Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2010-09-14, 03:39 PM   #1
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!
Default New Member....

Not sure if this is the correct place for this type of thread, but I thought I'd follow tradition on other forums - post up an introduction.

So, I'm Rory, and rory_a on all the typical forums.

Purchased my first Subaru in July - a '07 WRB WRX Wagon.

No mods so far other than a set of tires - RE070s, with Rota G Force in 17x7.5, flat black. Also, I was experiencing some power surging under acceleration, so IVM dropped in a Walbro. I think I need to replace the additional in-tank filter as well.

Only other mod so far is the car's wrapped to promote my business. I did a rally-inspired vinyl graphic job with glamo-camo and the works. Unfortunately, I've been getting way too much bad attention so it'll be de-graphiced before long. I swear I get at least a half a dozen fingers a day, let alone the ricers trying to race me. So, going back to the basic "blue family wagon" look.

Planning on mild mods to get the suspension a bit better dialed - springs and struts, sways, endlinks, strut bars, some bushings, etc. Also a K&N and exhaust I think.

Plans include some autocrossing, and didn't realize the class/category structure til it was too late - I've put my stock car into Street Prepared with the wheel/tire swap. So, time to do a few other mods to back it up and solidify my placement in that category.

I'm looking forward to my first-ever auto-x October 2-3, and hoping to learn quite a bit before next season so I can hit the ground running with a proper set up.

Anyway, the boys at Infinite Velocity told me to look you guys up after I asked about autocrossing, and I'm glad I did. Good to see a local community around, and a healthy one at that.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-14, 03:46 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Hey Rory, welcome to the board!

FYI: if you're new to autocross, don't stress the classes. You'll quickly learn that the classing structure in SCCA is borderline retarded, and frustrating at best. Reno SCCA has a Novice program for new autocrossers that lets them just show up and run whatever they've got. Get some seat time, get some experience, run a season w/o worrying about the rules (even if you run the rest of this season, you're still eligible to run Novice all next season too). Then once you know more about what you want to do with the car, worry about classing it and modding it to fit the class.

For now, the softer the suspension, the crappier the tires, the more quickly you'll learn to drive fast. Sure, lap times will be probably be lower now, but this way when you do upgrade the car, you'll be better prepared to take full advantage of them later. It's much harder to learn to drive fast in a fast car... all the extra grip covers up little mistakes so it's hard to know what to do to go faster.
Old 2010-09-14, 04:01 PM   #3
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Welcome, I've seen your car, I think it looks bad ass, but I wouldn't want to drive it daily, too bad people suck. See you at Auto X.
Old 2010-09-14, 04:38 PM   #4
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Thanks guys!

Yeah the car isn't hiding anything right now - I set out for an eye catcher, and succeeded But, it also turned into a bird catcher so I think it needs to be subdued a bit. Probably something basic and only flat black... the glamo camo and numbers went a bit too far I guess. Definitely too much for a daily heading to work at a company other than what it's advertising (I work at Eternal across from IVM).

I read enough of the SCCA rule books to figure I screwed myself into the Street Prepared category with a stock car because of the tires. But, I figure run it like it is, hit up what I can of the remainder of the season, collect suspension parts over the winter and when the snow clears up a bit do work. That way at least I'd have a stock car through its first winter with me.

The novice classification was what made me decide to run it as it is the rest of the season - run less than half the season as a novice, you can still run the whole next season as a novice. I was unsure of the size of Reno's Solo 2 group, so wasn't sure what I'd find regarding novice support, but figured the nice people at events would show me the ropes

Again, thanks for the welcome guys. Gonna try to make it out to one of your weekly meets as well if they're still happening. Gave up on the local VW scene when I lost interest in those cars, but feel left out without the group.
Old 2010-09-14, 05:31 PM   #5
GusGus91
EJ205

Car: 2006 WRB WRX TR, 2008 LR STI
Class: Too classy

Dont sweat the petty... Pet the sweaty.

Welcome to the site! I see your car a lot. I see you parked in front of Eternal all the time when I come in there and wondered who you were in there. lol

See ya around soon! You'll hear me come to the shop this winter. Im usually there once a week during the snow months haha

Old 2010-09-14, 07:20 PM   #6
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Welcome, post pics of the car!
Old 2010-09-14, 08:57 PM   #7
scootyc
EJ18

Car: '08 LGT

Hit it, it's clear!

^this
scootyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 08:17 AM   #8
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus91 View Post
Welcome to the site! I see your car a lot. I see you parked in front of Eternal all the time when I come in there and wondered who you were in there. lol

See ya around soon! You'll hear me come to the shop this winter. Im usually there once a week during the snow months haha
Sweet - we love customers who come in every week!!!

I'm always hiding in the back - I'm the web dude. Hardly ever out front if all's well But, I've probably watched you drive up and away (I'm a bit of a stalker in that regard)
Old 2010-09-15, 08:20 AM   #9
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

I took some pics after a gravel road a couple weeks ago when I took the lady to the Sonora area (by the way, California 4 is a helluva road - too much, Sonora Pass is the win!). But, haven't pulled them off the camera yet.

Not much of a picture guy honestly, unless I'm in-build. But, took these at work one day when the future in-laws wanted to see my handy work - this was before the job was complete (side shot and shot of wheel for avatar):
Attached Images

Old 2010-09-15, 08:21 AM   #10
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

(Sorry for the tiny cell phone pics - will take proper ones eventually)
Old 2010-09-15, 09:44 AM   #11
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Car: 05 WRB STI Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Class: 39 TSM

I'm not crazy, I'm just passionate!

