Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Classifieds > User Classifieds

User Classifieds Got stuff to sell? Looking for something to buy? Check here!

Old 2002-12-23, 04:47 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Autometer Gauges FS... I think

Hey ya'll

I'm thinking I'm going to sell my Autometer gauges (Mech. Boost -30mmHg to +30psi, EGT, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Clock). I'm thinking about converting the gauge lightinbg in my car to red (ala BMW) and I don't like the way the color of the red condoms in the gauges looks. Plus I'm also thinking I'd rather have a system with playback and warning lights, etc.

So, pending the way the red dash conversion goes, and the pricing on some Omori or Defi gauges, I'll probably try to sell these in January...

I'd like to sell them locally, and if someone local wants them, I'll even help do the install (which should be easy since I've done it once, and all the oil stuff is bolt on since I made my own Aux oil gallery adapter). I might also be looking to sell the Autometer pillar pod.

Here's some pics of the oil adapter, and the gauges:
http://www.doink.net/gallery/index.p...rma-Cool%20Mod
http://www.doink.net/gallery/index.p...Pod%20Pics%202
http://www.doink.net/gallery/index.p...res/Pod%20Pics

Anyone interested?
Old 2002-12-31, 08:42 AM   #2
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon

do you still want to sell them? if so, how much and can you help me install if i get a pod or something?
ArthurS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002-12-31, 04:27 PM   #3
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

I'm still farting around with my gauge lighting... I'm not sure the Autometer's will be unacceptable yet. If they are, I'll see what I can do about getting them to you on the cheap, and I've got no problem helping with the install.
Old 2003-01-01, 01:13 PM   #4
ArthurS
EJ207

cool.
Old 2003-01-07, 12:30 PM   #5
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm willing to sell my gauges. I've decided the color of them just doesn't match the red dash mod, and I'm thinking the new Defi gauges look sick, plus they have all the record/peak ability, etc. Too bad they're gonna cost me like $1000.. ugh!

Here's the breakdown of what I paid for the Autometers (some prices are right, some are estimates):

$155.00 Modified Stock Gauge housing and 52mm gauge mask
$43.95 Autometer Sport-Comp 52mm Boost Gauge (3303)
$49.95 Autometer Sport-Comp 52mm Elec. Oil Press (3327)
$45.00 Autometer Sport-Comp 52mm Elec. Oil Temp
$84.95 Autometer Sport-Comp 52mm EGT (3365)
$96.95 Autometer Comp EGT probe kit (5244)
$40.00 Autometer Z-Series 52mm Clock
$15.00 Customize Clock with Sport-Comp Bezel
$30.00 Perma-Cool Sanwich Adapter and misc fittings
$50.00 EGT Bung welding
$30.00 Autometer dual 52mm gauge A-pillar pod
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
$640.80 Total for Gauges

I think, that's about all the stuff I bought for them... heh

I'm willing to sell for around $400, plus all I can do the installation (shouldn't take more than a few hours, since I took a lot of care to make them plug-n-play). You'll get all the gauges, all the senders, the oil sandwhich adapter (that allows super easy bolt on installation of the oil temp/press sensors), and I'll swap my passenger side header with yours so you'll even get the professionally welded EGT bung! This also includes the center gauge pod, and the a-pillar gauge pod *with* the stock a-pillar piece under it (so you don't have to cut anything!) I also made a plug-n-play wiring harness for the gauges that'll allow you to move them around in any order you want w/o having to rewire.

Let me know if you're interested!
Old 2003-01-07, 02:43 PM   #6
ArthurS
EJ207

Yea, i am still interested. again, I have no clue when it comes to installing gauges. And I assume they will work fine with the stock setup until I am able to get a stage (?) done to my car.

I think I have finally constructed a plan for my car. I plan on getting the T/C installed with tranny cooler, stage-0 vishnu, p7 rims, gdb grill, tires, tint, gauges, and possibly a big brake kit. After that I may just leave it alone for awhile.
Old 2003-01-07, 03:08 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Yep, the gauges will work good with a stock setup. In fact it's usually recommended to get the gauges before modding, so you know what's "normal" for your car.

As far as the guages, there's 4 that need input from the motor:

Boost: the gauges is mechanical, there's a hose that's attached to the manifold (via a simple T fitting) that runs to the back of the gauge.

Oil Press/Temp: these gauges are electrical, and have sensor units that need to be inline with hot oil under pressure. A good place to find hot/presurized oil is in the oil filter. I built a sandwhich adapter (it's sandwiched between the filter and the oil return) that has ports for the oil temp and pressure sensors, and is bolt on. The alternative is using the auxiliary oil gallery on the block, which involves removing the altinator to get to it... screw that!

