Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2014-05-11, 05:41 AM   #1
Street Pirate
n00b

Default 2002 WRX Coilover suggestions?

Im putting back together a 2002 WRX sedan as a daily driver. I would like to install either lowering springs or coilovers but don't want to blow a huge chunk of the budget. Any suggestions? I found a set of Tein coilovers for around 800$ but I'm not sure of there quality. Any input would be helpful.
Street Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-11, 02:07 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Can't speak to the quality of a particular used set of coilovers, but Tein is generally pretty high quality unless they've gone downhill recently. But you rarely know how abused something might have been unless you know the car that's came off of.

For budget coilovers, I like the BC Racing brand. They're kinda all about the hellaflush high schoolers, but I had a set on my Outback and found them to be pretty great for how cheap they were. But like all coilovers, the harshness of pillowballs got to me and I ended up switching to JDM springs and Bilstein struts.

I'm not up on spring + struts on a WRX, but I'm sure you can put together something pretty nice for decent money. I used to be all about "why buy springs and struts when you can get adjustability for around the same price". But I've changed my mind... for a street only driven car, a good set of springs and uprated struts is the only way I'd go now. Especially if there are Bilsteins available for the car. Ever since I got Bilsteins on my Miata, I'm all about them for everything. Turns out I like the German's philosophy on handling more than the Japanese.

Last edited by sperry; 2014-05-11 at 02:23 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 11:40 AM   #3
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I love my Koni inserts and Crucial Springs. They seem to be pretty kickass for everything and way better in all respects as compared to the KYB AGX/Eibach Pro Kit I ran before.