Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > Reviews

Reviews Post reviews of vendors & aftermarket parts, as well as find local shops for working on your Subaru.

Old 2009-04-07, 06:38 PM   #1
wildfirefli
EJ22

Thumbs up Allison Automotive

Allison had been decent to me everytime. They just replaced Chris' bolts that broke off under warranty. They match or beat competitor prices. But I haven't done any serious work done, just changing oil n stuff.

Last edited by sperry; 2009-04-08 at 09:22 AM.
wildfirefli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 08:27 AM   #2
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Yah, that's crazy that Allison warrantied his broken lug studs given the amount of aftermarket stuff on his car. And their parts dept. price matching online prices for fluids was pretty crazy too. Especially since they just took his word on the price.
Old 2009-04-08, 10:29 AM   #3
szucchet
EJ22

Car: 2004 Subaru STI
Class: 04 TSM

smooth is fast

my buddy spun a crank bearing at 18k on a stock 06 evo with extended warranty. he took it to allison and they voided his warranty and gave his car back in pieces (crank and pistons sitting in backseat) and a bill for 500 bucks because he had an exeddy clutch that was installed at a shop, "hey said that "the clutch made the motor over rev itself". I personally think that is s**t service but thats just my opinion
szucchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 10:32 AM   #4
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

That really sucks, but what would Allison's side of the story have been? Did he say it was stock hoping they wouldn't notice the aftermarket clutch?
Old 2009-04-08, 11:01 AM   #5
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by szucchet View Post
my buddy spun a crank bearing at 18k on a stock 06 evo with extended warranty. he took it to allison and they voided his warranty and gave his car back in pieces (crank and pistons sitting in backseat) and a bill for 500 bucks because he had an exeddy clutch that was installed at a shop, "hey said that "the clutch made the motor over rev itself". I personally think that is s**t service but thats just my opinion
How is an EVO with an Exeddy clutch a "stock 06 evo"? Granted, the clutch probably didn't cause the motor to fail, but good luck getting something fixed under the drivetrain warranty if you've started replacing parts of the drivetrain. Especially if the car already needed a clutch at 18k miles, which implies abuse, something Allison is within their rights to use as proof of a legitimate warranty denial.
Old 2009-04-08, 02:54 PM   #6
MikeK
Captain Turbo

Car: 05 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by szucchet View Post
I'm with Scott on this one. Anyone who modifies anything on the drivetrain then expects to still be under warranty is fooling themselves.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 04:58 PM   #7
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

I worked there for 6 months. They did plenty of warranty work on Evo transmissions and clutches, and were pretty accepting of aftermarket parts as long as it wasn't related to the problem. However, any warranty work on any Evo had to be pre-approved by the regional service manager, who works for Mitsubishi North America. So it's in no way up to Allison what gets covered when it comes to any Evo.

Last edited by khail19; 2009-04-08 at 05:01 PM.
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 07:06 PM   #8
van
SECCS Brewmeister

On a personal note, The Allison's are good people.
They will do their best to work any situation out and make everyone happy, within reason. They are running a business so they probably won't extend too much leniency to a modified car where they are going to have to foot the repair bill themselves.

Last edited by van; 2009-04-08 at 07:07 PM. Reason: gonig is not a word
van is offline   Reply With Quote