Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2010-09-28, 07:45 AM   #26
DARKSTI
EJ22

Car: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

It's not that I'm lazy, It's that I don't care.

I also love the WS60s, getting another set this year, very satisfied with them in every part of the spectrum.
Old 2010-09-28, 09:48 AM   #27
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus91 View Post
I LOVE my WS60's. I was able to plow through snow and ice with no problem last season. I highly recommend them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSTI View Post
I also love the WS60s, getting another set this year, very satisfied with them in every part of the spectrum.
Did they wear out quickly? I got 3 Winters out of my Wintersport 3D's and they still have half the tread left so I'm selling them for $50.
Old 2010-09-28, 10:32 AM   #28
DARKSTI
EJ22

Car: '07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

It's not that I'm lazy, It's that I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Did they wear out quickly? I got 3 Winters out of my Wintersport 3D's and they still have half the tread left so I'm selling them for $50.
Mine did last year although I had a trip down to Lake Havasu and Vegas before the temps became "friendly" for snow tires (80+) in those areas and with the roads I drove they wore down to wear bars near the middle of March. To be honest though I am slightly hard on tires since I drive a ton and do a lot of road trips to hotter spots even in winter so YMMV.
Old 2010-09-28, 11:08 AM   #29
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Anyone know of a good resource for good tread life data on Winter tires? The only place I can find that is on the TR survey results, which are hard to trust.
Old 2010-09-28, 12:59 PM   #30
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Car: 05 WRB STI Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Class: 39 TSM

I'm not crazy, I'm just passionate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSTI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus91 View Post
I LOVE my WS60's. I was able to plow through snow and ice with no problem last season. I highly recommend them.
I liked mine as well.

Quote:
Mine lasted two winters. I may have been able to get a third, but it would have been close. Mostly due to some camber wear, but I popped one so I will be getting new ones anyway. I got them for the GF as well before last winter, so I will have to look at hers and see how the wear is. She drives alot more than I do on her commute.
k-dogg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 01:26 PM   #31
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I ran the Wintersport M3's on the SVX for 3 winters. The first winter actually lasted into July... I clearly remember driving to CA for the 4th of July weekend in 90+ deg temps thinking "many, I'm trashing these snows, aren't I?".

But in the end even with the winter tread worn away, they've still got plenty of life in them just for getting around on. I would have run them one last winter this season if I didn't have to upgrade to 17" wheels to clear my new brakes.
Old 2010-10-01, 01:38 PM   #32
k-dogg39
Little Slugger

Car: 05 WRB STI Wagon/00 BRP GC Sedan
Class: 39 TSM

I'm not crazy, I'm just passionate!

I'm sure you have seen this thread, but you could post up and Luke from tirerack will give some recommendations.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...9#post32048919
k-dogg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-01, 01:47 PM   #33
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

I forogot all about that thread. Good idea.
Old 2010-10-01, 02:46 PM   #34
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
I can't find Hankook Winter i*cept evo in 205/55/16 anywhere.
Discount Tire says they won't have them for at least a month and a half. They're $118/tire in my size, anyway...more than I expected.

They quoted me $108/tire ($529.37 out the door with me keeping my existing set) for a new set of Wintersport 3D's. But he also said, "just let us know what we have to do to earn your business," so I'm sure there's room to talk them down with a competitive quote.
Old 2010-10-01, 02:51 PM   #35
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

If it's at all helpful to know, I just bought a set of 245/45/17 Wintersport 3D's from TireRack for the SVX this winter.
Old 2010-10-06, 09:08 AM   #36
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
If it's at all helpful to know, I just bought a set of 245/45/17 Wintersport 3D's from TireRack for the SVX this winter.
Also, I think I'm going with the new Bridgestone Blizzak WS70's for Lisa's Outback. The WS60's have awesome reviews and the WS70's sound like more of the same. My only concern is that they may be kinda loud... at least louder than the Wintersport 3Ds I just put on the SVX... as the Outback will be the car we take on trips over the pass on the freeway.

But I figure, the Outback doesn't benefit much from the sportier dry handling of the Wintersports, so I might as well get a bit better snow/ice traction and save some money with a set of the WS70's.