Welcome! Wagons are sweet. See you at the Auto-X.
k-dogg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 11:42 AM   #12
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dogg39 View Post
Welcome! Wagons are sweet. See you at the Auto-X.
This.

Be sure to say hi and ask any questions. I'm the big guy in the yellow bugeye wagon marked TESP. I'd love to have some competition in ESP (street prepared). it's not so bad of a class with regard to allowed mods. You can basically go stage 2 with coilovers, sways, big brakes, lightened flywheel, monster wheels and tires, etc. I'm only bummed I can't do a biger hood scoop and TMIC water sprayer.
Old 2010-09-15, 11:50 AM   #13
GusGus91
EJ205

Car: 2006 WRB WRX TR, 2008 LR STI
Class: Too classy

Dont sweat the petty... Pet the sweaty.

Your car makes me wish I had bought a wagon..

Oh well. Car looks good. I like the wheels on it too.

Old 2010-09-15, 12:14 PM   #14
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Oh, and come out to the weekly meet. It's every Thursday. I think I might make my quarterly showing tomorrow.
Old 2010-09-15, 12:24 PM   #15
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Thanks all!

It took me a while to decide on wheels. Ordered 17x8 48mm Rota G Force in Flat Black knowing my plans for graphics. They shipped 17x7.5 48mm. I said screw it, throw 'em on, stock STi size anyway, ya know? Anyway, after finding casting flaws in one and getting a replacement, I'm good to go. No, I think I should have upped the anti and forked out for Enkei RPF1s for summer/track wheels. Oh well, it is what it is.

Now that I'll be removing all of the graphics, I'm so wishing I had gone for 17x8 (maybe with less offset as well) gold G Forces I think they look so much better on the WRB.

I'm super happy with the wagon so far. Replacing a Grand Cherokee, so thought I needed the space. I do, and likely would not have been happy with the alternatives - a cherry '06 Evo (too much) or a decent '05 STi (I thought the fuel economy would have been better in the WRX).

But, thanks for the warm welcome, and kind words. And yep, planning for the auto-x in October.
Old 2010-09-15, 12:25 PM   #16
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Oh, and come out to the weekly meet. It's every Thursday. I think I might make my quarterly showing tomorrow.
The weekly meets still at Woody's, Thursdays, 7pm? I'll have to see if the better half wants to head down there.
Old 2010-09-15, 01:19 PM   #17
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Your car makes me think, there are huge birds where you live.

I like your wheels.
Old 2010-09-15, 03:13 PM   #18
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100_Percent_Juice View Post
Your car makes me think, there are huge birds where you live.

I like your wheels.
Bigger than you'd believe Actually, you're not the first to say that. Funny though, 'cause it's a pretty decent camo representation, with more coverage. As it is, it does look like poop in many ways (imo).
Old 2010-09-15, 03:56 PM   #19
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
Planning on mild mods to get the suspension a bit better dialed - springs and struts, sways, endlinks, strut bars, some bushings, etc. Also a K&N and exhaust I think.
When you are ready to get this going I have some STI wagon specific pink springs I could sell for a good deal if you are interested.
Old 2010-09-15, 03:59 PM   #20
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dogg39 View Post
When you are ready to get this going I have some STI wagon specific pink springs I could sell for a good deal if you are interested.
Couple those with Koni Inserts and you'll basically have my setup...which owns.

I also have 22mm adjustable sways and solid endlinks.
Old 2010-09-15, 04:27 PM   #21
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

My plan was for RCE Yellows and Tokico D-Specs as I want low, and can't afford Koni inserts, with Com Cs and OE rear top hats. Also, 22 adjustable sways and endlinks (likely a bugeye sedan rear for a while though - $ ). So, a lower, poor mans version of your set ups.

How much drop do the STi Wagon Pinks give, and how's the ride - if possible, compared to stock, and what you're on now. Figure the car will get 15k+ miles a year, not a garage queen by any means, so daily comfort is up there in requirements. Also, what struts were you on with them?
Old 2010-09-15, 04:45 PM   #22
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

I paid $624, shipped, for the Konis. Just hit up the normal Nasioc vendors. The one I used is out of business now but others were pretty close to that price. It's $224 more than I paid for KYB AGX back in 2004, but they're totally worth the extra dough and additional installation difficulties. The car rides better and handles better.
Old 2010-09-15, 06:13 PM   #23
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
My plan was for RCE Yellows and Tokico D-Specs as I want low, and can't afford Koni inserts, with Com Cs and OE rear top hats. Also, 22 adjustable sways and endlinks (likely a bugeye sedan rear for a while though - $ ). So, a lower, poor mans version of your set ups.

How much drop do the STi Wagon Pinks give, and how's the ride - if possible, compared to stock, and what you're on now. Figure the car will get 15k+ miles a year, not a garage queen by any means, so daily comfort is up there in requirements. Also, what struts were you on with them?
Specs:
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...roducts_id=627

Not too much of a drop but stiffens it up a good amount. I think the drop is somewhat similar to what the RCE yellows are at, but not sure. I haven't been stock for quite a while but these are still a very comfortable ride, just gives the corners a little more love, and gets rid of some of the body roll . I was on stock struts when I was using these springs. Compared to what I am on now much different as I am on coilovers .
Old 2010-09-15, 07:34 PM   #24
JoeWRX
EJ22

Car: C63 AMG

oops...

Make sure you go for a ride with k-dogg.... He'll show you what a beast his wagon is
JoeWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 10:43 AM   #25
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWRX View Post
Make sure you go for a ride with k-dogg.... He'll show you what a beast his wagon is

I'm down to fill any passenger seat that has room - anyone down to give me a fun run ride, or ride along with me, I'll cover it, and appreciate it