EGT: this is the hardest gauge to install. It's a temperature probe that need to be welded into the exhaust manifold. I removed my manifold, and took it to a shop and had the bung welded on. Then I cut the heat shield to get it to fit. Since the whole things allready done, I'll just swap manifolds with you, since the bung won't work for me when I get Defi gauges. Swapping the mainfold will be the hardest part, but I've removed mine enough times, that it'll only take a few hours to swap.

All the interior wiring is pretty easy with the harnesses I made. We'll have to tap power from the Hazard light switch for the lighting/dimmer. Plus the switched and constant on power leads, but it's all in once place... so no major drama there!

I've got all the tools necessary for the install, so we can do it in my garage, prolly over a Saturday sometime, so we'll have Sunday to finish up if we lose time for a broken bolt or something.

Let me know what you wanna do!
Old 2003-01-07, 03:21 PM   #8
ArthurS
EJ207

Yea that sounds cool. I just dropped some extra cash into my bumper. It turns out after my parents paid for most of the repairs at the shop, they found out my bumper reinforment was bent. So I had to come up with 300$ to get that fixed also. But finally, My bumper will be fixed and look brand new again! Plus they are going to re-detail the car and buff some scratches out.

So, I can get the money around the 31st, (next payday) and we can do it that upcoming weekend.
Old 2003-01-07, 03:29 PM   #9
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

So Feb, 1/2? That should work for me!

I'm out of town on the weekend of the 8/9th for a wedding in San Luis Obispo, so if there's some delay for the 1/2nd, then we'll have to wait till the 15/16th... ooh, that's Daytona!
Old 2003-01-07, 03:57 PM   #10
ArthurS
EJ207

Feb. 1/2 will be fine. I may be able to get it all togeather on the 17th of jan. as long as the body shop doesn't charge me any more hidden fees for my bumper.
Old 2003-01-17, 01:53 PM   #11
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Hey, are you still down for a gauge install this weekend (Jan 18), or are you heading out of town?
Old 2003-01-17, 02:30 PM   #12
ArthurS
EJ207

I will be out of town tonight and tomorrow day. I just picked up my car and its running great, so gatta go watch my bro wrestle. I will be back all day sunday, and i have mondya off also. So Sunday and Monday work for you?
Old 2003-01-17, 02:35 PM   #13
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Sunday's cool, 'cept for the football games we'll miss!! I got work Monday.

We can throw the games on the radio, or drag a tv into the garage tho, so if you want to do it Sunday, I'm down. We gotta start early tho, say 9am?

Lemme know what you wanna do! I'm down.
Old 2003-01-17, 02:36 PM   #14
ArthurS
EJ207

Ill let you know tomorrow night for sure. I might stay another night there at my buddies townhouse at St. Mary's college. Ill let you know for sure tomorrow.
Old 2003-02-03, 09:06 AM   #15
ArthurS
EJ207

Last night all the gauges were install by Scott on my car. They look great and have no porblems. We ran into a few stiches during the install, like the A-pillar on the wagon is different then the sedan. But everything looks terrific.

Thanks for helping me for over 8 hours and countless small injuries. Ill post some pics later on.
Old 2003-02-03, 09:20 AM   #16
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

No problem man! I enjoy working on stuff like that... even with the 31 cuts I just counted on my hands... (see they're not countless!). Actually, all 31 cuts added up[ are still not as bad as that 1 your got on yer finger... ow!

I was thinking about the A-pillar issues. Autometer is supposed to release an instrument cluster bezel soon... well soon's relative, it was supposed to be out a year ago... Anyway, the bezel fits around the existing instruments adding 2 pods on either side for gauges. If that part ever comes out, it'd be a nice alternative to the A-pillar pod that doesn't quite fit. You'd have to order a new a-pillar trim piece. I ordered one from SubieGal on NASIOC... it was about $20 shipped.

Man, what's up with Subaru making two different sized a-pillars? Any why doesn't Autometer make a pod for the wagon... that doesn't sound like good engineering.
Old 2003-02-03, 09:50 AM   #17
ArthurS
EJ207

Maybe the people at autometer thought the wagons would never want gauges?!? I dunno.
Old 2003-02-03, 09:54 AM   #18
sperry
The Doink

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Maybe the people at autometer thought the wagons would never want gauges?!? I dunno.
I bet they got a sedan in for test fitting, and figured they were the same as the wagon... I'm sure by now they know they're different, but it takes a while to spool up production on parts like that, if they're even bothering to make one specific to the wagon.