<shameless plug> BTW: I still have that set of barely worn Falken ziex 912's in 225/45/17 that are fantastic all-seasons for sale! </plugless shame>
Old 2010-10-06, 09:27 AM   #37
A1337STI
EJ205

Car: Impreza and an Impreza
Class: AS / CRS PerfStock

"pedal on the right"

The conti extreme contacts are an amazing tire (as far as rally cross is concerned) and usually i see a very high connection between rallyX grip and snowy road grip. the sidewalls are a bit soft, softer than the M3s , J.stewart had a few Debeads on the conti's while rally crossing (he loves to huck his car sideways into ruts and never lifts) ...

the general articmax studded tires are amazing in the snow, they only problem you'll have is fighting off over confidence.

A1337STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 11:08 AM   #38
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but is running snow-specific tires truly worth the cost?

I have the RE070s for summer, not thinking of running them anymore until March-ish. But, been considering either snow-specific or all-season tires (yes Scott, I know you have some Falken Ziexs available ).

I've run both all-seasons and studded snows on my 4-wheel-drives in the past, and truly loved how solid the Grand Cherokee was on studded Winter Force, but the "hassle" of maintaining a lower freeway speed, and not being able (or at least wanting) to drive the car into warmer areas is indicative that all-seasons might be a better choice.

At this time I'm leaning more towards running some all-seasons (something like a set of used Falken Ziexs, for example ) year round and keeping the RE070s for fun (when does next season start???).

My driving consists of 30-40 miles commute daily from Stead to Sparks, with absolutely no leeway for being late because of snow. I head over to Tahoe often, but not regularly - hoping to get the snowmobiles out more than a few times this year, but last year we only got them out once. Also, my bum knees mean I don't ride much if at all.

Anyway, looking for thoughts here as to the what would truly be more cost-effective in the long run, yet still dependable to get to work - snows (studded or not) or all-seasons???

My current options are used studded snows for the stock 17" wheels for $150, used all-seasons for the stock 17" wheels (or a 17x8 ) for roughly $250, or used all-seasons on 18" wheels for $500. And being the materialistic, fashion over function kinda guy that I am, I'm leaning towards the 18" set up for daily use.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 11:19 AM   #39
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

The only good reason for running all-season tires is the lack of ability to run multiple sets of wheels. They're a compromise 100% of the time, so stick to real winter tires around here. It's possible that in the long term the winter tires could end up costing you a little more, but the peace of mind from the better snow performance is worth it IMO.
Old 2010-10-07, 11:19 AM   #40
Kevin M
EJ22T

Oh, and FWIW in the thread- I'm going with the Continentals on the Forester.
Old 2010-10-07, 11:25 AM   #41
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post
Pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but is running snow-specific tires truly worth the cost?

I have the RE070s for summer, not thinking of running them anymore until March-ish. But, been considering either snow-specific or all-season tires (yes Scott, I know you have some Falken Ziexs available ).

I've run both all-seasons and studded snows on my 4-wheel-drives in the past, and truly loved how solid the Grand Cherokee was on studded Winter Force, but the "hassle" of maintaining a lower freeway speed, and not being able (or at least wanting) to drive the car into warmer areas is indicative that all-seasons might be a better choice.

At this time I'm leaning more towards running some all-seasons (something like a set of used Falken Ziexs, for example ) year round and keeping the RE070s for fun (when does next season start???).

My driving consists of 30-40 miles commute daily from Stead to Sparks, with absolutely no leeway for being late because of snow. I head over to Tahoe often, but not regularly - hoping to get the snowmobiles out more than a few times this year, but last year we only got them out once. Also, my bum knees mean I don't ride much if at all.

Anyway, looking for thoughts here as to the what would truly be more cost-effective in the long run, yet still dependable to get to work - snows (studded or not) or all-seasons???

My current options are used studded snows for the stock 17" wheels for $150, used all-seasons for the stock 17" wheels (or a 17x8 ) for roughly $250, or used all-seasons on 18" wheels for $500. And being the materialistic, fashion over function kinda guy that I am, I'm leaning towards the 18" set up for daily use.
Used all seasons are probably gonna suck the first time you hit snow or ice on them. The big exception seems to be the Conti All Seasons discussed earlier in this thread. They are really Performance Winters with decent "All Season" type road manners, basically a nice compromise for those on the fence or like Amanda, those that want to run the same tire all year but not die in the Winter...

