work... he was cartoon-like in his mannerisms and ability to avoid being mangled by some crazy ass creatures. RIP.
Old 2006-09-04, 01:40 PM   #8
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Him and Tim Treadwell both took their chances doing stupid shit around deadly animals. You pays yo money, you takes yo chances...
Old 2006-09-04, 09:58 PM   #9
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

What is interesting is that normally stingrays are very benign. It is likely that Irwin just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Complacency around what are normally "nice" but "wild" animals can get people in trouble. Roy Horn of Sigfried and Roy also learned this the hard way.

I thought Steve was a wacky dude, but liked him. Always figured it would be a snake that got him, or a croc would take a limb or two.

RIP
Old 2006-09-05, 06:33 AM   #10
Bob Danger
Tape Terrorist

Car: ?
Class: Retired!

Warning: Prolonged eye contact may cause insanity

I hear they got it on video, I wonder if they will air it?
Old 2006-09-05, 07:25 AM   #11
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

At least he died doing what he loved the most. Instead of passing away in a shitty car crash or something, for example.
Old 2006-09-06, 09:31 PM   #12
Pat R.
EJ251

Car: Red
Class: Stockish

¿Quién es tu padre?

He had a special place in his heart for Stingrays.
Pat R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-06, 09:38 PM   #13
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R.
I sense a magnet in there somewhere
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 09:52 AM   #14
JonnydaJibba
EJ207

Car: 2000 2.5RS
Class: RestNPeace

Master Slurper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R.
Ouch...

This a video some bros made about it. I laughed. Although I felt bad, it's still funny.
http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_i...hOe3lPoVkocMMV
Old 2006-09-07, 10:41 AM   #15
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I heard he might have lived if he hadn't pulled the stinger out...but others say he died from the poison.
Old 2006-09-07, 11:00 AM   #16
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

From what has been released to the public, I think its hard to say. From what I've read, its all speculation at this point.
Old 2006-09-07, 05:33 PM   #17
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Steve Irwin Memorial Tribute Soundboard