Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2013-04-09, 01:33 PM   #1
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"
Default windshield replacement

So my sti needs a new windshield.

safelite says 268$ Mobile , Bright glass is 260 in store only. and fast glass is 178$ .. i love being cheap and saving money .. but that much of an under cut makes me worry .. like will my radio still work , or other issues

anyone gone with fast glass before?

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 01:48 PM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

The difference is usually in the quality of the glass. The cheap glass tends to be made in china stuff that makes the world look a little bit wavy. Probably not a big deal on a car that's going racing or a winter beater that will get sandblasted immediately.

I've got the cheap glass on my wrx and I can see a little aberration looking out the passenger side of the windshield. But it's nothing that's concerning.
Old 2013-04-09, 02:27 PM   #3
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

good to know. maybe i'll give the cheaper glass a try . I just wonder if it chips easier, although wavy might bug me...

Old 2013-04-09, 02:38 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
good to know. maybe i'll give the cheaper glass a try . I just wonder if it chips easier, although wavy might bug me...
It never bothered me. Hell, the $2000 factory replacement glass in my SVX was worse. It's just not perfect glass. For all we know, the more expensive stuff isn't much better even though it should be.

Besides, it will probably be chipped in the next 6 months considering the "roads" you drive on. Next time it's cracked, you can go with the more expensive glass if this one bothers you.
Old 2013-04-09, 03:57 PM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I *think* it was Safelite that replaced my windshield in May of 2011. They came to my job and did it there. I know they are the ones that repaired the crack I got later. My insurance paid for both the initial replacement and the repair. The insurance deductible was payed for by Safelite. It seems like good glass, I just got nailed by a rock on the freeway is all. My previous glass was very badly pitted so I was so glad to get new glass.

When I called them, I begged them to see if they could get one with some sort of sun guard at the top, like the later model WRX's. They said I'd have to go to a tint shop to get one added so I was a little bummed. But when the guy showed up to install the glass at my work, it had that oldschool blue hue at the top that fades to clear like 4 inches below the top...
Old 2013-04-09, 06:44 PM   #6
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Look at the glass with a pair of polarized glasses to see how bad it is. If it is too bad, reject it.
Old 2013-04-09, 08:20 PM   #7
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

I've had 5 windshields from Fast Glass for different vehicles, one being the wrx. They are the cheapest place and they repair chips for free on any windshield you buy from them. The windshield looked amazing when it first went into the wrx. Had the dark fade like Cody said and there were no wavy parts like Scott mentioned. Then I drove to Vegas the next week and encountered the worst windstorm of all time. It was completely sand blasted. I thus can't tell you if its the same or less superior to "factory" glass when it comes to being pitted. However, I would never spend top dollar on a windshield because of the frequency glass gets damaged around here.
Old 2013-04-11, 09:25 AM   #8
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

I just scheduled with fast glass. i Have a 50% rule. if i can buy made in america for no more than 50% extra than made in china i automatically buy made in america.. mostly because i work in the US and want jobs to be here. and there's the whole political angle (not getting into) and their currency manipulation..

But anyways. its 228 in store vs the 168 for the cheaper (china made) windshield. appointment is on Saturday which isn't ideal for racing on sunday .. but I did the same thing in the rally car, before a rally , even had a crash and got my car stuck on its side with out an issue.. (course that car has a roll cage) ..

but i should be fine for autox ..

Old 2013-04-11, 11:57 AM   #9
WRXlerate
EJ22

Car: 02 Soccermom Wagon
Class: "sleeper"

Destroying V8 Egos 4 cylinders at a time

I'm a little late to the party...
I'd check with Glass Pro. They have always had good prices and have never done me wrong. My windshield in my WRX is from them. Held up ok to our crappy roads. They had the shade at the top too and was cheaper than without the shade. I went without so I could use my radar mounted up high.
It's been a couple yrs I can't recall how much mine was...
Old 2013-04-11, 01:01 PM   #10
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXlerate View Post
I'm a little late to the party...
I'd check with Glass Pro. They have always had good prices and have never done me wrong. My windshield in my WRX is from them. Held up ok to our crappy roads. They had the shade at the top too and was cheaper than without the shade. I went without so I could use my radar mounted up high.
It's been a couple yrs I can't recall how much mine was...
The reason I was so gung ho on the old school blue tint at the top was because it hides my radar detector without keeping it from working. I know the "tint" at the top of the OEM windshields in 2004 (and later, I'm sure) was little dots that would probably affect the detector.
Old 2013-04-18, 12:40 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

So, this thread got me moving on all the busted glass in my driveway.

Just had the WRX and the Miata windshields replaced by Fast Glass. Online quote for the Miata was $160 something... but when I called in yesterday, they quoted me $149 for each car, and no charge to come to me since I was doing two cars. So, $298 out the door and I've got new glass in both the track cars now.

The installer was even nice enough to pull the WRX glass out, then do the Miata while I painted the parts of the roll-cage I could never get to before with the windshield in.

Haven't driven either car yet, but with my polarized glasses on I couldn't see anything odd about the glass. WRX glass included the OEM Subaru weather stripping. Miata glass used a universal stripping.
Old 2013-04-18, 06:37 PM   #12
A1337STI
EJ205

"pedal on the right"

Sweet. 2 for 1 deal... next time I'll have to team up with someone and do a double deal