Otherwise grab some Wintersport 3D's since they are also a "do it all" Winter tire, but probably better in the snow and ice than the Conti's.

I don't really like any of your 3 proposed options, unless you're okay with dealing with the studded tires in good weather or don't have to drive when there's snow/slush/ice on the ground (then do the used all seasons).
Old 2010-10-07, 11:25 AM   #42
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
Oh, and FWIW in the thread- I'm going with the Continentals on the Forester.
Which ones?
Old 2010-10-07, 11:29 AM   #43
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the studded route for cost but would prefer studless snows for noise and flying studs. Been on studded snows the last three years and the 5.9's torque definitely warrented the studs. But don't think they're necessary for the WRX.

Now, looking for a smokin deal on Wintersports or similar for the stockers.
Old 2010-10-07, 11:29 AM   #44
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
Which ones?
x2
Old 2010-10-07, 11:33 AM   #45
rory_a
EJ251

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Quote:
I don't really like any of your 3 proposed options, unless you're okay with dealing with the studded tires in good weather or don't have to drive when there's snow/slush/ice on the ground (then do the used all seasons).

If my G Forces were Hyper Black or another silver color I'd throw them on Jenn's '10 with Scott's Falkens or the Conti all-seasons - she's starting to want to play more which would allow me to pick up some RPF1s for summers on the WRX. But she's not at all ok with black wheels.

(she's a teacher, and never HAS to drive in snow/slush/ice)
Old 2010-10-07, 11:40 AM   #46
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Which ones?
The ExtremeWinterContacts of course. Or have we brought up another Continental snow tire here?
Old 2010-10-07, 11:54 AM   #47
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
The ExtremeWinterContacts of course. Or have we brought up another Continental snow tire here?
In this thread the Continental ExtremeContact DWS have been discussed at great lengths. They're a great All Season choice for this area.

Last edited by cody; 2010-10-07 at 11:57 AM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-07, 01:43 PM   #48
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory_a View Post

My 2 cents echos the replies above.

If you've got the space and the money up-front, a set of dedicated studless snow tires is awesome. In the long run, the cost is hardly more because event though you've got two sets of tires for the car, you're wearing them out half as fast. Really the only added cost is the cost of the wheels for the snow tires.

If you don't *have* to drive in the snow, then I would recommend some good all-seasons for the car and just forgo the hassle of swapping wheels (not that it's a huge hassle). Simply put, Subaru's AWD system is pretty damn awesome, to the point where getting caught out in the snow on all-seasons isn't ever a big deal... you're not going to get stuck somewhere.

But if you have to drive in the snow regularly, you might as well run some snow tires since they're so much better than all-seasons, esp. on ice. Plus, now you can run a sticky no-compromise performance tire in the summer for autocross.

As far as studded tires... I wouldn't ever bother, unless I lived in Truckee or something. The snow in Reno is infrequent enough to make studs overkill. Also, for similar reasons, I tend to look for snow tires that have the best dry road ratings rather than snow/ice ratings. 90% of the winter, the roads are dry around here. Even driving over Donner, it's usually pretty clear because they plow so much. It's only on the days where it's actively snowed that you really need the snow/ice traction, so I like tires like the Wintersports as they're still very competent tires in the dry.
Old 2010-10-07, 03:35 PM   #49
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
In this thread the Continental ExtremeContact DWS have been discussed at great lengths. They're a great All Season choice for this area.

That's what I meant, got the name wrong. Continental's worse than Bridgestone about giving every tire they make basically the same name so I never really bothered to try to decipher it. In my brain it's just been "the new Continental winter tire" for like 5 months.
Old 2010-10-07, 04:13 PM   #50
cody
Candy Mountain

OMG Internet!

The Conti ExtremeWinterContacts look like a great Studless Ice and Snow tire and considering that they're only $254 (after $50 AE card), they're $141 less than the 3D's ($395 after AE card) in my size. Decisions, decisions.